HFAvs Prospect Ranking Poll #14

Who is the Avs #14 Prospect?

• C - Josh Dickinson - Undrafted - (New)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • C - Brandon Saigeon - 2018 #140 - (New)

• LW - Travis Barron - 2016 #191 - (24)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Nikolai Kovalenko edges out the competition despite signing a 3 year KHL contract this week.

PlayerDraft2018 Rank2017 RankChange
D - Cale Makar2017 #41 (100%)1+0
RW - Martin Kaut2018 #162 (49.1%)--
D - Conor Timmins2017 #323 (70.8%)7+4
C - Shane Bowers2017 #28 (TR)4 (76.1%)--
D - Nicolas Meloche2015 #405 (61.0%)4-1
C - Vladislav Kamenev2014 #42 (TR)6 (72.1%)--
C - Igor Shvyrev2017 #1257 (65.2%)10+3
LW - AJ Greer2015 #398 (71.6%)6-2
LW - Ty LewisUndrafted9 (28%)--
LW - Tyler Weiss2018 #10910 (29.2%)--
LW - Sampo Ranta2018 #7811 (32.9%)--
G - Justus Annunen2018 #6412 (40.3%)--
RW - Nikolai Kovalenko2018 #17113 (35.5%)--
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Added Travis Barron. Keep the votes coming! This one was a near tie.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Morrison's turn now. All these last five prospects have been so close they could probably have fallen in any order without there being much of a fuss over it though.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
:bow: Morrison.

Still hope he can improve. AVs have 2-1st next draft and Kaut/Bowers/Kamenev ready in the next 1-2 years, this season is likely his last opportunity.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Going off the board here with Leivermann. I really liked what he did last year. He's raw but has a lot of upside and at this point in the list upside is the thing that matters most to me. If Leivermann ever puts it all together I think he has Top 4D NHL upside.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
:bow: Morrison.

Still hope he can improve. AVs have 2-1st next draft and Kaut/Bowers/Kamenev ready in the next 1-2 years, this season is likely his last opportunity.
I mean I understand he's getting buried in the depth chart and sometimes teams write players off, but there's no reason to handle next season as a last opportunity for someone who's about to turn 20 in the NCAA.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Prospects such as Morrison and Beaudin who are developing but slowly and steadily aren't very sexy in their D+2/3/4 years, while we can project all kinds of sexy into fresh meat.

Reactions: AdrianTheMagician

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Prospects such as Morrison and Beaudin who are developing but slowly and steadily aren't very sexy in their D+2/3/4 years, while we can project all kinds of sexy into fresh meat.
But that's where I disagree in the voting...Morrison in the number forms had more of a stagnate season than any other of our prospects. Though they're ECHL numbers, Beaudin did post fantastic stats on the Eagles second deep playoff run where at one time lead the entire scoring race for a week or two (in the playoffs where it's a different animal any any level of play). I like that people are voting for who they consider the best possible player in the long runl, but I argue that they're voting for the wrong player.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I mean I understand he's getting buried in the depth chart and sometimes teams write players off, but there's no reason to handle next season as a last opportunity for someone who's about to turn 20 in the NCAA.

The Sens pick is likely in the Top 10, with at least of 8 ranked players as Forwards. AVs pick is expected to be mid to late teens which again seem to be Forwards, but assume they select another DMan to add into the system. So disregarding all the other round selections, at least 1st round pick will be a Forward.

The future lineup will be as follows (without trades).

Landy - Mack - Rants
2019 Pick - Jost - Kaut
Ghetto - Bowers - Kerfoot
Nieto - Kamenev - Compher

Scratched:
Calvert
Toninato

Using the unscientific survey list, I assume 3 of 9 Forwards are ahead of his progress and reach the NHL. The Sens or Avs 1st Round selection will likely reach as well, unless they draft another bust. AVs still have 1-2nd and 2-3rd round picks that will further push Morrison's chances deeper on the depth charts by at least another 1-3 more players. So instead of being the 6th best prospect forward, he could be 9th.

Morrison's chances mathematically look extremely bleak, especially when he is not a scorer (ie. Lewis) to ever reach the NHL with the AVs. Should he drastically improve in his final season, I doubt he would consider signing with the AVs knowing the growing depth. Thus, my opinion this would be his final opportunity he deserves a contract with the AVs.

Last edited:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The Sens pick is likely in the Top 10, with at least of 8 ranked players as Forwards. AVs pick is expected to be mid to late teens which again seem to be Forwards, but assume they select another DMan to add into the system. So disregarding all the other round selections, at least 1st round pick will be a Forward.

The future lineup will be as follows (without trades).

Landy - Mack - Rants
2019 Pick - Jost - Kaut
Ghetto - Bowers - Kerfoot
Nieto - Kamenev - Compher

Scratched:
Calvert
Toninato

Using the unscientific survey list, I assume 3 of 9 Forwards are ahead of his progress and reach the NHL. The Sens or Avs 1st Round selection will likely reach as well, unless they draft another bust. AVs still have 1-2nd and 2-3rd round picks that will further push Morrison's chances deeper on the depth charts by at least another 1-3 more players. So instead of being the 6th best prospect forward, he could be 9th.

Morrison's chances mathematically look extremely bleak, especially when he is not a scorer (ie. Lewis) to ever reach the NHL with the AVs. Should he drastically improve in his final season, I doubt he would consider signing with the AVs knowing the growing depth. Thus, my opinion this would be his final opportunity he deserves a contract with the AVs.
Team depth charts change all the time. What's important is not "Who is ahead of him?", the question is "Does he have what it takes?" If he does, he will either find his way onto the team or traded for something of value so he can play in the NHL for somebody else. Either way, it would be a win for the franchise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad