Prospect Info: HF Mock Draft 7th Overall Selection

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
Don't get the notion of Lindholm being the "small c" he's 6 feet and got grit, would likely come to camp this fall at close to 200 lbs.

because in Oily land, if you aren't at least 6'2" and 200, you are considered small. seems Oiler fans, and rightfully so, have had their fill of "small" players in this organization like Gagner, Cogliano, Nilsson, O'Sullivan, Reddox, Bergeron, Grebeshkov, Vishnovsky, Brule, Chorney, Schremp, Omark....

Last edited by a moderator:

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
I'm not a fan of Feaster at all, but I like both picks, the Jankowski and the Khaira pick, the Khaira one more. I get all James Brown, whenever I think about it. Both kids were sleepers. Jankowski was a bolder pick to make in the first round than Khaira was in the third round imo (Jankowski was ranked 43rd by CS and the Flames took him at 21), but Jankowski was more on the radar of other NHL teams than Khaira, who was playing a little more out of the way during his draft year, playing for Prince George in the BCHL. The Flames obviously really wanted him, and I think he'll pan out for them. Feaster knew Jankowski was a project that they'd have to wait for, but the kid has undeniable skills. Personally, I like it when teams do the unexpected. It doesn't always work out, as we Oil fans know. Of the two, Khaira is closer to being NHL ready size-wise than Jankowski, but Jankowski apparently has some fantastic tools and good on-ice vision. Both players will be a bit of a wait, however. Khaira brings sandpaper to Jankowski's slick. It'll be fun to watch how these two develop.

difference is though, that Jankowski is a much bigger gamble at #21, being your team's 1st rounder, than Kahaira is at #63 in the 3rd round.

oilers2k10

Yak Don't Back Down
Mar 18, 2010
Don't get the notion of Lindholm being the "small c" he's 6 feet and got grit, would likely come to camp this fall at close to 200 lbs.

because in Oily land, if you aren't at least 6'2" and 200, you are considered small. seems Oiler fans, and rightfully so, have had their fill of "small" players in this organization like Gagner, Cogliano, Nilsson, O'Sullivan, Reddox, Bergeron, Grebeshkov, Vishnovsky, Brule, Chorney, Schremp, Omark....
One of these is not like the other

Last edited by a moderator:

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I picked Nurse over Nichushkin.

>_<

I know it's not ideal, but I don't like how the Oilers seem to handle the development of European players. We keep them overseas for too long, where they learn to ply their trade on international ice, develop bad habits that won't work on smaller surfaces.

They then get shell shocked at training camp, where they have to re-learn to ply their trade on a smaller ice surface.

Fast Forward to Hartikainnen/Omark/Lander/MPS/Klefbom and we're left with a crew of guys that aren't quite NHL ready, but require more AHL seasoning, undershooting what we expected of them on draft day.

With a player like Nurse, I imagine his development will be very linear. Sent back to Jr as an over-age, win gold at the World Juniors, work out his kinks in the AHL for a season or two, spend a final year being a top pairing in the AHL with spot duty in the NHL on callup, then ready to win the Calder as a 23 year old.

I don't think underperforming and stunted development of prospects is limited to overseas European players.

Pitlick, Martindale, Hamilton are a few examples of NA prospects who have been underwhelming so far as well. You can possibly throw in dmen like Teubert and Plante in there as well.

At some point though it does come down to the talent level and actual skills of the players involved. Definitely the ability of the management and coaching to properly develop the prospects is a major factor... but actually drafting (and/or acquiring) the players with legitimate talent that can translate at the NHL level is also obviously a major factor that's becoming apparent has very likely been lacking in Edmonton as well.

SLURVE

Oct 20, 2011
If the Oilers are going to trade down to 13th-16th or thereabouts, I would take Kerby Rychel (6'1", 205 lbs) before I take Lazar. Rychel is the tougher, bigger and grittier center that has scored 40 and 41 goals in his last two OHL seasons. Is this not what the Oilers need?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
If the Oilers are going to trade down to 13th-16th or thereabouts, I would take Kerby Rychel (6'1", 205 lbs) before I take Lazar. Rychel is the tougher, bigger and grittier center that has scored 40 and 41 goals in his last two OHL seasons. Is this not what the Oilers need?

Rychel isn't tougher or grittier...or a center though.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
I picked Nurse over Nichushkin.

>_<

I know it's not ideal, but I don't like how the Oilers seem to handle the development of European players. We keep them overseas for too long, where they learn to ply their trade on international ice, develop bad habits that won't work on smaller surfaces.

They then get shell shocked at training camp, where they have to re-learn to ply their trade on a smaller ice surface.

Fast Forward to Hartikainnen/Omark/Lander/MPS/Klefbom and we're left with a crew of guys that aren't quite NHL ready, but require more AHL seasoning, undershooting what we expected of them on draft day.

With a player like Nurse, I imagine his development will be very linear. Sent back to Jr as an over-age, win gold at the World Juniors, work out his kinks in the AHL for a season or two, spend a final year being a top pairing in the AHL with spot duty in the NHL on callup, then ready to win the Calder as a 23 year old.

Totally disagree, if anything MPS and Lander came over too soon, they should have let them turn into consistent scorers in the SEL before getting them over here. The SEL seems to be better than the AHL route for swedish forwards and the CHL route has thus far pretty much only worked for Landeskog who is a really unique character.
Omark probably would have benefitted from coming over a year before instead of headin to the KHL but that was his own choice, one of many bad career choices he's made.
I also think Harti would have benefitted from staying in the FEL and work on his skating and hands on the big surface before turning to the AHL.
Klefbom is too soon to tell but unless his injury set him back I think by the halfway point of next season he'll turm J.Schultz into an all star.

The need to adjust to the smaller surface is overrated, I think it's better to let european players develop at home and have them come over close to NHL ready or when they've hit the ceiling back home. Silfverberg is a great example.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
I'm not so concerned who the Oilers pick if Monahan and Lindholm have been picked already. My concern is that the Oilers would pick someone else if they are still available.

SLURVE

Oct 20, 2011
Rychel isn't tougher or grittier...or a center though.

"Kerby has his father’s frame, at 6-foot-1, 200 pounds, but has better hands and vision. He has a knack for scoring, beating the highly ranked London Knights for three goals in a game last month, and he also has a knack for violence, getting thrown out of a game last weekend for hitting from behind. Sean Fitz-Gerald | 12/03/02 | Last Updated: 12/03/01 10:52 PM ET National Post

Kerby has 94 minutes of pim this year. That is alot of penalties for being not tough or gritty.

Some sites has him as center whereas others as LW. He could have played both positions...

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
"Kerby has his father’s frame, at 6-foot-1, 200 pounds, but has better hands and vision. He has a knack for scoring, beating the highly ranked London Knights for three goals in a game last month, and he also has a knack for violence, getting thrown out of a game last weekend for hitting from behind. Sean Fitz-Gerald | 12/03/02 | Last Updated: 12/03/01 10:52 PM ET National Post

Kerby has 94 minutes of pim this year. That is alot of penalties for being not tough or gritty.

Some sites has him as center whereas others as LW. He could have played both positions...

Being less gritty/tough than Lazar doesn't make him "not tough or gritty".

And he's only ever played wing in the OHL.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I would not be opposed to moving the 7th overall pick for an NHL player that can help now and a pick in the 10-15th range (pick Lazar there).

SLURVE

Oct 20, 2011
Being less gritty/tough than Lazar doesn't make him "not tough or gritty".And he's only ever played wing in the OHL.

I think your point is mixed up with the above sentence. The accounts from scouts, and one cannot forget Rychel pims at 94 min. (one of the highest in OHL) DOES make him a rugged, grittier player than Lazar. I have watched Lazar played and he does have some grit and he tries to play as such but more often than not he does not push back to the point of dropping the gloves (3 fights 2013). Rychel plays a punishing style and will drop the gloves (8 fights in 2013, 5 and 11 fights 2012,2011 years, respectively) and has scored 40 and 41 goals the last two years. Your argument that Lazar is tougher and grittier than Rychel does not hold water.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I think your point is mixed up with the above sentence. The accounts form scouts, and one cannot forget Rychel pims at 94 min. (one of the highest in OHL) DOES make him a rugged, grittier player than Lazar. I have watched Lazar played and he does have some grit and he tries to play as such but more often than not he does not push back to the point of dropping the gloves (3 fights 2013). Rychel plays a punishing style and will drop the gloves (8 fights in 2013, 5 and 11 fights 2012,2011 years, respectively) and has scored 40 and 41 goals the last two years. Your argument that Lazar is tougher and grittier than Rychel does not hold water.

Punishing and tough aren't words I would use to describe Rychel.

I'm not sure how anyone who's seen him play a couple of shifts could.

Last edited:

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
difference is though, that Jankowski is a much bigger gamble at #21, being your team's 1st rounder, than Kahaira is at #63 in the 3rd round.

Jankowski is a bit of a gamble, sure, but 21st overall selections seldom step in right away and help and a few never develop into NHL players at all. I think that there's a reasonably good shot that Jankowski plays in the NHL, that's all I'm really saying. Taking a bit of a gamble here on a project player like Jankowski with solid potential isn't the same kind of gambling, for example, as going way off the board with a top 10 pick.

And, for sure--Khaira was a great pick and clearly a steal getting him in the third round. Under different circumstances, playing in a different league, I think he would have gone considerably higher in the draft than third round, likely somewhere in the middle of the first round. Jankowski, though offensively gifted, was overlooked because of his size and was probably not on anyone's radar until a belated seven inch growth spurt. The kid is probably still adjusting to his gangly new body. Hard to say, but how he develops depends entirely on his attitude and commitment. The Flames must have really liked what they saw in him.

The draft is a bit of a crap shot after the top 10, and 21st overall players generally don't step right in and help you. It's usually a player that you have to wait on, as the following list of 21st overall selections (from Hockey's Database) will attest to this:

2012 Mark Jankowski 0 NHL games
2011 Stefan Noesen 0 NHL games
2010 Riley Sheahan 1 NHL game
2009 John Moore 86 NHL games
2008 Anton Gustafsson 0 NHL games
2007 Riley Nash 5 NHL games
2006 Bob Sanguinetti 8 NHL games
2005 Tuukka Rask 102 NHL games
2004 Wojtek Wolski 424 NHL games
2003 Mark Stuart 428 NHL games
2002 Anton Babchuk 289 NHL games

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
Thanks for the Participation guys, very close poll but with 42.78%

The Edmonton Oilers select Valeri Nichushkin

If he's truly interested in playing in N. America, Nichushkin offers some of the size and physical play sorely needed in the line up.

SLURVE

Oct 20, 2011
Punishing and tough aren't words I would use to describe Rychel.

I'm not sure how anyone who's seen him play a couple of shifts could.
You ignore facts to make an argument...wow. Reminds me of this comic strip, a guy sitting in a second story apartment located in a town not far from a glacier. His ankles are covered with flood water and he is typing a blog that reads "Global Warming is a Myth"

Starscream

May 11, 2004
Riverview NB
Don't feel the Oilers can afford to wait yet another year or two and see if a kid rounds into form. Oilers need to move up into that 4th spot and nab Barkov.

J.Shultz,Nurse,Klefbom and Marincin on the blueline by years end would be unstable to say the least. Barkov or bust as far as i'm concerned.

I'm probably the only one on here that thinks this way, but if were trading up I want MacKinnon. To me MacKinnon is a right handed Center version of Taylor Hall

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
I hope that EDM moves up in the draft to get Monahan. I think CAR would be willing to trade. CGY really wants Barkov so they would have to move up to NAS's spot but I can't see NAS trading down as they really need skill up front.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
You ignore facts to make an argument...wow. Reminds me of this comic strip, a guy sitting in a second story apartment located in a town not far from a glacier. His ankles are covered with flood water and he is typing a blog that reads "Global Warming is a Myth"

PIMs and a quote from a blogger are "facts" of grit and toughness?...

SLURVE

Oct 20, 2011
PIMs and a quote from a blogger are "facts" of grit and toughness?...
Umm...24 fights in 3 years of Junior, 94 pims last year, scouts described him as gritty and tough using his size to battle (6'1", 205 lbs) should be good enough to fit in the category of tough and gritty for anyone except you...:shakehead

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Umm...24 fights in 3 years of Junior, 94 pims last year, scouts described him as gritty and tough using his size to battle (6'1", 205 lbs) should be good enough to fit in the category of tough and gritty for anyone except you...:shakehead

Do you know who he fought?

His fight card is akin to saying Marc Staal is tough because he fought Alex Semin.

PIMs mean nothing. Watch him play. It'll be blatantly obvious that Rychel isn't known for his "toughness". He isn't even known for bringing a consistent gritty game. It's one of the main knocks on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad