HF Retro Game of the Year - 1995 - Vote in the Poll!

Game of the year back in 1995?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Chrono Trigger's still my second favorite game of all time, so easy choice for me even recognizing that I love Warcraft 2 and Earthbound.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
so I'll just give a quick shoutout to MK3. What a great game -- gory, of course, and delightfully so, but also really funny, challenging, and just so much fun. I can still pick it up and remember about half the combos for my favorite characters. By far my favorite fighting game ever.

Not saying it wasn't a good game but personally on the SNES me and a friend spent more time playing the hidden Galaga-type game than MK3 itself... To be fair though that was a really damn good mini game :laugh:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Chrono Trigger is the most complete/well rounded/polished game, but Earthbound blew me away more on the strength of what it did exceptionally well. Writing is typically merely serviceable even at its best in videogames, and I've never encountered stronger writing/personality in a videogame than Earthbound.

Reactions: Fixxer

member 157595

There are some extraordinarily good games here. 1985-1995 is my comfort zone so I'm happy to see that there are others that care about these games too. Prepare for a TLDR...

Chrono Trigger is my favorite game of all time and if I were forced to pick the greatest RPG ever made, that would be my pick; it is my vote in this poll. It's not a perfect game; no such thing exists. I would have liked a bit more character development on Crono's side and the difficulty curve can be a bit irregular at times. But there are simply so many things it doesn't just do well, but does spectacularly, in a way that few (if any) other games ever have. I still have the actual SNES cart, it still is in very good shape, and I barely let anyone else even look at it.

Earthbound, however, is right there in the ballpark with CT. One could make an argument that it is a superior game, though I believe CT is more refined and slightly better. No RPG I know of can touch Earthbound's charm though. The characters, the setting, the theme and the gameplay are all unique and incredibly well done. The SNES had CT, FFIV and VI, Earthbound and DQV...that's simply ridiculous on the RPG front, and that's not even including games like Secret of Mana, etc...

Descent...I had it when I was a kid. Loved it but holy shit did that game have an irregular difficulty curve. A good FPS with fully 3D movement? Sign me up. The problem is that if you're not really good this game will absolutely shit down your throat unless you're playing the lower skill levels, one of which is way too easy. Descent II was better but that f***ing robot that steals your power-ups (forgot what it's called) may be the most annoying thing in any PC game I've ever played.

DK2 is a great game on its own, but the soundtrack...the soundtrack is one of the greatest in video game history. The great thing about this game is how addictive it is; once you start playing this game you cannot f***ing stop. The controls are great, the visuals are stunning for the SNES and the gameplay is easy to pick up but not easy to master. Love this game so much.

Yoshi's Island may be my favorite game visually on the SNES. I love, love, LOVE the art style in this one. Also, few games define the word "nostalgia" like this one; playing this game again today opens a floodgate of memories in a way even games like CT don't, in a primal, emotionally deep manner. You cannot help but smile because this game is a time machine. But fire Baby Mario into the sun. Come to think of it, if I hate listening to the crying baby in this game, how am I going to handle the actual real life baby coming down the pipe in a few months? Maybe I should have thought about this ahead of time...:help:

Warcraft II is so underrated today and easily one of my 10 favorite PC games ever. Did anyone else hack this and modify the game for amusement purposes? I made the "Troll Axethrowers" into "Troll Assthrowers" and changed the sound effects for the Grunts to something akin to taking a dump. Yeah, I was very mature in the mid-90's. This game got intense in multiplayer, especially when you got close to the max unit limit, but I put StarCraft's multiplayer over WC2's (played the shit out of SC in college). The campaign was really fun too but damn hard toward the end.

Street Fighter Alpha...I was always way more of a SF kid than an MK one. When the bigger kids swarmed the MK cabinets, I was putting quarters in the SF2 machines. I remember giggling when the message "5Hit Combo" came on the screen in this one because I swear it looked just like "Shit Combo" and as I've stated, I was totally mature in 1995. However, I don't know this one as well as I know World Warrior and SF2: Turbo. I played it in the arcade, and thought it was incredible, but never had this at home so it doesn't hold nearly as much nostalgia for me as some other games in the series do. I definitely preferred it to MK3 because the controls and gameplay were much, much tighter and refined.

MW2 is fantastic too. What's interesting about this one is that like with the Street Fighter series, most people don't remember the first game (Street Fighter was released at home on the PC Engine/TurboGrafx and it was terrible, and I didn't play the original MechWarrior until much later and was not particularly impressed.) I really enjoyed this game but wish I had played it more (a friend had it). Is this game freeware yet, or can I play this another way (like how DOOM has source ports)? I want my Mechs to NOT overheat as often as they did 20+ years ago...

I played a lot of Worms: Armageddon, but never played the original. Don't have sufficient memories of the remaining games to comment on.

Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I'll never understand the crying baby Mario criticisms in Yoshi's Island. It sounds fine to my ears, isn't anything close to what I'd consider poor sound design, and communicates its purpose well.

member 157595

I'll never understand the crying baby Mario criticisms in Yoshi's Island. It sounds fine to my ears, isn't anything close to what I'd consider poor sound design, and communicates its purpose well.

There's nothing wrong on a technical level with the programming or execution of Baby Mario. I just happen to hate him.

member 157595

Everybody seems to. I don't really get it.

In my case, it's because I'm an inconsiderate asshole. As for others, I don't really know; Baby Mario does make sense within the context of the game.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Everybody seems to. I don't really get it.

I think it's a combination of him being an annoying little twat (the repetition of his wahhs) while simultaneously being stressed over rescuing him and having him float away at times. Not the best combination. It only really annoys me when it occurs at difficult junctures in the game.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
MK3 for me.

Also you have Mario 64 listed as 1995 in the topic thread and in your post with the table of winners. No big. Just letting you know.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I think it's a combination of him being an annoying little **** (the repetition of his wahhs) while simultaneously being stressed over rescuing him and having him float away at times. Not the best combination. It only really annoys me when it occurs at difficult junctures in the game.
I don't see how it's any different in function or annoyingness to any other audio alert when you're low on health in other classic games (Link to the Past, for example). Maybe just a frequency thing if you're getting hit a lot?

I actually find myself getting more bothered by the Link to the Past sound (but even then, not really), because it can potentially take a while before you find another heart or die, yet I've never heard anyone complain about that or treat it as a weak point in the game. With Yoshi's Island, it's such a common complaint that it's basically turned into a meme.

Maybe I'm just better at not getting hit or recovering quickly with Yoshi's Island than I am at avoiding low health in Zelda.

Last edited:

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I don't see how it's any different in function or annoyingness to any other audio alert when you're low on health in other classic games (Link to the Past, for example). Maybe just a frequency thing if you're getting hit a lot?

I actually find myself getting more bothered by the Link to the Past sound (but even then, not really), because it can potentially take a while before you find another heart or die, yet I've never heard anyone complain about that or treat it as a weak point in the game. With Yoshi's Island, it's such a common complaint that it's basically turned into a meme.

Maybe I'm just better at not getting hit or recovering quickly with Yoshi's Island than I am at avoiding low health in Zelda.

It isn't any different than other audio alerts - I completely agree, the beeping alert for low health in LttP is more annoying based on the frequency (pretty much my only gripe with the game, otherwise a flawless game that is my personal favourite of all time). That's something I would never think about taking issue with, unless I'm currently playing the game and it persists for more than a minute or two.

Baby Mario crying might also hit a sore spot for people because it's easily relatable to being stuck with crying babies in real life (such as on a long flight).

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Actual scientific studies have shown crying babies to be one of the most unpleasant noises for people on average . I don't think it's much more complicated then that.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Actual scientific studies also show that crying babies sound even more annoying when paired with shitty egg throwing mechanics.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Looks like Chrono Trigger has ran away with this one.

Some notable 1994 releases:
  • DOOM II
  • Donkey Kong Country
  • Earthworm Jim
  • Final Fantasy VI
  • Super Metroid
  • Sonic and Nuckles
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 3
  • The Elder Scrolls: Arena
  • System Shock
  • Warcraft: Orcs & Humans
  • Star Wars: Tie Fighter
  • Need for Speed
  • Cruis'n USA
  • Killer Instinct
  • Wario's Woods
  • Jazz Jackrabbit
  • Tekken

member 157595

Some incredible games on that list, some overrated, some underrated...and then God said "Let Their Be Platformer!" and Super Metroid happened. :laugh:

I'll get to thinking and will see if I have anything to add to your list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->