Prospect Info: HF Mock Draft 9th Overall

battlingBard56

May 30, 2011
Union County, NJ
Watching some videos of him, Domi looks like a Parise clone. And between a guy who's 6 ft 4 but thin as a rail and a guy who's like 5 ft 9 and built like a tank, as well as still play a physical game, I go with the guy built like a tank. There's a difference between a player being short and a player being small, after all.

So long as the player is physically strong enough to play his game and contribute offensively, why not grab him?

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Domi's built (Ford) tough but he's still small, which worries me that he won't play the way a small guy needs to in the NHL. Shinkaruk is a little taller but has almost no physical game to speak of, but sometimes I wonder if that's better because he knows how to play as a vulnerable guy. Domi won't be able to outmuscle kids in the NHL, but at the same time, Shinkaruk might only look so good in juniors because as a whole, everyone's much weaker and his physical attributes aren't as much of a detriment. Domi is faster but Shinkaruk is known for his really strong and agile skating style, and both have sick hands, hockey sense, and good vision, okay shots, and need to work on strength and defense.

It's getting to the point where I can't decide between the two. Pronman leans Domi over Shinkaruk which made me less cautious about the kid, but from everything I've seen and read, I like Shinkaruk a little more. Most of the complaints I see about him are his strength, which can be fixed. But Domi's style seems like it might fit better with the "new new new NHL" as we head perilously close to clutch and grab, and my biggest worry about Shinkaruk is that he didn't seem to build up on his previous year in juniors.

**** it. Flip a coin.

Devils86

Apr 8, 2008
i actually think if it goes like this we'd look for someone in the early to mid teens that wanted a D man and trade down and hope Domi was still there

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
i'd like to trade down to the late first round and see if we can pick up a future first NFL-style

I wouldn't mind that strategy and use our late first round pick to draft Fucale.

But if we are staying at pick 9, I would take Shinkaruk assuming the scenario as per the poll.

Personally I don't think Edmonton drafts a foward especially with Nurse likely available at pick 7.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The Oakland Raiders have that constant need to go for speed when drafting WR's and its backfired like 90% of the time for the past decade.

I'm not saying Domi's a bust but sometimes hockey IQ is a better card to have in your back pocket.

Again going off reports. But report on Shink is he is both not that fast, and not that strong. Dude better be a hockey genius.

My basic thought on Domi is: if he is a skilled version of his pops, he's going to be good. Maybe that's too simplistic, but given the choice between these two, I'm going Domi.

Rolling again with the Ranger's son connection is an odd sidenote I like as well.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Again going off reports. But report on Shink is he is both not that fast, and not that strong. Dude better be a hockey genius.

My basic thought on Domi is: if he is a skilled version of his pops, he's going to be good. Maybe that's too simplistic, but given the choice between these two, I'm going Domi.

Rolling again with the Ranger's son connection is an odd sidenote I like as well.

"Not fast" doesn't mean slow. He's got good speed, just not "great" speed, and otherwise, his skating is phenomenal and one of his top assets. Read Pronman's write-up, Shinkaruk is number 10: http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1520

EDIT: Also if Lou drafts Fucale in round one I'm not spending on a dime on this dumb team next season.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

The hate on Fucale is borderline ridiculous.

The kid is getting absolutely no love around here and I have no idea why. Maybe it's because he's playing on a team with Drouin and MacKinnon, who knows.

One thing I do know is that he's a future #1 and is possibly the best netminder to come out of the draft since Carey Price. If we do trade down to the mid teens, early 20's, he'd be a excellent pick for a franchise in need of a stud netminder in their prospect pool.

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426

The kid is getting absolutely no love around here and I have no idea why. Maybe it's because he's playing on a team with Drouin and MacKinnon, who knows.

One thing I do know is that he's a future #1 and is possibly the best netminder to come out of the draft since Carey Price. If we do trade down to the mid teens, early 20's, he'd be a excellent pick for a franchise in need of a stud netminder in their prospect pool.

whos hating fucale? stop being a drama queen. i havent seen anyone flamming him in this thread. we just need goals yesterday.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL

I don't really see anyone hating on Fucale, but I'm generally against drafting any goalie in the first round.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

EDIT: Also if Lou drafts Fucale in round one I'm not spending on a dime on this dumb team next season.

whos hating fucale? stop being a drama queen. i havent seen anyone flamming him in this thread. we just need goals yesterday.

If that comment isn't hating on someone, I don't know what else to say.

The entire point was linked to a post stating that if we were to trade in the early 20's, we should look at Fucale and I couldn't agree more. There's not a "scorer" I'd take over Fucale at that position but it doesn't really matter since I don't see us moving down 12 or 13 spots.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $25.00