• LW - Tyler Weiss - 2018 #109 - (10)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • C - Logan O'Connor - Undrafted - (HM)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
In general I'd say that getting someone like PEB instead of seeing if any of the kids can claim the gig is the kind of move that signals that even Joe realizes that we are no longer rebuilding and should be trying to capitalize on this unique opportunity that we have with this core. We are at the point where; unless we're talking about a future core-piece; prospects will need to prove they can be trusted when injuries call them into action...not the 'throw them out there and let them prove they can't be trusted' mindset we've seen previously.

This more than anything else distills the offseason to me. I was really interested to see how it played out because that helps prognosticate what Sakic's moves will be and the kinds of qualities and traits they're looking for in players.

I didn't care if Sakic kept or traded Barrie. He was a net asset to the team and he could have been retained if that was Sakic really wanted. But Sakic expressly said they probably wouldn't be able to resign him for the money Barrie could get on the market. So yeah, they have an internal cap structure and they're looking for cap management. He obviously has a very limited definition of who are the core players, namely Landeskog, MacKinnon, Rantanen and Makar. Even then, I'd take it further and say the only don't bother asking group of players are just MacKinnon and Makar. Ask away for everyone else but it's gonna cost.

As for the bottom 6. Sakic previously used Comeau, Calvert and Wilson FA to fill in the bottom 6 as value acquisitions instead of big $ for top FA targets. But with Bellemare, he was the target and I'd bet just as important as getting a 2C. cgf is right that Sakic was going for someone that has proven they can handle the load. FOs, cementing that 4th line. That's why I value Greer and Kamenev less at this point. They've a very small window to step up and show they belong with a stacked club. But I'd argue that Sakic sees the importance of filling all holes in the lineup, including the lower line. Therefore, we've as good a fourth-line as any on paper and the third line should also be a very good squad.

As for the top 6, regardless of the fact that Sakic didn't sign Panarin, it clearly signaled he knows we're competing for the SC now. So he finally went after that big FA. If it doesn't work with Burakovsky then definitely expect Sakic to look for Hall at the trade deadline if available or swing a trade. I expect he'll be active to ensure whatever obvious holes are plugged with someone sufficiently capable.

Be patient and wait to see how it goes with Jost before writing him off as a top 6'er. It's only fair because he improved his play after returning from the AHL last season and was one of the Avs better players in the post-season. That Jost elevated his play was something Kerfoot (a Selke candidate) never did last year. So long as he's continuing to develop then it'd be wise to fully understand what we have in Jost before jumping at the first opportunity to unload him.

Would you rather have kept Kerfoot or traded for Burakovsky? Regardless of the cost, I'd take Burakovsky because I've already seen what Kerfoot brings to the table. Just hope Burakovsky doesn't make me regret what I wrote.

Reactions: Barklez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->