OT: HF Sharks EA NHL Video Game Thread

ChubbChubby

Using tilt controls!
Nov 28, 2009
San Francisco, CA
If it's like NHL 13, you might be able to invite offline people too as long as they're on your friends' list. They might have had to load NHL 14 at least once though, no clue.

Looks like you could. I was able to send you an invite, but it said "User not found" for Matalvatz and Jurgy. Maybe it's based on the last time you signed into EA.

McSkittlez

Jumbo Trollton
Jul 19, 2010
San Jose
So what is the requirement for the game to count in BAP?

I put the period length to 3 minutes and played on pro difficulty. I also maximized the human shooting in the gameplay settings and lowered the cpus. You can sim to the third period and play for 5 minutes.

SharksFan1

Aug 9, 2010
Orange County, CA
I put the period length to 3 minutes and played on pro difficulty. I also maximized the human shooting in the gameplay settings and lowered the cpus. You can sim to the third period and play for 5 minutes.

How do you sim to the third period and play for 5 minutes when you have the period length set to 3 minutes?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'm stuck with deciding whether to buy this now or wait until the PS4 and buy it then or some other hockey game then. lol

SharksFan1

Aug 9, 2010
Orange County, CA
I'm stuck with deciding whether to buy this now or wait until the PS4 and buy it then or some other hockey game then. lol

I don't think NHL 14 is coming to the next gen consoles this year. I would expect it to show up on the PS4 an Xbone next year, and since NHL 14 is really the only hockey game your only choice if you want a hockey game this year is to pick it up for the PS3 or Xbox 360.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't think NHL 14 is coming to the next gen consoles this year. I would expect it to show up on the PS4 an Xbone next year, and since NHL 14 is really the only hockey game your only choice if you want a hockey game this year is to pick it up for the PS3 or Xbox 360.

I'm almost certain that there will be a half-assed arcade hockey game in the PS store for PS4. That would hold me over. The issue with buying NHL 14 is that it gets two months of use then the PS4 comes out and whatever games I get with that is where it's at. lol

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
One season of BAP done. Now to finish the playoffs and start the second season :(

Do you sim games? I played the game for 5 hrs today, finished 2 games as a goalie, and then a 3rd place memorial cup finish as a defenseman, got drafted 7th overall by edmonton and have played 4 of the 6 preseason games.

I swear with the interview questions they set you up for failure on the answers.

ChubbChubby

Using tilt controls!
Nov 28, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Sim the game and intervene with about 5 minutes or less in the third. Rookie setting and maxed sliders. Super easy mode.

Don't even get me started on the interviews. I signed an autograph for a fan and it ended up making me sign autographs all day so I lost 10 points in endurance and 10 points in durability.

Then my player decides to miss curfew three times within the first 30 games. Same exact questions and I gave the same answer (owned up to it and usually get a drop in team likeability due to bag skate punishment), but the third time the GM punished me directly and dropped me to the second line.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I have yet to have any events, but i did get a free advertisement endorsement stating i was the next best thing to hit the nhl.

ChubbChubby

Using tilt controls!
Nov 28, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Another trick is to start playing a game and score a bunch of goals early so they pull their goalie, then you can quit and it'll sim the rest and still count as a game played. Chances are you win the game once that happens.

ChubbChubby

Using tilt controls!
Nov 28, 2009
San Francisco, CA
My team tries to pull a prank on a team member. I warn him but then the prankster gets angry and a fight breaks out.

I then lose 15 in all my shot stats. This is such bull.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Well, looks like I won't be playing BAP either. Why can't they just give us a hockey game where you jump in and play? All this off-ice crap sounds interesting, but I don't want to market myself or play pranks or all this stupid high school drama bullcrap, I just want to play a ****ing game of hockey.

As an aside, 2 things (1 question and 1 fun comment)

1) How the hell do you win faceoffs? It feels like it should be the same as last year (left stick controls direction, right stick controls what you do on the faceoff (draw back, fire on net, etc) but every single time I'm losing the draw and either just sort of floating into the other C (not going for tie-up) or getting beat clean. Is it just that they changed the timing from last year, or is there some new mechanical hitch?

2) I kinda like the automatic lead-in to fights on big hits and stuff. Feels a little more real. Plus I'm playing a WHL game right now (me as Vancouver vs Seattle) and I just one-punched the other guy. I laid out one of their players on a big open-ice hit, then the other guy comes in and picks a fight, and *bam* one uppercut to the jaw and down he goes. :laugh: good times.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Well, looks like I won't be playing BAP either. Why can't they just give us a hockey game where you jump in and play? All this off-ice crap sounds interesting, but I don't want to market myself or play pranks or all this stupid high school drama bullcrap, I just want to play a ****ing game of hockey.

As an aside, 2 things (1 question and 1 fun comment)

1) How the hell do you win faceoffs? It feels like it should be the same as last year (left stick controls direction, right stick controls what you do on the faceoff (draw back, fire on net, etc) but every single time I'm losing the draw and either just sort of floating into the other C (not going for tie-up) or getting beat clean. Is it just that they changed the timing from last year, or is there some new mechanical hitch?

2) I kinda like the automatic lead-in to fights on big hits and stuff. Feels a little more real. Plus I'm playing a WHL game right now (me as Vancouver vs Seattle) and I just one-punched the other guy. I laid out one of their players on a big open-ice hit, then the other guy comes in and picks a fight, and *bam* one uppercut to the jaw and down he goes. :laugh: good times.

Only thing i do not like is the automatic fights. My 1 chl mem cup game i spent 25 mins in the penalty box because of that stupid hit and fight rule. It is not my fault there team cannot keep there heads up. Would be nice if there was a way of declining the automatic fights.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Only thing i do not like is the automatic fights. My 1 chl mem cup game i spent 25 mins in the penalty box because of that stupid hit and fight rule. It is not my fault there team cannot keep there heads up. Would be nice if there was a way of declining the automatic fights.

I agree that it's going to probably get old fast. I haven't minded it so far, but of the games I've played I've had one of those auto fights after a huge hit probably in more than half of my games. That is a little bit ridiculous.

But for now it's fun :laugh:

SharksFan1

Aug 9, 2010
Orange County, CA
Sim the game and intervene with about 5 minutes or less in the third. Rookie setting and maxed sliders. Super easy mode.

Don't even get me started on the interviews. I signed an autograph for a fan and it ended up making me sign autographs all day so I lost 10 points in endurance and 10 points in durability.

Then my player decides to miss curfew three times within the first 30 games. Same exact questions and I gave the same answer (owned up to it and usually get a drop in team likeability due to bag skate punishment), but the third time the GM punished me directly and dropped me to the second line.

What you can do it on Rookie settings? Can you change it for each game, I've already selected Pro.

ChubbChubby

Using tilt controls!
Nov 28, 2009
San Francisco, CA
No idea, but I had it set for rookie since the beginning and it unlocked everything fine. I took my time in the first season because I wanted to get 200 hits in and I intervened every game with about 10 minutes left in the third, but I was able to breeze through the second season in about three hours last night by scoring early in the first period and then quitting every game.

So yeah, I unlocked practically everything except a few little things and a boost slot that needs pro card in EASHL.

ChubbChubby

Using tilt controls!
Nov 28, 2009
San Francisco, CA
I guess those stupid Live the Life events can benefit you sometimes too. Instead of going out to a party (which would have had me attacked by a dog), I stayed home and got a 10+ boost in all my athletic stats.

The whole thing still sucks though.

SharksFan1

Aug 9, 2010
Orange County, CA
I guess those stupid Live the Life events can benefit you sometimes too. Instead of going out to a party (which would have had me attacked by a dog), I stayed home and got a 10+ boost in all my athletic stats.

The whole thing still sucks though.

Yes, very annoying for people trying to blow threw it just for the unlocks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad