HF Retro Game of the Year - 1995 - Vote in the Poll!

Game of the year back in 1995?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Getting attached to your soldiers was one of the absolutely brilliant things about XCOM that separated it from other games at the time. I wouldn't recommend anyone avoid doing that or you lose some of what was special about the game.

Some random would end up having absurd luck and you'd be kind of rooting for them.

To be honest, the same applies to the new games although I wouldn't say it's quite as difficult.

However, throughout the first playthrough of both the original and the sequel, I lost all kinds of soldiers. I remember those that died a lot more than those that lived.

I remember having to sacrifice one in a mission with a timer so that the others could get away. Surprisingly poignant moment.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I meant that mortality is much higher in X-Com than nuXCOM or even games like JA2 and Silent Storm.

That's true, but I'd say that that makes the attachment even greater. I see what you're saying, though. Early on, it's hard to get attached because they're all unskilled and die easily. You'll bring 8 soldiers and lose half of them by the end of the first mission. On your next mission, you'll bring the remaining 4 soldiers, who are still only novices, and 4 more rookies, and lose half of each again. By the 3rd or 4th mission, you'll have only 1 or 2 of your original soldiers left, but they'll be precious to you for that fact and because they're your only skilled veterans. That's when you start to become attached to them and it ends up killing you a little inside when you lose one of them.

Super Metroid I would say is all about it's perfect execution. Controls are so smooth. Weapons/upgrades are fun. I do think Super Metroid is peak platformer.

Super Metroid is all about open world/back tracking when you get new abilities later on. Level creation was just perfect.

Thanks for the information. It sounds like it was more evolved than I guessed. I'm still more partial to games that revolutionized than were simply the "peak" of an old genre, though, but that's me.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Thanks for the information. It sounds like it was more evolved than I guessed. I'm still more partial to games that revolutionized than were simply the "peak" of an old genre, though, but that's me.

I mean, it did pioneer the whole "Metroidvania" genre, and was extremely good. I'm PC Master Race all the way, but don't sleep on Super Metroid.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Platformers and 2D side-scrollers are so generic.

I get bored with them within 20-30 minutes.

They try to wrap them up with attempts at a plot and characters but ultimately controller twitch mechanics are essentially mindless and repetitive.

"Here's my left side."

"Here's my right side."

"Avoid the balls floating around."

Yawn.
It's not like we ever see eye to eye on anything anyways, so I can't say I'm surprised by this.
I'm going to regret asking, but why do you say that? What's so special about Super Metroid? It looks like every other platformer to me and something that could've come out 5-10 years earlier. The early 3D FPSes were cutting edge and weren't even possible just 1 or 2 years earlier. They may've been rather mindless, but were they any more mindless than platformers like Super Metroid? I'm not sure about Super Metroid, but most platformer levels are super linear and don't allow you to backtrack. At least even the early FPSes had open maps and allowed or even required you to re-visit areas. While simple by today's standards, the early FPSes were very advanced for the day. That and the fact that side scrolling platformers really hadn't evolved since the 80s are largely why the birth of one genre coincided with the death of the other.
Sorry about the length, but..... yeah.

If you care about innovation and are lumping it together with generic platformers, it should really be noted and emphasized that the appeal and focus of Super Metroid really has nothing to do with its combat and platforming-- its resemblance is superficial only, and honestly, it feels wrong to even call it a platformer, even though it technically is-- it's more about the way that the power-ups allow the map to unfold like an elaborate, densely packed puzzle, as if you were a mouse trapped in a maze that goes in and out of itself and that you can approach in a few ways.

If you're looking at this from a "what's cutting edge at the time", "is it a drastic evolution", or "how much stuff is available to do" perspective, we may not see eye to eye on this, because I generally don't care or see too much value in those things. I'm just speaking based on how things hold up and how strong, tight, and flawless they seem as games/art in isolation, at least from my perspective. I want games to be perfect in the way that Chess is perfect. I love when rich and complex designs/mechanics rise out of deceptively simple ideas (which is why I tend to dislike a lot of newer games that rarely feel like that).

On a surface level, there's aesthetics, design, and presentation. Super Metroid is a visually and aurally beautiful game, despite its technical limitations. The design and artistry behind it is inspired and timeless, even compared to the best modern games (it "looks" and "sounds" more appealing than something like Hollow Knight or any of the copycat Metroidvanias that come out today, IMO). 3D games in 94 are (at least with the benefit of hindsight) aesthetic atrocities that do not hold up in presentation at all. Even the best ones tend to feel like you're playing a campy B-movie.

latest

Those sprites look beautiful today.

In terms of feel, controls (although the floatiness may give a poor first impression), map design, and overall execution, Super Metroid is right at the peak of what 2d gaming (and gaming in general) has accomplished, whereas 3D games in 94 really didn't figure everything out yet, and tend to feel very clunky and mechanically uninteresting compared to today's 3D games.

Everything comes together perfectly in Super Metroid. The way every moment unfolds, the placement of every power up, the feedback, the sequence breaking, the hidden, map expanding techniques, the Alien/Blade-Runner-esque style and atmosphere, the music, the simple setup and payoff of its bare bones narrative-- just the overall minimalistic tastefulness and sensibilities of everything feel like they were painstakingly considered and pulled off beautifully. The sense of discovery and the way that game perfectly manipulates that "Aha!" feeling is masterful in a way that not many games can touch.

The only flaws I can think of are that there's a point of no return save point at the end of the game that can screw you, a "noob bridge" screen that people get stuck on because it isn't super intuitive, movement takes some getting used to, but feels beautiful and unique once you do, and fighting enemies can feel a tad tedious when you're under-powered at the beginning of the game (it's much more satisfying when you can slice right through them later on).

Metroidvanias aren't just becoming a fad again because people are nostalgic. There's something legitimately magical about the sensation that that structure of game can give you when it's done as well as it was in Super Metroid, and they're all trying to recapture it to varying degrees of success..

You might be able to argue that later, more polished 3D games may do the same (though that hasn't been my experience), but way back in 94, when nobody really knew how to do 3D properly and everything looked like garbage (none of this "good for its time" stuff)? No way.

Last edited:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Yeah just go on Steam and search the "Metroidvania" category. Not only did Super Metroid inspire all these games, even without nostalgia goggles if it came out today it would still be if not the best then in contention for the top 3/5.

Super Metroid not only invented the "Metroidvania" genre but despite all the imitators is still probably the best of it's genre today (or at least top 3/5), and that's not just nostalgia speaking.

Reactions: OmniCube

member 157595

Super Metroid is by far the best platformer I've ever played (that includes games like SOTN, which would not have existed without Super Metroid in the first place) and in my opinion it is the best platformer of all time. It's absolutely remarkable that the development team was able to deliver this exquisite piece of computational art with the technical constraints they were subject to.

It may or may not be the most influential game on the 1994 list given the rather brutal competition, but I do consider it the best game of its type ever made. For that, and many other reasons, it will be my vote in the 1994 poll.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
@Shareefruck

I can understand and appreciate that argument. I don't see eye to eye with it, but I can understand it. That said, to be honest, I tend to roll my eyes a little when people talk about games as "art." It's not that games can't have artistic qualities, but that I think that the praise goes a little overboard.

Most games that people call works of art were not designed to be art or made under conditions conducive to art. 25 years ago, especially, game development (from conception to design to programming to release) often took only 6 months, 6 months of long, hectic days with little break. Rarely did games end up as they were envisioned, even when they came out as masterpieces. Most designers of so-called masterpieces are pretty humble about it, IMO, because their games came together better than they could've dreamed. Most were just trying to deliver a game on time that would at least break even so that they could keep their jobs and make the next game. Occasionally, they hit on things that would come to be beloved, and I think that people nowadays call them works of art more to justify why they love them than any intrinsic quality in them.

Last edited:

member 157595

Yeah just go on Steam and search the "Metroidvania" category. Not only did Super Metroid inspire all these games, even without nostalgia goggles if it came out today it would still be if not the best then in contention for the top 3/5.

Super Metroid not only invented the "Metroidvania" genre but despite all the imitators is still probably the best of it's genre today (or at least top 3/5), and that's not just nostalgia speaking.

I'm glad you mentioned nostalgia. There's no question our minds (myself very much included) get outright lied to by our childhoods at times. I can name countless mediocre to bad games that I thought were good when I was a kid (NES examples include Street Fighter 2010, Battletoads, TMNT1, Double Dragon III, etc) because I didn't know any better.

Super Metroid is different. It was incredible in 1994 but I would argue that it shines even brighter today as a slew of imitators have tried, and failed, to replicate the original formula to that degree of perfection (even while having access to technology countless light-years ahead of what the early 90's developers had access to.) It was the game you wanted to finish your homework to play over two decades ago, now it's a game people can introduce their own children to and it still holds up. It's not clouded by nostalgia. It's a game that its original form still holds up in any era, and while I love Doom II to Hell and back (pun intended), don't tell me it does the same thing.

member 157595

@Shareefruck

I can appreciate that argument and understand why you and many others hold that view, even if I don't see eye to eye with it. That said, to be honest, I tend to roll my eyes a little when people talk about games as "art." It's not that games can't have artistic qualities, but that I think that the praise goes a little overboard.

Most games that people call works of art were not designed to be art or made under conditions conducive to art. 25 years ago, especially, game development (from conception to design to programming to release) often took only 6 months, 6 months of long, hectic days with little break. Rarely did games end up as they were envisioned, even when they came out as masterpieces. Most designers of so-called masterpieces are pretty humble about it, IMO, because their games came together better than they could've dreamed. Most were just trying to deliver a game on time that would at least break even so that they could keep their jobs and make the next game. We call them works of art more because they hit on things that became popular than because there's actually an almost tangible "artistic" quality about them. I think that assigning the latter to them is more of an indication of wanting to consider games as art, perhaps so that we can feel less embarrassed about our video game hobby.

In the 90's, games were usually made by small teams under extraordinary funding, timing and technological limitations (in the very early days, it was often one person doing the art, assembly language and testing on their own.) Obviously they were doing so as a career, to meet corporate and/or personal objectives. However, professional artists in any era were and still subject to some of the similar constraints and endure(d) the same physical, emotional and mental hardships to achieve their objectives.

A video game is not necessarily designed with the explicit purpose of being a piece of art on display, like a painting or sculpture is. However, it is possible for a piece of technology to not only serve its intended purpose but also to contain a relic of the time that is suitable for collection purposes (hell, take a look at the Neo Geo AES collector's market, those prices are sky high!), which is very similar to art in that way. Also, one should not understate the significant actual artistic input required for the production of any good video game in the modern era, where the level of technology gives developers a theoretical blank canvas in which to artistically and technologically express themselves.

Make no mistake, video games like the latest NFL roster update Electronic Farts shits out yearly to make bank certainly aren't art, and that's not because they're new because video games as a kind of art form didn't die out in my childhood. Those games are the soulless byproduct of a corporate money-making monstrosity. They are pieces of software that sell handsomely but that lack any and all creativity/ingenuity. The very second that piece of garbage company puts another roster update out in the market, its predecessor is immediately cast aside for the "new" (gag) product, ensuring the cycle continues.

Are video games art? In my opinion, the answer is "sometimes".

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
@Shareefruck

I can understand and appreciate that argument. I don't see eye to eye with it, but I can understand it. That said, to be honest, I tend to roll my eyes a little when people talk about games as "art." It's not that games can't have artistic qualities, but that I think that the praise goes a little overboard.

Most games that people call works of art were not designed to be art or made under conditions conducive to art. 25 years ago, especially, game development (from conception to design to programming to release) often took only 6 months, 6 months of long, hectic days with little break. Rarely did games end up as they were envisioned, even when they came out as masterpieces. Most designers of so-called masterpieces are pretty humble about it, IMO, because their games came together better than they could've dreamed. Most were just trying to deliver a game on time that would at least break even so that they could keep their jobs and make the next game. Occasionally, they hit on things that would come to be beloved, and I think that people nowadays call them works of art more to justify why they love them than any intrinsic quality in them.
I'm pretty sure I'm coming at it from the opposite viewpoint of what you're describing, though. I'm primarily a fan of art first and foremost, and I occasionally explore video games to see if I can get any feeling that's as creatively rewarding as I get from other mediums that I take more seriously. I'm not a fan of video games who is trying to force my interests into the territory of art-- video games are generally not a big hobby or interest of mine like movies/music is, and for the most part, even most of the acclaimed ones often seem like dumb addictive guilty pleasures that I tend to be dismissive of.

Honestly, the whole what is and isn't art thing is muddy to me anyways. All I know is that I'm never in it for the raw light-hearted fun or entertainment of it, and there's this other elusive thing that gives me real stimulation and satisfaction that I like to call art, that inspires creative passion in me and seems to have more to do with its form, taste, sensibility, and lack of compromise than its function. If there's a more appropriate word for that, I'm all ears.

I don't know if Super Metroid is entirely art, but there are certainly artistic elements that leave a strong impression on me, and it's about as close as it gets for me when it comes to videogames. There are probably only a handful of games that I would even consider for something like that (maybe just Super Metroid, Earthbound and Inside).

I don't see how the conditions you've described precludes something from potentially being art, though. A lot of great art arises from limitations and conditions that don't deliberately intend for it, and happy accidents are a vital part of any artistic process. Something coming out as intended isn't a requirement that I associate with art at all.

I do roll my eyes at the kinds of games that get brought up whenever people talk about the "are videogames art?" thing, though. Cringing just thinking about how Charlie Brooker keeps using "Papers, Please" as an example of why videogames should be taken seriously as an artform.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Basically - Super Metroid is to platformers what X-Com is to squad-based tactics.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Super Metroid was so good it basically created a sub-genre (Metroidvania) by itself. You could still see its influence in games today. I'd also argue it helped influence collect-a-thons a few years later since the game ending is tied to percentage of stuff found.

It also is probably one of the very first games that can be credited as a speedrunner's game. You can really break that game open if you know what you're doing.

That game is easily one of the three best games on SNES next to SMW and a Link to the Past.

PilotRedSun

Aug 24, 2018
1995 is when my beloved Genesis was on its last breath, but that was the year that Alien Soldier came out. One of the greatest 2d action games of all time.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
RE: SS. I agree 100%. The controls are awful and as a narrative it still is rather meh. I would still prefer Ultima Underworld to it as well. System Shock 2 is a masterpiece and on the shortlist of greatest PC games of all time. System Shock 1? I mean, I think there's a reason it was six years before it got a sequel.

FYI, System Shock: Enhanced Edition got a major update a week ago. It was re-built from the original game's source code and now supports up to 4K resolutions, borderless windowed mode, Direct3D and OpenGL rendering, field of view adjustment, anti-aliasing, texture filtering, mods and more. Basically, the game now has most of the same bells and whistles that the updated ("NewDark") version of System Shock 2 has.

I just updated to it and it's very nice. Looking around is buttery smooth and textures don't shake or shimmer any more. It now feels about on par with the source ports of the Doom engine, like GZDoom. Like those, the gameplay is still rather outdated, but at least you can now focus on appreciating that and not being distracted and frustrated by low resolution, no mouse look, obtuse controls, an obtrusive HUD and so on.

BTW, speaking of controls, it plays somewhat similarly to SS2 now, where there's a full mouse look mode and a user interface (inventory, logs, etc.) mode that you need to toggle between. If you're comfortable with how that works in SS2, you should be mostly comfortable with how SS1 controls now.

Edit: The default controls assign mouselook to the E key and fullscreen mode to Ctrl+F. The former toggles between looking around and interacting with the interface and the latter hides most of the constrictive UI so that the world fills the screen. You will probably want to press Ctrl+F once you start a game. You can also re-assign it under Input->Customize Controls->Neural->Full View. Something worth trying is assigning TAB to both Full View and Toggle Mouselook. That makes the mouselook toggle the same key as in System Shock 2 and sets the view to fullscreen mode at the same time.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Macho Man

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Of all the games on this list, the only two I haven't played are Descent and Chrono Trigger. The irony here is that Chrono Trigger is the only one on this list that I own. Picked it up a year ago, never got around to it.

I REALLY want to vote for Full Throttle, I had so much fun with those point and click games when I was a kid. King's Quest, Monkey Island and Full Throttle were always on every computer I ever owned growing up. Shame I missed the vote

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Looks like Chrono Trigger has ran away with this one.

Some notable 1994 releases:
  • DOOM II
  • Donkey Kong Country
  • Earthworm Jim
  • Final Fantasy VI
  • Super Metroid
  • Sonic and Nuckles
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 3
  • The Elder Scrolls: Arena
  • System Shock
  • Warcraft: Orcs & Humans
  • Star Wars: Tie Fighter
  • Need for Speed
  • Cruis'n USA
  • Killer Instinct
  • Wario's Woods
  • Jazz Jackrabbit
  • Tekken

Oh damn 94 is going to be really hard.

Super Metroid is what my gut says first. Rarely can you find a game that has perfect execution like it does.

Nailing everything from mood, music, look, controls, and it’s a near perfect length. God I love that game.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Oh damn 94 is going to be really hard.

Super Metroid is what my gut says first. Rarely can you find a game that has perfect execution like it does.

Nailing everything from mood, music, look, controls, and it’s a near perfect length. God I love that game.

I'm playing it in its entirety for the first time right now, having a blast. The game has certainly held up. My only main issues are that wall jumping is tricky, and I had no clue it took 5 missiles to open the pink doors (I tried doing 3 and was like...well that can't work, then ended up Googling it). Agreed though, it is a pretty flawless game. I just got to the Ship Wreck. Really enjoying it so far.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'm playing it in its entirety for the first time right now, having a blast. The game has certainly held up. My only main issues are that wall jumping is tricky, and I had no clue it took 5 missiles to open the pink doors (I tried doing 3 and was like...well that can't work, then ended up Googling it). Agreed though, it is a pretty flawless game. I just got to the Ship Wreck. Really enjoying it so far.

Yeah the wall jumping is tricky as hell, but I don’t think there is any point where you actually need to use it unless you are speed running or sequence breaking.

I didn’t even know it existed my first few times playing it.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Yeah the wall jumping is tricky as hell, but I don’t think there is any point where you actually need to use it unless you are speed running or sequence breaking.

I didn’t even know it existed my first few times playing it.

There's that point in the bottom left of Brinstar where it traps you with some crumbling bricks, gives you a save point, and then the only way out is to wall jump. As a guide the little animals are there to show you what to do, but when you were a kid that wasn't completely obvious and there was otherwise nothing else to indicate how to or that you could wall jump. That was extremely frustrating on the first playthrough :laugh:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
There's that point in the bottom left of Brinstar where it traps you with some crumbling bricks, gives you a save point, and then the only way out is to wall jump. As a guide the little animals are there to show you what to do, but when you were a kid that wasn't completely obvious and there was otherwise nothing else to indicate how to or that you could wall jump. That was extremely frustrating on the first playthrough :laugh:

I am like 90% sure that room is optional (and only exists to teach you that the Wall jump exists.$)

I could be totally wrong though. Been a bit since my last play through.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, wall jumping is supposed to be a tricky hidden technique, just like bomb jumps are. The room that teaches you how to do it is an optional secret, if I'm remembering correctly.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
I am like 90% sure that room is optional (and only exists to teach you that the Wall jump exists.$)

I could be totally wrong though. Been a bit since my last play through.

Ya that area is optional. Power Bomb is at the top and before that area is a Energy Tank and Super Missile expansion

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

Yeah, that's where I learned it - from those 3 green koalas that teach you. I wasn't sure if I'd need to use it again going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad