OT: HF Jets Lounge: We Like King Tut Because He's So Damn Fly

Status
Not open for further replies.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Any basketball fans want to explain what this Brooklyn tanking to play the Raptors was about? Is it just a conspiracy theory, so to speak, or is that actually what happened?

Not a big basketball fan and if I do watch I cheer for the Celtics so I'm not a Raptors expert but I think basically Raptors are seen as an easier opponent in the playoffs because they've been terrible for so many years. They're the 3rd seed I believe so some people think facing them as a 6th seed is an easy route. I believe it's true that it happened because basketball is easier to tank than hockey since basketball you just have to sit your starters (I believe Brooklyn did) in the last few games so that their bench would not win them games. However, I think a few "experts" (Charles Barkley at the very least) think that's not a good idea and that the Raps are better than people are expecting them to be.

TL;DR - Yes, they actually tried to tank since you can bench your starters so that you won't win games to play a team some think would be an easier opponent.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Not a big basketball fan and if I do watch I cheer for the Celtics so I'm not a Raptors expert but I think basically Raptors are seen as an easier opponent in the playoffs because they've been terrible for so many years. They're the 3rd seed I believe so some people think facing them as a 6th seed is an easy route. I believe it's true that it happened because basketball is easier to tank than hockey since basketball you just have to sit your starters (I believe Brooklyn did) in the last few games so that their bench would not win them games. However, I think a few "experts" (Charles Barkley at the very least) think that's not a good idea and that the Raps are better than people are expecting them to be.

TL;DR - Yes, they actually tried to tank since you can bench your starters so that you won't win games to play a team some think would be an easier opponent.

Ah, alright. I wasn't sure if they just went on a losing streak or if they actually sat their top players.

I can see why you do it though. If the Jets would of won 2 games vs Washington last year :)cry:) and won the division, I know most teams would rather have played us than the 4th seed.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Ah, alright. I wasn't sure if they just went on a losing streak or if they actually sat their top players.

I can see why you do it though. If the Jets would of won 2 games vs Washington last year :)cry:) and won the division, I know most teams would rather have played us than the 4th seed.

Yep same exact thing. Except the 4th line scrubs can occasionally win a team games :laugh:

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Weighing the pros and cons of following Garret on twitter...
I mean he's interesting, but I'm fairly certain he's never gone more than 11 minutes without tweeting.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

Yeah, although it would kind of be like Washington hoping to play against us. Brooklynn is in the same division as Toronto and lost the division to them, so it's not like Brooklynn are any kind of world beaters.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I mean he's interesting, but I'm fairly certain he's never gone more than 11 minutes without tweeting.

I follow him - some good tweets and arguments. I had to take him off my SMS notifications though - between annoying the wife and the cats with the alert noises, he was also running my phone battery down. :sarcasm:

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?

http://www.tweetstats.com/graphs/garrethohl

TweetStats for garrethohl (Tweet This!)
Last updated 18 Apr 2014 at 17:11

Your Tweet Timeline - 129.5 tweets per day (tpd) / 1619 tweets per month (tpm)

129.5 lets say ~8 hours of sleep per day, so that leaves us with 16 hours of potential tweeting time

129.5/16 = 8.1 tweets per hour

60 minutes in an hour, so take 8.1/60 and it gives us an average of........

@garrethohl tweets every 7.4 minutes of potential tweeting time

Since its Garret, we need graphs, right?

Jb4eyNx.png

So mondays at 2pm is the most likely hour of Garret Tweeting

KAPOW

Last edited:

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Here's a look into the past. Nerds in 1983 use a BBS to discuss Star Wars.

http://www.platypuscomix.net/hollywood/phreakout.html

I dunno how accurate or real that is:

May 18 1983, 1:12 am
The rumour has it that TESB will show up in videotape this fall.
Once it does this, I plan to rent it and Part 4:ANH. Then show them
both and have everybody trek down to whatever cinema is running ROTJ
at the time.

I'd have to look, but I'm pretty damn sure us Star Wars nerds have never willingly used ANH to refer to Star Wars. That's a Lucas revision and I'm pretty sure it wasn't in place anywhere near 1983.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada

129.5 lets say ~8 hours of sleep per day, so that leaves us with 16 hours of potential tweeting time

Jb4eyNx.png

KAPOW

Amazing :handclap: I hope Vito Correlationi accepts this offering of statistics.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg

Jb4eyNx.png

KAPOW

You're my hero.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

It's weird. I follow him and I only see the occasional tweet. I think it's because I follow a lot of media people and we LOOOOOOVE to talk about ourselves.

I got Twitter pretty much when it came out but thought it was dumb and didn't really use it till maybe the last 4? years and I have nearly 14K tweets. I'd estimate about 2 dozen are any good :)

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
It's weird. I follow him and I only see the occasional tweet. I think it's because I follow a lot of media people and we LOOOOOOVE to talk about ourselves.

I got Twitter pretty much when it came out but thought it was dumb and didn't really use it till maybe the last 4? years and I have nearly 14K tweets. I'd estimate about 2 dozen are any good :)

I finally hopped on the Twitter bandwagon late last off-season because I wanted to get more direct info from media personalities and NHL news. I'll tweet occasionally, but I never talk about myself. I'm fiercely protective of my personal space and privacy, which is why the only social media platform I'm on is Twitter. You can sign up in complete anonymity, and I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad