Who is the Avs #4 Prospect?

• D - Nicolas Meloche - 2015 #40 - (5)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
2019 1st rounder Alex Newhook wins the race for #3 as the field begins to widen. Nic Meloche added.

PositionPlayerDraft2019 Rank2018 RankChange
RDCale Makar2017 #41 (96.7%)10
LDBowen Byram2019 #42 (98.1%)--
CAlex Newhook2019 #163 (60.0%)--
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver
73f07f805a0ac0165ab2bd0f09bc1375cd0812da578a97bae454cde2c1ddff30.jpg

Add Kovalenko

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I’m surprised to see Timmins leading this poll. I feel like Kaut has a better chance of becoming a solid pro.

This is encouraging though, I’m glad to hear so many people are high on Timmins.

Last edited:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I’m surprised to see Timmins leading this poll. I feel like Kaut has a better chance of becoming a solid pro.

This is encouraging though, I’m glad to hear so many people are high on Timmins.

On pure upside Timmins is clearly ahead of Kaut imo. So I think that’s where people’s opinions will come in, whether they base it more on upside or likeliness to make the NHL.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
On pure upside Timmins is clearly ahead of Kaut imo. So I think that’s where people’s opinions will come in, whether they base it more on upside or likeliness to make the NHL.

His lack of top-end skating bumps him below Kaut for me, but I hear what you’re saying about upside. I certainly don’t see Kaut ever becoming a first line player for the Avs.

Last edited:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
His lack of top-end skating bumps him below Kaut for me, but I hear you what you’re saying about upside. I certainly don’t see Kaut ever becoming a first line player for the Avs.

And I think with Timmins play style he won’t need elite skating. He could be an above average skater and still become a top pairing guy imo. And that’s what really swings it to Timmins for me, that(even if unlikely) he could be a top pairing dman where Kaut is gonna be more of a high end 3rd liner/low end 2nd liner.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
His lack of top-end skating bumps him below Kaut for me, but I hear what you’re saying about upside. I certainly don’t see Kaut ever becoming a first line player for the Avs.

Weird thing to focus on here... I don't think Tims is all that great of a skater (he'll be average or slightly above if he pans out), but Kaut isn't all that great of a skater either. He will be average maybe a touch above. He's not a high end skater.

Reactions: Barklez

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Weird thing to focus on here... I don't think Tims is all that great of a skater (he'll be average or slightly above if he pans out), but Kaut isn't all that great of a skater either. He will be average maybe a touch above. He's not a high end skater.

I just meant that I don’t think Timmins is a high end skater and that’s what limits his upside for me.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I just meant that I don’t think Timmins is a high end skater and that’s what limits his upside for me.

Scout in what you believe and learn from when you're wrong... if you think it is necessary by all means stick to it. What I will say is that you increase in size, skating becomes less and less of an issue. I look at somebody like Ryan McDonagh, he's not the greatest skater, but he has some mobility (I'd say he's just above average). At 6'1" 215... he can get away with not being a high end skater. He gets by on IQ, some aggression, good stick, and surprising hands (not great but always better than people think). Timmins has similar strengths and plays a similar game.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Scout in what you believe and learn from when you're wrong... if you think it is necessary by all means stick to it. What I will say is that you increase in size, skating becomes less and less of an issue. I look at somebody like Ryan McDonagh, he's not the greatest skater, but he has some mobility (I'd say he's just above average). At 6'1" 215... he can get away with not being a high end skater. He gets by on IQ, some aggression, good stick, and surprising hands (not great but always better than people think). Timmins has similar strengths and plays a similar game.

I’m not entirely sure what your first two sentences mean, but I don’t disagree with your analysis of Timmins. I’m not sure how much his offence will translate to the next level, but he’s always been good on the defensive side.

My only concern is he hasn’t played much hockey in the last while and I don’t really know what he’s going to look like.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I’m not entirely sure what your first two sentences mean, but I don’t disagree with your analysis of Timmins. I’m not sure how much his offence will translate to the next level, but he’s always been good on the defensive side.

My only concern is he hasn’t played much hockey in the last while and I don’t really know what he’s going to look like.
Basically stick to your guns, but if you miss learn from it. :nod:

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Basically stick to your guns, but if you miss learn from it. :nod:

Gotcha. Yeah, I have no issues admitting when I’m wrong. I like Timmins, I’m just a little lower on him after the injuries.

I really hope the poster above is right in saying his upside is close to Makar’s, because if they have similar value it’s pretty much over for the rest of the league.

upload_2019-7-9_16-11-47.gif

Reactions: missionAvs

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Gotcha. Yeah, I have no issues admitting when I’m wrong. I like Timmins, I’m just a little lower on him after the injuries.

I really hope the poster above is right in saying his upside is close to Makar’s, because if they have similar value it’s pretty much over for the rest of the league.

View attachment 243769

Did you watch the tournaments that they played together. There were times when even commentary themselves compared Makar and Timmins. They said that Timmins might be even better overall player. Speed was not an issue for Timmins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad