HF Retro Game of the Year - 1995 - Vote in the Poll!

Game of the year back in 1995?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Went with Warcraft 2 as it was the first RTS I played and was a great game to introduce me to the genre. Followed closely by Yoshi's Island and DKC2.

Still need to play Chrono Trigger and Earthbound.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I went with Chrono Trigger, although I don't know if it's fair as we're getting into a time where I haven't played as many games.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Normally I'm a JRPG guy but Warcraft II holds all the RTS nostalgia for me. Also the only one I could play multiplayer at a high level... eventually it came otu with a battle.net version. and for some reason while everyone is so damn good at Starcraft most people just suck at Warcraft II.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
C&C was far from the first to integrate the FMV fad into a game with actual gameplay, but Westwood did it the best.

Also I was bored, so here are the platform breakdowns of various winners:
Previous years:
2017 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 31%Nintendo
2016 - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - 20%Sony
2015 - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - 35%Multiplatform
2014 - South Park: The Stick of Truth - 15%Multiplatform
2013 - The Last of Us - 29%Sony
2012 - The Walking Dead - 20%Multiplatform
2011 - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - 48%Multiplatform
Retro Votes:
2010 - Red Dead Redemption - 31.6%Multiplatform
2009 - Assassin's Creed II - 20%Multiplatform
2008 - Fallout 3 - 43.5%Multiplatform
2007 - Mass Effect - 25%Multiplatform
2006 - The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - 22.8% Multiplatform
2005 - Civilization IV - 22.4%PC
2004 - Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - 27.4%Multiplatform
2003 - Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - 46.4%Multiplatform
2002 - Grand Theft Auto: Vice City - 34.2%Multiplatform
2001 - Grand Theft Auto III - 31.9%Multiplatform
2000 - Diablo II - 20.5%PC
1999 - Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings - 20%PC*
1998 - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of time - 34.5%Nintendo
1997 - GoldenEye 007 - 29.1%Nintendo
1995 - Super Mario 64 - 42.9%Nintendo
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

No MS/Xbox. I think one of the HALOs came close to winning though.

I called anything with a port within one year of initial release multiplatform. Like KOTOR was exclusive to Xbox for a while but the PC port came pretty quick for example.
AoE had a port but so did Starcraft and nobody cares about RTS console ports :laugh:

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Super Mario World 2 Yoshi's Island gets my vote. I like the games look and I like how they added a challenge system to get a perfect 100 score on the levels.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I went with Command & Conquer. It was the first of the second generation of RTSes that really showed that the genre was maturing and really made it take off in popularity. Dune II and Warcraft: Orcs & Humans were loads of fun, but were still trying to figure out the best control scheme and UI for an RTS. C&C was the first to figure it out and was a blast to play. The soundtrack, particularly, was epic. Sometimes, I'll load up the game just to listen to the soundtrack.

Warcraft II was every bit its equal, but came out 3 months after. I was already blown away by C&C, so I couldn't really be blown away by WC2, though I did enjoy it a lot. Also, I've always been more fond of C&C's and even WC1's art styles and not so fond of WC2's more cartoonish one. It's a great game, just not dear to me like several other RTSes (including C&C).

C&C was far from the first to integrate the FMV fad into a game with actual gameplay, but Westwood did it the best.

I'd agree that it was one of the best, but I would give Wing Commander III the nod for best, personally. Instead of FMV cutscenes at the end and/or start of missions, it wove them throughout the game. For example, you might trigger one by walking around the ship in-between missions and video of the actors was seamlessly superimposed over pre-rendered sets in lots of places (ex. when you picked your wingmen, you clicked on the actors fidgeting in place).

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
MechWarrior 2.

A great blend of action and a compelling plot based on the FASA Battletech universe.

Also had a great soundtrack - I believe it was the first gaming CD-ROM that you could also play as an audio CD for the game tracks.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
It's Chrono Trigger, not even close in my opinion. Iconic game, but I know that jRPG's go pretty underrated around here so I won't be surprised if it doesn't win the poll.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
I was really torn between Warcraft II and Mortal Kombat 3, both of which I adore dearly, but I think I have to give it to WCII. I was 8 when I first saw it and didn't know much about computer games other than SimAnt before that. WCII was the first game that I legitimately loved -- the color, the music, the interface, the story, the action, the voice recording. It's the reason why strategy is my favorite genre of games and why I played every Blizzard title they released for the next decade.

so I'll just give a quick shoutout to MK3. What a great game -- gory, of course, and delightfully so, but also really funny, challenging, and just so much fun. I can still pick it up and remember about half the combos for my favorite characters. By far my favorite fighting game ever.

Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Earthbound. It's not the best game on the list but it's my favourite game of all time and was amazingly ahead of its time.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Chrono Trigger and like many have said, AINEC.

The Dream-team cranked out a grand-slam with that one.

Akira Toriyama - Dragon Ball
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy
Yūji Horii - Dragon Quest/Warrior
Hironobu Sakaguchi -Final Fantasy

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Chrono Trigger and like many have said, AINEC.

The Dream-team cranked out a grand-slam with that one.

Akira Toriyama - Dragon Ball
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy
Yūji Horii - Dragon Quest/Warrior
Hironobu Sakaguchi -Final Fantasy

While it's true Uematsu did a few tracks, it was only because Yasunori Mitsuda got sick near the end and had to step aside. But pretty much every iconic composition from the game was Mitsuda. He's my favourite VG composer and I just had to bring that up.

Agree with the dream team sentiment though. Having the main forces behind Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest collaborate must have blown minds in Japan at the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad