Prospect Info: HF Mock Draft 8th Overall Selection

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
greetings Sabres fans, I've thought a cool idea for this draft would be to do a mock draft by going through each team forum in order of there pick in the first round and poll who they would take. whoever gets the most votes gets picked. and is taken off the list for the next team. with the 7th overall pick Edmonton took Nichushkin with the other results just below. I'm hoping that by going through each team's forum I would get a better idea of who there team might select since those fans should know the most about there teams, so given the circumstances who would Buffalo select 8th overall?

Picks so Far:

Avalanche: Seth Jones
Panthers: Nathan Mackinnon
Lightning: Jonathon Drouin
Predators: Aleksander Barkov
Hurricanes: Sean Monahan
Flames: Elias Lindholm
Oilers: Valeri Nichushkin

after I go through all 30 picks of the first round I will post the results in the prospect section.

I also ask that I'm looking to poll Sabres fans so if your not an Sabres fan and just browsing I ask that you refrain from voting thanks.

also Mods I realize you guys have a prospects thread but this type of thing needs to be done in a poll so I ask that you don't delete/merge the thread to allow me to continue thanks

thefifagod

I'm The Survivor
Jul 3, 2008
This is exactly what I'm hoping for, Nichushkin is gone letting someone else drop. I take Ristolainen and I don't think twice, all due respect to Nurse, Shinaruk and everyone else.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Really the only other guys we'd consider were already taken. Monahan, Lindholm, and Nichushkin.

The only thing that might have thrown a wrench in it was if someone took Nurse, and that didn't happen.

Sean McG

Dec 27, 2009
Niagara on the Lake, ON
I voted for Nurse, but admittedly still haven't seen Ristolainen play much. From what I have seen I like a lot.. just don't know enough to have an informed opinion.

Looks like Risto is running away with the vote so it doesn't really matter.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Hoping for Lindholm. :(

Nurse or Rasmus. Can one of our prospect gurus throw together a comparison?

Nurse has athletic prowess and a lot of raw ability. He's been rising on a lot of lists and plays a complete game. Projection with him is big, he's still rounding out his game.

Ristolainen also plays a very complete game, including being a big RD with a bit of sisu, of Finnish mean to his game. He's the more polished of the two and given the choice of the two, he's my pick at 8. Heck, I picked him here in the Mod Mock. :biglaugh:

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Hoping for Lindholm. :(

Nurse or Rasmus. Can one of our prospect gurus throw together a comparison?

Not necessarily a guru here, but....

Nurse is more raw, will be an NHLer of some sort, likely has a higher ceiling than Risto. Plays a complete game, but will take himself out of position to assert himself physically.

Nisto is more developed now and has less development to do. Will most certainly be a top 4 NHL Dman and has a real chance to be a top pairing guy. Likely ready to play next year. Not as physical as Nurse, but doesn't shy.

Basically, I see their ceilings as VERY similar (to each other and to the position they play). They're both likely to be complete, 20 min-a-game guys. I just think Nisto is a little more likely to be a better player than Nurse.

But, when it gets down to it -- beauty is in the eye of the beholder here. I don't think either choice is a bad one.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Nurse has athletic prowess and a lot of raw ability. He's been rising on a lot of lists and plays a complete game. Projection with him is big, he's still rounding out his game.

Ristolainen also plays a very complete game, including being a big RD with a bit of sisu, of Finnish mean to his game. He's the more polished of the two and given the choice of the two, he's my pick at 8. Heck, I picked him here in the Mod Mock. :biglaugh:

Thanks. I knew more about Nurse, but I like the sounds of Ristolainen. Plus, you've gotta love the Finn names. :)

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
A lot of fan bases have Nurse ahead of Ristolainen. How come Buffalo prefers RR so much more?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
A lot of fan bases have Nurse ahead of Ristolainen. How come Buffalo prefers RR so much more?

Men's league vs. Juniors weighs in RR's favor. Being the ever-valued rightie weighs in his favor. Being more polished now and less of a project weighs into it. I really like both of them. I just like Rasmus a touch more.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I've eased off of Nurse lately... Something about him has started to scream "Colton Teubert"...

Nurse (6'5, 192) this past season junior: 12g, 29a, 41pts, 116pim, +15
Teubert (6'4, 200) in his last year w/ Regina: 10g, 30a, 40pts, 115pim, -2

Granted, Nurse probably has another year of junior in which he improves the stats, but that's the immediate name that has come to my mind the last two weeks when talking Darnell

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I've eased off of Nurse lately... Something about him has started to scream "Colton Teubert"...

Nurse (6'5, 192) this past season junior: 12g, 29a, 41pts, 116pim, +15
Teubert (6'4, 200) in his last year w/ Regina: 10g, 30a, 40pts, 115pim, -2

Granted, Nurse probably has another year of junior in which he improves the stats, but that's the immediate name that has come to my mind the last two weeks when talking Darnell

You are comparing the season of a 19/20 year old 2 years after his draft to a 17/18 year old in his draft year. Nurse has 2 seasons left in junior, not 1 (unless of course he was in the NHL).

2 years in junior is a massive difference. In their respective draft years Nurse put up nearly double the points Teubert did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad