• RW - Martin Kaut - 2018 #16 - (2)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
cgf is extremely passionate about the Avs and tends to have a definitive, narrow view of what must be done to address the Avs' deficiencies.:ha: Kadri may not have been cgi's first choice but he saw the need to fill the hole at 2c while I was still arguing to give Kerfoot-Jost-Compher a chance.:rolleyes: It'll never be 100% perfect with cgf but 90% is good enough for now. cgf will change 90% to 68% or something like that. Which just proves klozge's point.:thumbu:

Part of is probably cultural to. I grew up with eastern european parents and the highest praise you can get from an eastern european parent is "not bad"; while the standard for american style praise is insane, even when your mother didn't receive her 1st B in her final semester en route to a PhD and distinguished scientific career, while your father & grandparents were also (almost) all distinguished scientist...except for the 1 grandfather who was "just" an engineer, the dumb-dumb.

That's why the phrase "the perfect is the enemy of the good" has always resonated with me. In large part as a reminder of how much can be accomplished with "sub-perfect" solutions but also to remind that what works isn't always what's perfect and that the perfectionism I grew up with can be very useful if it's harnessed to improve the good/realistic solution you're working towards, and not allowed to paralyze yourself with inaction; like I thought Joe had done with the Duchene trade before Dorion came riding in.

So just because I might...not that I am...suggest that there may have been a better way, doesn't mean I think Joe's way will lead to failure or I'm mad at it. Especially with the improvement from Joe that we've already seen while on the job.

I'm usually just curious to explore what could've been done even better because I want to see this team capitalize on its opportunity to become one of those special teams that other fans compare their teams to for the next decade+, like we do to the Pens / Hawks / Kings.

...at least when I'm not snarkily lashing back because I let myself get trolled...

Last edited:

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Part of is probably cultural to. I grew up with eastern european parents and the highest praise you can get from an eastern european parent is "not bad"; while the standard for american style praise is insane, even when your mother didn't receive her 1st B in her final last semester en route to a PhD and distinguished scientific career, while your father & grandparents were also (almost) all distinguished scientist...except for the 1 grandfather who was "just" an engineer, the dumb-dumb.

That's why the phrase "the perfect is the enemy of the good" has always resonated with me. In large part as a reminder of how much can be accomplished with "sub-perfect" solutions but also to remind that what works isn't always what's perfect and that the perfectionism I grew up with can be very useful if it's harnessed to improve the good/realistic solution you're working towards, and not allowed to paralyze yourself with inaction; like I thought Joe had done with the Duchene trade before Dorion came riding in.

So just because I might...not that I am...suggest that there may have been a better way, doesn't mean I think Joe's way will lead to failure or I'm mad at it. Especially with the improvement from Joe that we've already seen while on the job.

I'm usually just curious to explore what could've been done even better because I want to see this team capitalize on its opportunity to become one of those special teams that other fans compare their teams to for the next decade+, like we do to the Pens / Hawks / Kings.

...at least when I'm not snarkily lashing back because I let myself get trolled...

I appreciate your analysis and insight. Always have.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I appreciate your analysis and insight. Always have.

(Un?)Fortunately, I like to hear myself talk enough where I'd keep rambling on here when I have time to kill, whether I had annoyed everyone or not, but I'm glad to hear that I'm not just screaming into a storm :laugh:

EDIT to bring this back on topic:
For me I’m giving Timmins the benefit of the doubt, he looked normal in dev camp at least. I never thought he was NHL ready/in the blue chip tier anyway and thought he had some work ahead of him. So won’t really know where he stands with that until he plays in a real game so for me he fits in the close but not quite group either way.

This is my biggest thing with Timmins BTW, even if the concussion's behind him & he's ready to pick up right where he left off, I don't think throwing him into the NHL without his skating having improved would turn out well...and he's too talented for us to be so careless with after he's already lost so much development time.

So I'd like to see him get his feet back under him on the AHL team with the NHL club keeping close tabs on him & his development. If he thrives down there & takes over the top pairing role; it won't exactly be be impossible for him to win a spot from the non-waiver exempt guys we've got ahead of him on the right.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I know and I've been used to appreciate your humor. If you weren't one of my favorite posters on this board usually I wouldn't have bothered to respond in the first place.

Well I fell like I've been much more positive since repopulating my ignore list earlier today; so hopefully that helps alleviate some of the concerns with my negativity lol

...although I still feel like I'm eating some s*** for Cobra & Soundwave's meltdown; since my "gripes" have been awfully tame & nuanced in comparison :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Well I fell like I've been much more positive since repopulating my ignore list earlier today; so hopefully that helps alleviate some of the concerns with my negativity lol

...although I still feel like I'm eating some s*** for Cobra & Soundwave's meltdown; since my "gripes" have been awfully tame & nuanced in comparison :laugh:

:popcorn:

Honestly there was so many times I just couldn't engage some people. It was obvious from the beginning with different topics. Barrie, last off-season, not adding jack at the TDL..

That dude crashing that car because he made dumb decisions, but still just walks away was very apt IMO. Yeah it worked out, maybe. We'll never know what could have been had we had a 2C in the playoffs last year. We'll also get to see first hand if having to deal Barrie to get a 2C instead of using what turned into Byram and Newhook was the right call.

Last edited:
Reactions: cgf and Ivan13

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad