Prospect Info: HF Mock Draft 8th Overall Selection

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
How come people aren't as high on Zadorov as they are on Nurse or Risto?

Nurse/Zadarov are in the same high upside, high development boat...

Ristolainen is far far far more developed and ready to go. He's NHL ready.

I think Nurse gets more of a pass on the "project" nature of his draft stock. While Zadarov is Russian, so there is always the development stigma attached.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I think Nashville is the best shot at trading up...

I'd dangle Hodgson - #16 and St Louis 2nd for #4 to start.

If it wasn't good enough I'd go with Hodgson and #8 for #4.

I want Barkov more than Drouin and McKinnon.

yea, I think there is no way you get to #4, without using #8.

I'd rather trade Ennis in that package scenario.

#8, Ennis, stl 2nd
for
#4 Barkov

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I am quite fine at sitting at 8 and taking one of Lindholm/Monahan/Nichushkin/Ristolainen. I don't see the big deal with moving up

I believe that Ristolainen ceiling is Brent Seabrook, a solid top pair guy. I do not believe he will ever be a guy who is a franchise player. If you get a Seabrook type impact at #8 that is very good value.

I also believe that the difference between Nurse and Ristolainen is very minimal, Ristolainen is further along at this point and a safer player. Ristolainen has kinda been the flavour of the week.

Monahan, Nichushkin and Lindholm have me more excited though.

I think Rasmus game is totally a Chris Pronger clone...

to me, it's the complete opposite... there is a BIG difference between Nurse and Rasmus.

Sitting at #8 might be OK... but I'd rather our guys target someone, and go get him. Adding all this ammunition is nice... but our pipeline isn't barren. Adding 4 prospects is cool and all, but surely it would be better if our front office said, "THIS guy... THIS is a guy we can build our franchise around"... and then did everything possible to get him.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Who do we have in our defensive pipeline that alleviates concern about not having studs back there? What am I missing?

How about... You know... A defensive defenseman ?

getting aDman at 16 or in the 2nd round is alot easier than gettting a skilled forward.

Assume their top 6 going into next season are: Ehrhoff, Myers, Sekera, Pysyk, Weber + Vet Dman they sign + Pardy/Sulzer as the 7th.

In Rochester/prospects farm they would have: Ruhwedel, McNabb, Guthier-Leduc, and McCabe among others.

picking a Dman at 8 puts pressure on him being in the NHL in 2-3 yrs time.

Buffalo's weakness is not in their defense.

Lets look at forwards:

Centers are good with Grigorenko,Girgenson, Larrson, Catenacci, and others.

What about wingers:

Armia, and.......?????????????

the first 2 picks needs to be on drafting wingers.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
getting aDman at 16 or in the 2nd round is alot easier than gettting a skilled forward.

Assume their top 6 going into next season are: Ehrhoff, Myers, Sekera, Pysyk, Weber + Vet Dman they sign + Pardy/Sulzer as the 7th.

In Rochester/prospects farm they would have: Ruhwedel, McNabb, Guthier-Leduc, and McCabe among others.

Lets look at forwards:

What about wingers:

Dont tell me about a Center cvould convert to winger.

why? 2 of those 4 you listed... will probably be wingers.

Buffalo's weakness IS in their defense.

As far as our youth goes... McCabe and Pysyk project as 2nd pairing guys. Myers career/development is a mess.

A franchise defensemen like Risto would be an incredible get...

Our defensive pipeline is a massive myth

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Our defensive pipeline is a massive myth

I think that's because a lot of our "pipeline" is now either on the team full time, or has been a bust. The defensive cupboard has been ransacked, but it was very promising a year ago. We never had anything close to a potential all star though, which I think is your point.

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY

Lets look at forwards:

What about wingers:

What Dmen do we have that are so great? Ehrhoff and Sekera are the only two currently worth a damn. Pysyk seems like he will turn out decent. But the rest are either trainwrecks, hope-projects, or 3rd pair lifers.

Meanwhile we actually have several promising forwards in Girgs, Grigs, Armia, Larsson.

Also, the vast majority of prospects ranked near 16 are forwards. Gauthier, Horvat, Erne, Zykov, Wennberg, Mantha... RR & any of those would be an excellent draft.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Lets look at forwards:

What about wingers:

Girgensons, Larsson, and Catenacci could all EASILY play winger and that could easily be the best place for them. Ennis can also obviously play winger and that also may be the best place for him. Grigorenko could also player winger.

You draft the best player available, everything else is a distant second consideration. However, if you want to consider our pipeline, it lacks legit top-pairing potential (as opposed to "top 4" potential), as does our roster. We could use defensemen or forwards.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Yeah, outside of Myers, we don't have any d-men that look like they have top pairing/#1 upside, and while we can hope Myers gets back on track, it certainly wouldn't hurt to add another high end defensive talent like Ristolainen. If the board IRL breaks the way it has here, I think Risto's BPA too. It looks like there will be plenty of options for forwards with pretty good upside at 16 and 38 anyway.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
How come people aren't as high on Zadorov as they are on Nurse or Risto?

His decision making isn't as refined as the other two -- and not that the others are perfect by any measure. I like Zadorov for what he projects out to be eventually -- a monstrous shutdown guy who can controls games with his size and ability to erase his competition, someone with 2-way game and surprising speed for his size. If he's there at 16, all over him like the proverbial fat kid on a smarty.

But not at 8.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

to me, it's the complete opposite... there is a BIG difference between Nurse and Rasmus.

Sitting at #8 might be OK... but I'd rather our guys target someone, and go get him. Adding all this ammunition is nice... but our pipeline isn't barren. Adding 4 prospects is cool and all, but surely it would be better if our front office said, "THIS guy... THIS is a guy we can build our franchise around"... and then did everything possible to get him.

Rasmus Ristolainen is a clone of the second- or third-best defenseman of his entire generation? Do you think you might be getting a bit loose with these comparables?

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
yea, I think there is no way you get to #4, without using #8.

I'd rather trade Ennis in that package scenario.

#8, Ennis, stl 2nd
for
#4 Barkov

I'd rather do that as well... but I think they'd covet Hodgson more.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

Plus...if the game plan is "suffering" for a bit... We're bound to have more picks in the coming years that will fill out the cupboard in the areas of weakness...and lets not forget the potential picks coming with a Vanek and or Miller trade. If you can get an elite prospect now...you move up and do it.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Plus...if the game plan is "suffering" for a bit... We're bound to have more picks in the coming years that will fill out the cupboard in the areas of weakness...and lets not forget the potential picks coming with a Vanek and or Miller trade. If you can get an elite prospect now...you move up and do it.

Yup yup

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Here is a homework question....make a list of who you feel are the top 20 defenseman in the league and then look and see where thy have been drafted.....do the same with top 20 forwards ( half centers, and half wingers) what do you see?

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Top ten Centers -
Getzlaf - 19th
Staal - 2nd
Toews - 3rd
Datsyuk - 171st
Carter - 11th
Tavares - 1st
Crosby - 1st
Malkin - 2nd
Couture - 9th
Stamkos - 1st

Top ten wingers
Perry - 28th
Ryan - 2nd
Vanek - 3rd
Kane - 1st
Zetterberg - 210th
Brown - 13th
Parise - 17th
Kovalchuk - 1st
St. Louis - undrafted
Ovechkin - 1st

Top Ten D-men
Chara - 56th
Keith - 54th
Doughty - 2nd
Suter - 7th
Subban - 43rd
Weber - 49th
Staal - 12th
Karlsson - 15th
Letang - 62nd
Pietrangelo - 4th

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
thanks for the participation guys and I will see you in a week or 2 for your next pick

with the 8th Overall selection Buffalo Sabres select Rasmus Ristolainen

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Rasmus Ristolainen is a clone of the second- or third-best defenseman of his entire generation? Do you think you might be getting a bit loose with these comparables?

i tried to make the distinction by saying his "game" was a pronger clone

a better phrase would've been "patterned after"

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Top ten Centers -
Getzlaf - 19th
Staal - 2nd
Toews - 3rd
Datsyuk - 171st
Carter - 11th
Tavares - 1st
Crosby - 1st
Malkin - 2nd
Couture - 9th
Stamkos - 1st

Top ten wingers
Perry - 28th
Ryan - 2nd
Vanek - 3rd
Kane - 1st
Zetterberg - 210th
Brown - 13th
Parise - 17th
Kovalchuk - 1st
St. Louis - undrafted
Ovechkin - 1st

Top Ten D-men
Chara - 56th
Keith - 54th
Doughty - 2nd
Suter - 7th
Subban - 43rd
Weber - 49th
Staal - 12th
Karlsson - 15th
Letang - 62nd
Pietrangelo - 4th

Great post. Exactly why you don't reach with a defenseman that high in a draft. If someone of an equal draft grade is there on the offensive side of the game you take him no question. Only Detriot is able to get All Star offensive players in the 6th and 7th rounds. ^_^

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Great post. Exactly why you don't reach with a defenseman that high in a draft. If someone of an equal draft grade is there on the offensive side of the game you take him no question. Only Detriot is able to get All Star offensive players in the 6th and 7th rounds. ^_^

That's hardly the only conclusion to make. If you note, most of the top forwards are top 3 picks. That doesn't tell us much about what to do with picks that aren't on the top 3, and more than anything it tells us that GMs value sure-fire elite forwards with their top 3 picks. If you made lists of the top players who weren't top 3 picks, I imagine the forward list would look pretty similar to the defenseman list. The fact that there are only half as many defensemen in the tgame as there are forwards also plays into it.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

amazingly you failed to pick up on the fact the the more recent top end guys (doughty, petriangelo, karlsson, staal) did in fact go high in the first

you probably would've passed on Brodin for the "equal forward"....:laugh:

ps you should probably stop referencing Detroit they havent drafted an impact player in the late rounds in 15 years
and not only has Detroit done a piss poor job over the last decade (as scouting has caught up with them... but other teams have found their own gems....
Pavelski was a 7th rounder
Benn was a 5th rounder
Marty St Louis was undrafted
Matt Maulson was a 9th round pick
Radim Vrbata was a 7th

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Ristolainen sounds like the bread winner or our desired pick. What sets him out from the others though? I don't get a chance to see these guys till the NHL or AHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad