Who is the Avs #1 Prospect?

• RW - Martin Kaut - 2018 #16 - (2)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
It's that time of year again! Now that free agent frenzy has died down, it's time to do the prospect ranking polls. Same rules as last year, prospects with less than 65 NHL games and under 24 years of age are eligible, so Makar remains in the pool and Rosen, for example, is out. One new player will be added to the board each poll until #10, then for the later rounds we'll start adding two each to accomodate the wider field.

Let's have some fun, first five prospects on the board are the top 3 from last year plus our two first rounders this year.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
This should be just a formality of a poll, and I have a feeling I know how the next one will go, too.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Shouldn't we have a few more than 5 choices per polls? I mean it's fine for the first few but I always find that when we get to prospects 7-10 it can start varying quite a bit and someone you like might not be in the list. I think a list of 7 would be better.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Shouldn't we have a few more than 5 choices per polls? I mean it's fine for the first few but I always find that when we get to prospects 7-10 it can start varying quite a bit and someone you like might not be in the list. I think a list of 7 would be better.
We usually start adding extra choices at 10, but if there's enough disagreement on who to add we can start adding two per poll a little early. I'll play it by ear as we go along.

Reactions: AllAboutAvs

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
At the draft years Byram would be the better prospect, but Makar has done about all you could reasonably expect from him. He's #1 here.

Add Bowers

Reactions: klozge

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Makar gets the vote because he's more fully developed than Byram is at this moment. We aren't even 100% certain that Byram is NHL ready even for a bottom pairing role (or if there is even room for him to get it out of camp). Makar at least is NHL ready for top 4 duty, and may even contend for the Calder.

Add Bowers for me.

Last edited:

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
AVs have so many young players, the lines of prospects vs. NHLer can be blurred. Here are some examples of players 24 years and under.
  • 1998 - Makar & Timmins vs. Girard & Jost;
  • 1996 - Kamenev vs. Rantanen;
  • 1995 - Mackinnon, Zadorov, Compher & Burakovsky.
Sakic amazingly rebuilt the team with so many of the core prospects/NHLers being close in age.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Makar gets the vote because he's more fully developed than Bowers at this moment. We aren't even 100% certain that Bowers is NHL ready even for a bottom pairing role (or if there is even room for him to get it out of camp). Makar at least is NHL ready for top 4 duty, and may even contend for the Calder.

Add Bowers for me.

Assuming the bolded is meant to be Byram but I agree with your assessment.

TheForsbergShow

Apr 4, 2016
Edmonton
Makar gets the vote because he's more fully developed than Bowers at this moment. We aren't even 100% certain that Bowers is NHL ready even for a bottom pairing role (or if there is even room for him to get it out of camp). Makar at least is NHL ready for top 4 duty, and may even contend for the Calder.

Add Bowers for me.

Agree Bowers might look pretty out of place in our bottom pairing ;)

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
The first 3 should be pretty obvious choices, it gets more interesting after that. I find it impossible to properly rank Timmins right now.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
The first 3 should be pretty obvious choices, it gets more interesting after that. I find it impossible to properly rank Timmins right now.
For me Timmins is still #3 ahead of Newhook. I don't care about his concussion and his status right now. He still has the most upside after Makar and Bowen.

Reactions: klozge

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
f*** yes, i have been so excited for this to finally get started.

I seriously dont know who to go with at #1.... Even after the draft I was totally convinced Makar is head and shoulders above Byram and everyone else.

But I have watched quite a bit of footage on Byram in the last week or so and I am completely enamored with his skill set. I think the people who dont see high offensive upside in him are selling him quite a bit short. He doesn't bring the same type of offensive game as what Makar does but that doesn't mean he cant be an elite offensive guy in a different way. I think he is a tonne like Brent Burns where he just loves to have the puck on his stick and has a really dangerous shot, not super hard like Burns shot, but very accurate and a very deceptive release that in the WHL was constantly causing trouble for goalies, hence his 34 goals last year as a Dman.

Where Makar makes his offense from being an elite skater with elite edgework and the ability to maneuver around guys quickly, I think Byram will make his offense from having such a fantastic and quick release combined with a very accurate shot. Dont get me wrong Makar has a really good shot as well, and Byram is a great skater with some solid edgework as well, but Makar is a little better at that while Byram has the better shot IMO.

I dunno.... I actually think Byram could pan out better. But I truly think they both have Top 10 Dmen in the league kind of upside and if they form a pairing together who knows what they could accomplish.

I'm gonna stick with Makar by the slightest of margins perhaps because he's a tad older and closer to realizing that full potential, but this is so close for me. And it is truly a gift given to us as fans from Joe Sakic to have both of these kids that cant even drink alcohol in Denver legally yet on our back end.

EDIT: I'll say add Bowers I think

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I liked Byram slightly more than Makar coming out of the draft, but these would be my rankings now.

Makar
Bryam
Newhook
Kaut
Timmins
Bowers

Pretty nice looking group.

Reactions: timothy jimothy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad