Prospect Info: HF Mock Draft 7th Overall Selection

ChefTO

Jan 13, 2010
How is that a Feasteresque move? Taking Lazar at 7 is in no way comparable to taking Jankowski at 19. Lazar is a player who has been on the top 10 radar for a while now and is a proven performer at the highest of Junior levels while Jankowski was all potential with absolutely no proven background.
Now, Lazar would be a bit of a reach at 7 for sure but it's not THAT outlandish. He's borderline top 10 on several lists and some of Bobby Mac's polled scouts had him in the top 10. I'm sure that he'll continue to climb as he performs well against top competition like Seth Jones.

Also the fact that he's everything we need in a player and currently don't have.
I would prefer that they trade back a bit if Lindholm and Monahan are gone, try to gain an asset and take Lazar at around 10 or 11 but taking him at 7 is in no way a Feasteresque reach.
I'm not so keen on Nichushkin. I'm not a fan of players who lack hockey sense and don't utilize their teammates. His physical gifts are immense and we could use a physical force like him in the top 6 but i think we need real "hockey players" like Monahan and Lazar, guys who are real pros and who are jacks of all trades. Those are the guys that you win cups with.

Well said,

I'd like to trade down if Monahan is gone... or somehow acquire an extra pick to grab Lazar...

Brewster

Mar 20, 2012
Canada
I REALLY want Lindholm or Monahan. Hopefully Calgary goes off the board and takes a Shinkaruk or a Domi.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Yeah, what Lacaar said. "Hockey IQ" is highly subjective. You can't judge someone on that through hearsay. Case in point, Hall. People around here think he has a low hockey sense/hockey IQ (but that slowly seems to be changing).

The stuff I know about Nichushkin is that he's got good speed, drives the net, has size and uses it to his advantage. I don't know if he has a good shot or slick hands, though.

Rick Nash has sweet hands and Iginla has a great shot. Finishing ability is very important with the type of player Nichushkin is. Although, I will say, I wouldn't be too disappointed if he ended up as an "always-on" Dustin Penner.

I agree with this. If he's a guy like Yakupov or Hall who just goes every shift, I'd be thrilled. And I believe he is, because the one thing I remember about Russia at the World Jrs is that any time he was on the ice, you could tell instantly. Always going.

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
How is that a Feasteresque move? Taking Lazar at 7 is in no way comparable to taking Jankowski at 19. Lazar is a player who has been on the top 10 radar for a while now and is a proven performer at the highest of Junior levels while Jankowski was all potential with absolutely no proven background.
Now, Lazar would be a bit of a reach at 7 for sure but it's not THAT outlandish. He's borderline top 10 on several lists and some of Bobby Mac's polled scouts had him in the top 10. I'm sure that he'll continue to climb as he performs well against top competition like Seth Jones.

Also the fact that he's everything we need in a player and currently don't have.
I would prefer that they trade back a bit if Lindholm and Monahan are gone, try to gain an asset and take Lazar at around 10 or 11 but taking him at 7 is in no way a Feasteresque reach.
I'm not so keen on Nichushkin. I'm not a fan of players who lack hockey sense and don't utilize their teammates. His physical gifts are immense and we could use a physical force like him in the top 6 but i think we need real "hockey players" like Monahan and Lazar, guys who are real pros and who are jacks of all trades. Those are the guys that you win cups with.

Feaster took some heat for going off the board for the pick, but Mark Jankowski might become a pretty sweet pick for the Flames. He's going to take some time, as he's a 6'3, 170 lbs centre, but he had a reasonably good year in the NCAA, as the league's youngest player.

zeus3007*

I don't really want Nichushkin, for a number of reasons. He has two more seasons in the KHL, which isn't ideal. He is a winger, which is our surplus. I know his upside is huge, but I'd rather use that high of a pick on a defenseman. Big, top line d-men aren't easy to come by and both Nurse and Ristolainen look like they will become exactly that.

zeus3007*

Nichushkin's progression throughout the year was huge. In the playoffs he finished with 1 more goal and only 2 fewer points than Kuznetsov who has had 2 more developmental seasons since his draft. Point being, Nichushkin kept moving up the depth chart everywhere he played this season. To be a draft eligible player and having a go to role on a strong KHL team in the playoffs is a testament to this kid's development this season.

I have no idea why people think there are concerns with taking the kid. I think its a good thing if he plays out his KHL contract. People are delusional if they think any guy we take at 7 will make any type of impact within the next 2 years. This guy has Malkin type upside, with a Malkin-esque frame and the same development path it appears.
Wasn't Jeff Skinner a number 7 pick? Its not impossible to find a guy who is NHL ready at number 7.

zeus3007*

His name is Nichushkin and he's NHL ready... Just not yet.

What does that even mean? He's either NHL ready or he's not.

That said, I've heard a lot scouts think Nichushkin IS NHL ready, but he has 2 more years before he can come here.

Oct 15, 2008
Feaster took some heat for going off the board for the pick, but Mark Jankowski might become a pretty sweet pick for the Flames. He's going to take some time, as he's a 6'3, 170 lbs centre, but he had a reasonably good year in the NCAA, as the league's youngest player.

Jujhar Khaira had a better year, 6'3" 195lbs (same birth year).

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Don't get the notion of Lindholm being the "small c" he's 6 feet and got grit, would likely come to camp this fall at close to 200 lbs. He's the most forsbergesque player I've seen since the original with the combo of playmaking ability, grit and compete level. He's also a more balanced in his defensive game than Forsberg at the same age, although he's way behind Peter in pure stickhandling skill. At 7th overall I'd take Elias and run. Leave him a year in the SEL and watch him hit the NHL running in 14/15.

Lindholm might very well turn out the best of the bunch outside of Jones. And 1-2 of RNH and Elias would certainly not be too soft and defensively weak imo.

He'll likely be gone at 7th but if he's still there we'd be foolish not to grab him.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
Don't get the notion of Lindholm being the "small c" he's 6 feet and got grit, would likely come to camp this fall at close to 200 lbs. He's the most forsbergesque player I've seen since the original with the combo of playmaking ability, grit and compete level. He's also a more balanced in his defensive game than Forsberg at the same age, although he's way behind Peter in pure stickhandling skill. At 7th overall I'd take Elias and run. Leave him a year in the SEL and watch him hit the NHL running in 14/15.

Lindholm might very well turn out the best of the bunch outside of Jones. And 1-2 of RNH and Elias would certainly not be too soft and defensively weak imo.

He'll likely be gone at 7th but if he's still there we'd be foolish not to grab him.

Pretty easy scenario for MacT

Monahan is probably the best fit. Lindholm is probably the best player. Whichever is on the board at the time the Oilers draft - assuming one of them is - that's the guy you take.

Jones
McKinnon
Drouin
Barkov
Lindholm
Monahan

This is the only scenario where the Oilers get shafted IMO - sadly, based on the teams picking it could very well happen. I could see Carolina going with Lindholm and moving E. Staal to RW permanently in a couple of seasons.

They would then need to look closely at Nurse, Nichushkin, or trading down and adding an asset (only a strong one like an early 3rd rounder or 2nd next year) - then draft someone Lazar in the 10-14 range. Lazar is still a good fit as a gritty forward along the lines of Dustin Brown (if he plays wing in the NHL). Nothing wrong with that at all.

For cap reasons, the Hurricanes may need to look at trading Skinner, as crazy as that seems. A lot of teams would take him and his ticket.

With E. Staal at 8.25M, Semin at 7M, J. Staal at 6M and Skinner at 5.725M, something has to give. Tlusty also appears to be able to score now and his contract is up after next season.

I could easily see something like Skinner for Edler this offseason.

Topkatz

Jul 23, 2010
My selection list based on those picks would be

1. Nurse - has all the qualities of what we need more of on the team and has big upside. well within his reach to be a top 2 defenceman with number 1 potential if he keeps progressing like he has been.

2. Nichushkin - has the wow factor. size, skill, and speed. all teams could use a player like him. could be an impact player eventually but a risk and other question marks are there like how much scoring he has acctually got in his locker. really not sure whether MacT and the scouting staff use the pick on him with the other players on the board.

3. Zadorov/ Ristolainen- I think both these guys will be good players in the NHL but i'm not convinced that they have the same type of upside as Nurse or Nichuskin. Zadorov interests me slightly more because he excels in an area (the physical game) but Risto is no slouch there either and both are generally good all around defencemen with potential ranging from number 2-4 defencemen. it all depends on how they adapt to the nhl but Risto may prove to be the safer pick since he is already playing and producing with men. time will tell.

Somewhere between 5-.10 Lazar. - meh. boring pick but it would fill a need. still take Frederik Gauthier before him. really hope we don't use a high pick like the one we have on Lazar.

Last edited:

Lewy

May 26, 2011
If the Oilers don't find a dance partner before draft day and Monahan and Lindholm are both gone (Presumably, they will be), I bet they take Lazar at 7.

Lewy

May 26, 2011
And only 1 month older than Jankowski, he played center at Michigan Tech too

Will be interesting prospect to follow

Has anyone seen this kid play live? I honestly have no Idea what the Oil have here. Nice stats for a Freshman though.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I think if Monahan or Lindholm are gone by #7, they trade down or trade the pick completely

-Nichushkin is too much of a risk, playing in the KHL for the next 2 years
-the Oilers never pick d-men this high and they are risky

if the Oilers trade down to 10-15, you can bet they take Lazar...I'd actually prefer if they did trade down...this is a deep draft and you may as well get some more picks

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I think if Monahan or Lindholm are gone by #7, they trade down or trade the pick completely

-Nichushkin is too much of a risk, playing in the KHL for the next 2 years
-the Oilers never pick d-men this high and they are risky

if the Oilers trade down to 10-15, you can bet they take Lazar...I'd actually prefer if they did trade down...this is a deep draft and you may as well get some more picks

I would bet they take Nurse. Based on what Stu said on the radio with Nurse being up there with the top 6 players he certainly feels he has the talent. I don't think we can say the Oilers don't take Dmen this high, as we haven't seen the situation where that would be possible. They did take Klefbom 19th in 2011, however that's the only time it's been reasonable to select a Dman. Rumours were they were going to select Murray last year however they went with BPA. Every other year it's been a gimme apart from 2007 when they chose Gagner over Voracek.

Point is, I don't think the oilers have any internal rule about drafting Dmen high. I just think that they haven't been in the position yet where they think a defenceman is the best player available, which may very well be the case this June.

nando2392

Apr 26, 2013
I think we should get a late first round D-man. Morrissey is a hell of a player and is drafted high in the first

Moneypuck

Aug 12, 2009
Don't feel the Oilers can afford to wait yet another year or two and see if a kid rounds into form. Oilers need to move up into that 4th spot and nab Barkov.

J.Shultz,Nurse,Klefbom and Marincin on the blueline by years end would be unstable to say the least. Barkov or bust as far as i'm concerned.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I'll be utterly shocked if the Oilers do not trade the pick or trade down in this draft but they will only traded down if they get player not extra picks.

The new GM wants to make changes and that pick is the #1 resource we have when you look at what else he might have for trade ammo.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I picked Nurse over Nichushkin.

>_<

I know it's not ideal, but I don't like how the Oilers seem to handle the development of European players. We keep them overseas for too long, where they learn to ply their trade on international ice, develop bad habits that won't work on smaller surfaces.

They then get shell shocked at training camp, where they have to re-learn to ply their trade on a smaller ice surface.

Fast Forward to Hartikainnen/Omark/Lander/MPS/Klefbom and we're left with a crew of guys that aren't quite NHL ready, but require more AHL seasoning, undershooting what we expected of them on draft day.

With a player like Nurse, I imagine his development will be very linear. Sent back to Jr as an over-age, win gold at the World Juniors, work out his kinks in the AHL for a season or two, spend a final year being a top pairing in the AHL with spot duty in the NHL on callup, then ready to win the Calder as a 23 year old.

Last edited:

oilers2k10

Yak Don't Back Down
Mar 18, 2010
First year in four where I can just sit back and enjoy the draft..as long as they dont do somethin stupid like trade out of the top 10.

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
Jujhar Khaira had a better year, 6'3" 195lbs (same birth year).

I'm not a fan of Feaster at all, but I like both picks, the Jankowski and the Khaira pick, the Khaira one more. I get all James Brown, whenever I think about it. Both kids were sleepers. Jankowski was a bolder pick to make in the first round than Khaira was in the third round imo (Jankowski was ranked 43rd by CS and the Flames took him at 21), but Jankowski was more on the radar of other NHL teams than Khaira, who was playing a little more out of the way during his draft year, playing for Prince George in the BCHL. The Flames obviously really wanted him, and I think he'll pan out for them. Feaster knew Jankowski was a project that they'd have to wait for, but the kid has undeniable skills. Personally, I like it when teams do the unexpected. It doesn't always work out, as we Oil fans know. Of the two, Khaira is closer to being NHL ready size-wise than Jankowski, but Jankowski apparently has some fantastic tools and good on-ice vision. Both players will be a bit of a wait, however. Khaira brings sandpaper to Jankowski's slick. It'll be fun to watch how these two develop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad