Prospect Info: HF Mock Draft 8th Overall Selection

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Buffalo's needs are with forward and winger---not Defense....they either take Shinkaruk....or they trade down a couple of spots.

they are going to take a forward with the first pick.

they do not need to pick Defense in the 1st round.

thefifagod

I'm The Survivor
Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo's needs are with forward and winger---not Defense....they either take Shinkaruk....or they trade down a couple of spots.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. It clearly depends on how the board falls but if Lindholm and Monahan go between 5 and 7, it seems like it should be a defensemen. They have needs for great players everywhere, they should be taking BPA at 8 and in my opinion that's RR.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
You are comparing the season of a 19/20 year old 2 years after his draft to a 17/18 year old in his draft year. Nurse has 2 seasons left in junior, not 1 (unless of course he was in the NHL).

2 years in junior is a massive difference. In their respective draft years Nurse put up nearly double the points Teubert did.

Wasn't the season I posted the season after his draft, not two years after? If I'm wrong, I apologize. I thought he was drafted and then played one more year with the pats?

Edit: is this an oilers fan swooping in to the defense of their new blueline toy? :naughty:

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Buffalo's needs are at literally every position, whether we're talking about the NHL roster or the pipeline. NHL needs don't really matter much with the draft anyhow. The defense could definitely use a guy with top pairing potential, especially because we don't know who will be here in, say, 3 years.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA

Who do we have in our defensive pipeline that alleviates concern about not having studs back there? What am I missing?

How about... You know... A defensive defenseman ?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Wasn't the season I posted the season after his draft, not two years after? If I'm wrong, I apologize. I thought he was drafted and then played one more year with the pats?

Edit: is this an oilers fan swooping in to the defense of their new blueline toy? :naughty:

Drafted June 2008, played the 2008-2009 and 2009-2010 season with the Pats before turning pro in 2010-2011 season.

And nah... I hope Monahan drops to the Oilers :P Although I would have taken Nurse over Nichuskin unlike the some of the other Oiler fans it appears.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Drafted June 2008, played the 2008-2009 and 2009-2010 season with the Pats before turning pro in 2010-2011 season.

And nah... I hope Monahan drops to the Oilers :P Although I would have taken Nurse over Nichuskin unlike the some of the other Oiler fans it appears.

Apologies on the misleading statistical post before, then. Thanks for fixing.

Safe to assume, based on what I'm gathering from you, that it's Nurse over Ristolainen for you preferentially?

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

To be added to their Oiler untouchable list come June 30.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Take Best Player Available, regardless of position in the early rounds. Fill need for position in later rounds.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Nurse or Rasmus. Can one of our prospect gurus throw together a comparison?
Here are Future Considerations' profiles on Ristolainen and Nurse:
Ristolainen is a big, strong blueliner that plays a calm, composed and safe game; not trying to do more than his abilities will allow him to do. A talented skater, he has a plus level athletic body with very good mobility for a player his size. His skating gives him a chance to quickly close in every possible direction within his reach defensively. Ristolainen has some room to grow with his skating as he uses short steps and moves mostly with agility rather than power. He has a good head for the game; keeps his head up and makes smart reads. He has good focus, is ready to contribute in all three zones and wants to make an impact.
Nurse is a big lanky kid who skates very well, has good feet, good straight-line speed and excellent lateral agility. His balance and acceleration, while already decent, will likely get much better as he adds more muscle and fills out his thin frame. He was strong positional and good at controlling his gaps. He has a strong stick that is always in passing lanes. He showed that strong defensive zone play in his rookie OHL season as he would play physical, pinning opponents to the boards and clearing his crease, but this season he is adding an offensive element.

Here are Bill Placzek's profiles on Ristolainen and Nurse:
Was already a presence on D at the 2011-12 World Juniors, where he was the right point-man on the number one power play, and was asked to step up and fill in at a spot usual occupied by the older junior defenseman. He is big, physical and skilled, and has a low-panic level and shoots the puck hard and fast. He is very mobile and agile as an attacker and power-play pointman. He already plays in a league with grown men and successfully competes. Gets used on both points on the power play. You may not be getting an elite up-ice guy, but more of a highly capable two-way guy who will surprise you when he jumps up into the attack. One of the top defensive prospects of this class and clearly one of the bigger bodies.
Big, mobile defenseman who is a bit of a long-term project, but displays an emerging physically punishing game. An exceptional PK defender with quick starts/stops and a quick stick. Father played pro football. Donavan McNabb is married to his aunt. Very fluid skater with fine range, and displays playmaking abilities. Still needs to build his defensive game and edge. Reads situations well and can pass the puck tape to tape. Can throw punishing hits and use his reach. At this juncture, he plays it safe, and doesn't go out of his way to jump into the attack. There is excellent upside because he shows strong instincts in all three zones, has a good stick, and can dish while his wheels are churning. His improved up-ice work as puck carrier and passer has elevated him as a first rounder, and there is still time for him to build his offensive game. I don't think that aspect will drop him very far down the NHL team lists.

Here is Matias Strozyk's profile on Ristolainen:
One of the best defensemen of his age group, Ristolainen is a top-prospect for the 2013 NHL Draft. He is a calm player with good two-way ability and a mature style of play, though his defensive awareness still needs work. Ristolainen moves the puck with confidence and though he's not a big-time hitter, he plays the body and likes to get physical in front of the net. He also has good mobility. Ristolainen has an excellent frame and has gained a lot of strength while playing in SM-liiga. He is good with the puck and solid defensively, but has also displayed ability to work the powerplay.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Buffalo needs high end talent, period. Doesn't matter the position.

Once you get past McCabe, every defensive prospect we have other than Austin will be in a professional league this year. And on top, none of the defensive prospects we have have the ceiling of RR or Nurse.

If the board falls this way, the talent is on defense, and that's what we should take.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I'm curious: does this poll change if the question is "who do we think Darcy would pick?" That's the question I'm most interested in.

Regardless of what everyone thinks of him, he always explains the logic behind his decisions pretty well, I find. It makes it fun to guess from that perspective. After all, his ranking is really the only one that actually matters since he's doing the picking.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
If this is how the board falls at #8, Nurse is (like the above says) more of a project. He may have a higher ceiling but I'd rather have a sure bet like Ristolainen - a kid who's been playing men already and has a WELL rounded game. Regier has said that with relying on the draft, they have to get the picks right. To me that means no reaches, no risks. So between RR and Nurse, RR is the choice.

After that players like Domi and Shinkaruk have great skill, but they are also small and that translates to a possible risk at the NHL level. Beyond that risk, even if their game translates to the NHL, it might not be good enough for PLAYOFF hockey. I want guys with skill, but that also have size to build on, some grit and determination that will come into play during playoff hockey. That means Monahan (if he falls), Horvat, Zadarov, and even Pulock has size with a solid two-way game. Those are the types I believe Buffalo needs, and that Regier will target.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I'm fine with Ristolainen here if the board breaks this way, but I'm a bit shocked by the 3:1 ratio of Ristolainen:Nurse. Perhaps all the campaigning in recent days.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I'm fine with Ristolainen here if the board breaks this way, but I'm a bit shocked by the 3:1 ratio of Ristolainen:Nurse. Perhaps all the campaigning in recent days.

I've been campaigning trade up for Barkov (too hard) or Risto (if he gets past Carolina) for awhile

I think there is a huge gap between Risto and Nurse... one is a blue chip prospect the other is a Myers-esque project
(Not comparing Nurse to Myers in any other sense than the project nature of their future and thus their draft stock)

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I've been campaigning trade up for Barkov (too hard) or Risto (if he gets past Carolina) for awhile

I think there is a huge gap between Risto and Nurse... one is a blue chip prospect the other is a Myers-esque project
(Not comparing Nurse to Myers in any other sense than the project nature of their future and thus their draft stock)

Exactly. Except Risto has to make it past the Oilers too. Just because their fans want another forward doesn't mean their GM does. I find it very hard to believe they will pass him up if he's still there at 7, but you never know. He's exactly who they need in this draft.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Nothing against Risto/Nurse, but that is absolutely as bad as the scenario could get for Buffalo picking 8th IMO.

I'd like at least the chance to pick one of Lindholm/Monahan/Nichushkin

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Exactly. Except Risto has to make it past the Oilers too. Just because their fans want another forward doesn't mean their GM does. I find it very hard to believe they will pass him up if he's still there at 7, but you never know. He's exactly who they need in this draft.

I was saying we should trade up to get Risto. I think Edmonton would be comically stupid to pass on him at 7.

We've draft day traded with Calgary before...

If Carolina takes a forward or Nurse... we should be on the phone with Feaster immediately looking to leap over Edmonton.

Trade scenarios

1. Nashville #4 for Barkov
2. Carolina #5 for Barkov, or Ristolainen (if Barkov is gone)
3. Calgary #6 for Ristolainen (Barkov will be gone)

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I was saying we should trade up to get Risto. I think Edmonton would be comically stupid to pass on him at 7.

We've draft day traded with Calgary before...

If Carolina takes a forward or Nurse... we should be on the phone with Feaster immediately looking to leap over Edmonton.

Trade scenarios

1. Nashville #4 for Barkov
2. Carolina #5 for Barkov, or Ristolainen (if Barkov is gone)
3. Calgary #6 for Ristolainen (Barkov will be gone)

Feaster is already on record stating their first pick will only be used to trade up....its essentially untouchable.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Bummer

I would trade 8 and 16 and player for #4

Barkov for the win

I think Nashville is the best shot at trading up...

I'd dangle Hodgson - #16 and St Louis 2nd for #4 to start.

If it wasn't good enough I'd go with Hodgson and #8 for #4.

I want Barkov more than Drouin and McKinnon.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I am quite fine at sitting at 8 and taking one of Lindholm/Monahan/Nichushkin/Ristolainen. I don't see the big deal with moving up

I believe that Ristolainen ceiling is Brent Seabrook, a solid top pair guy. I do not believe he will ever be a guy who is a franchise player. If you get a Seabrook type impact at #8 that is very good value.

I also believe that the difference between Nurse and Ristolainen is very minimal, Ristolainen is further along at this point and a safer player. Ristolainen has kinda been the flavour of the week.

Monahan, Nichushkin and Lindholm have me more excited though.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad