Votes: 0 0.0%
  • C - Logan O'Connor - Undrafted - (HM)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Newcomer Drew Helleson debuts at #9 on the prospect rankings. Logan O'Connor and Tyler Weiss added. This will be the last round to add two to the rankings, 10 is enough.

PositionPlayerDraft2019 Rank2018 RankChange
RDCale Makar2017 #41 (96.7%)10
LDBowen Byram2019 #42 (98.1%)--
CAlex Newhook2019 #163 (60.0%)--
RDConor Timmins2017 #324 (57.8%)3-1
RWMartin Kaut2018 #165 (92.6%)2-3
CShane Bowers2017 #28 (TR)6 (76.6%)4-2
CVladislav Kamenev2014 #42 (TR)7 (52.1%)6-1
RDNicolas Meloche2015 #408 (46.5%)5-3
RDDrew Helleson2019 #479 (58.1%)--
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Time for Kovalenko, he's got the highest realistic upside left and I think he'll be an impact player right away when he does eventually come over.

Add Annunen and Beaucage.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
This is where I think Greer's solid season recently and close to NHL readiness has a slight edge over Kovalenko.

Please add Annunen.

I am still dumbfounded you lot drafted Kamenev so high. I mean I get top 10 talent for him, but 7th just seems crazy high.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
This is where I think Greer's solid season recently and close to NHL readiness has a slight edge over Kovalenko.

Please add Annunen.

I am still dumbfounded you lot drafted Kamenev so high. I mean I get top 10 talent for him, but 7th just seems crazy high.

Do you think Kamenev or Greer is more likely to join the Avs regular season roster?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Do you think Kamenev or Greer is more likely to join the Avs regular season roster?
This poll, like all the other teams tend to have more NHL ready players over players who will eventually have better potential and eventually become better NHLers in the future. If I was going to make an estimation, I do think Kamenev and Greer become NHL players, however not with our organization. Greer in particular is a bit more troublesome to accurately pinpoint since he did get into an assault and these type of things might end a relationship with the club that drafted him. Additionally, AJ plays a type of game where his offensive tools might be neutered to actually get a spot on the club. So instead of trying to play a bit of a skilled game and try to make it as a 2nd/3rd line player, he might devolve into a more grinders game resembling DSP as a borderline 4th line/AHL top line player.

In terms of Kamenev, we saw that he has the size and hockey IQ to be in the NHL. The problem with him is that his offensive tools didn't really shine through and why I have him lower on my personal list. Another problem and something I believe Hench alluded to somewhere last week and that is if he's welcoming and accepting a lower position in the NHL. When he's 26 or 27, he might just top off as a low-end 3rd line centre in the NHL who could be a very good 2nd line centre in the KHL. He might actually be paid more in Russia as well and that can contribute to his decision making a lot.

I still have faith in Greer, he's a favourite of mine and still more of a fan even though he has put a bad image in the sporting world. Also, I still have some faith that Kamenev can be a solid and responsible centre in the NHL. However, my conclusion is I think both end up being good players on bad teams that you'd probably want to upgrade on when you become a good team - sort of similar to Alex Kerfoot and players who have the same characteristics like Tatar among others.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
This poll, like all the other teams tend to have more NHL ready players over players who will eventually have better potential and eventually become better NHLers in the future. If I was going to make an estimation, I do think Kamenev and Greer become NHL players, however not with our organization. Greer in particular is a bit more troublesome to accurately pinpoint since he did get into an assault and these type of things might end a relationship with the club that drafted him. Additionally, AJ plays a type of game where his offensive tools might be neutered to actually get a spot on the club. So instead of trying to play a bit of a skilled game and try to make it as a 2nd/3rd line player, he might devolve into a more grinders game resembling DSP as a borderline 4th line/AHL top line player.

In terms of Kamenev, we saw that he has the size and hockey IQ to be in the NHL. The problem with him is that his offensive tools didn't really shine through and why I have him lower on my personal list. Another problem and something I believe Hench alluded to somewhere last week and that is if he's welcoming and accepting a lower position in the NHL. When he's 26 or 27, he might just top off as a low-end 3rd line centre in the NHL who could be a very good 2nd line centre in the KHL. He might actually be paid more in Russia as well and that can contribute to his decision making a lot.

I still have faith in Greer, he's a favourite of mine and still more of a fan even though he has put a bad image in the sporting world. Also, I still have some faith that Kamenev can be a solid and responsible centre in the NHL. However, my conclusion is I think both end up being good players on bad teams that you'd probably want to upgrade on when you become a good team - sort of similar to Alex Kerfoot and players who have the same characteristics like Tatar among others.

I just don't see it with Greer at all. He strikes me as McLeod 2.0. Fans like the grit and feistiness and JB hates the lack of discipline to stay away from dumb penalties. The legal trouble just reaffirms for me that it, much less his IQ, isn't one of his strong points. I'd dump Greer or Kamenev in a heartbeat, especially if they are the good player on a bad team/bad player on a good team type aside from maintaining depth in case of injuries just so Sakic might collect some picks.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I just don't see it with Greer at all. He strikes me as McLeod 2.0. Fans like the grit and feistiness and JB hates the lack of discipline to stay away from dumb penalties. The legal trouble just reaffirms for me that it, much less his IQ, isn't one of his strong points. I'd dump Greer or Kamenev in a heartbeat, especially if they are the good player on a bad team/bad player on a good team type aside from maintaining depth in case of injuries just so Sakic might collect some picks.
I can't deny anything from what you've seen in the NHL with Greer, but I was able to watch him during his time in the AHL (last season) and LHJMQ. He absolutely has talent, he was easily the most talented player for the Eagles in the games I went to Loveland and watched. Not that the Eagles were amazing offensive, but those are good signs. Even though in the past we've seen AHL stars who just plateau in the NHL. However, with Greer he does have the physicality, energy, and secondary offence skills to make it on the lower lines. I would make the case that Bednar hasn't used him as properly as he deserves IMHO.

For all you hate about McLeod, he has had a very successful career in the NHL. Again, I do see Greer as one those prototypical good player on a bad team that eventually becomes a bad player on a good team.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I can't deny anything from what you've seen in the NHL with Greer, but I was able to watch him during his time in the AHL (last season) and LHJMQ. He absolutely has talent, he was easily the most talented player for the Eagles in the games I went to Loveland and watched. Not that the Eagles were amazing offensive, but those are good signs. Even though in the past we've seen AHL stars who just plateau in the NHL. However, with Greer he does have the physicality, energy, and secondary offence skills to make it on the lower lines. I would make the case that Bednar hasn't used him as properly as he deserves IMHO.

For all you hate about McLeod, he has had a very successful career in the NHL. Again, I do see Greer as one those prototypical good player on a bad team that eventually becomes a bad player on a good team.

I only caught a couple of AHL games and the only player that caught my eye with their play was LOC. In fact, I think one of the PO goals against by the Condors was on Greer IIRC.

I was wondering why the Greer love that's all. I respect your insights a great deal but Greer doesn't pass my eye test as anything special that's why I asked.

I feel the Avs should be able to do better than McLeod or Greer on the 4th line. After all, it's not like McLeod led the Preds to the SC either.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012

BTW, I get the McLeod love. People loved him because the guy literally gave everything as a player and I respect that. But keeping him because he was a fan favorite doesn't fly for me. He was way too slow at the end but people still wanted to keep him. Now that I had absolutely no patience for.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I've just kind of given up on Greer ever making it as an NHLer, at least not here. Bednar is going nowhere anytime soon, and he seems determined to make sure Greer doesn't get a shot. And what with management basically filling us up with forwards for the next year, he's almost certain to have to pass through waivers at the beginning of the season. It's possible he won't even be our property in just a few months.

Reactions: Makar to MacK

Makar to MacK

Sep 14, 2018
Saint Cloud, FL
I've just kind of given up on Greer ever making it as an NHLer, at least not here. Bednar is going nowhere anytime soon, and he seems determined to make sure Greer doesn't get a shot. And what with management basically filling us up with forwards for the next year, he's almost certain to have to pass through waivers at the beginning of the season. It's possible he won't even be our property in just a few months.
I liked your post not what is happening with Greer and I completely agree, he should've been given at the very least a shot last season imo. Even if it was 4th line minutes at least something.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Greer’s career total of 6 points is the most contribution the Avs have received out of the top 10 since Barrie.

It was clear to me he was getting showcased before the deadline and when nobody bit he was sent back down. Maybe there’s something they don’t like about him personally but they have a tough time with graduations from the minors as it is.

Btw, Greer was the best forward for the Eagles. He hade a difference every night and brought an identity. Not sure what more they could expect.

Last edited:

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Greer’s career total of 6 points is the most contribution the Avs have received out of the top 10 since Barrie.

It was clear to me he was getting showcased before the deadline and when nobody bit he was sent back down. Maybe there’s something they don’t like about him personally but they have a tough time with graduations from the minors as it is.

Not appreciated by the Avs...or anyone else. Greer's run in with the law wasn't exactly career enhancing either. I'd be surprised if his short-term future is with the Avs. But hey, you never really know.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Greer is a serviceable 4th and maybe even 3rd liner. Don’t know what the hell he's still doing in the A but he’ll find a team somewhere.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Greer. I believe this might be his final opportunity for a role on the bottom 4th line. He's had a relatively good AHL career, but some reason limited with NHL chances.

Add: Saigeon (among the highest scoring prospects and plays solid defense)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad