OT: HF Jets Lounge: We Like King Tut Because He's So Damn Fly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
To me, Harry Potter did not age well. I liked those books growing up, now can't stand them. Pokemon? Love it. Lord of the Rings? Awesome, awesome. But Harry Potter? Of my 10-14 year old stuff it stands out as crappy to me.

Yeah, when he was young... trying to pick up girls in the forest all nerdily was cute. Now, as a 25 year old alcoholic, not so cute.

PS I've never seen it or read the books haha.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
To me, Harry Potter did not age well. I liked those books growing up, now can't stand them. Pokemon? Love it. Lord of the Rings? Awesome, awesome. But Harry Potter? Of my 10-14 year old stuff it stands out as crappy to me.

Harry Potter was basically my youth when it came to reading. It was the first big book I read on my own (I was 7), and the first big English book I read on my own (Order of the Phoenix, I was 11). I read the sixth book approximately 500 million times.

To me, the world that JK Rowling created has so much more to give. She wasn't the greatest writer, the characters were sometimes lacking, and that ending...

BUT. She created a world that really shouldn't have ended with the 7th book. It has so many more stories to tell.

What was it like at Hogwarts normally?

What about the Marauders? What really happened in their youth?

What was the first war with Voldemort like?

Why did Harry not realize that the names he gave his kids are idiotic? Will my oldest son, who I'm gonna name Sirius because of all the set ups that name will give me, be ridiculed?

What happened to all the kids that failed their exams and were thrown out? The first book actually states that the Dunderheads were thrown out if they failed their exams in the first year.

It's been 7 years since the last book was released. If I found out that another one was to be released, you can bet that I would clobber people left and right to be first in line to buy a new book.

There is no other thing I've encountered in my life that have left me wanting more, as much as that book series did.

The first four books are still gold to me. Especially the third, it has such a great creepy vibe to it. Plus Sirius ended up becoming on of my favourite characters.

Last few books completely unraveled, the pacing was bad, Voldemort just turned into the wizard version of Hitler in so many ways it just looked like lazy writing. Rowling was somewhat pressured to get these books out on a certain timeline and I think that's what ruined it. It's one of the reasons I really like George R.R. Martin, he just says **** it you can read the book when it's done.

I disagree. Not about the fact that she rushed the books, just that the later books are my favorites. It was annoying to read about teenagers making mistakes and being idiots. But that's teenagers for you. In the first books, Harry was just kind of a Dunderhead who stumbled unto things and saved situations due to being a goody two shoes. That began to change in the third book, and things got a lot better from there.

The fifth and sixth books are my favorites. Those are the books that really set up possibilities for more stories. While the third book touched on the Marauders, the fifth book cemented that there was more to be told. Without the sixth book, Voldemort was just an *******.

I liked 6, really not a fan of seven. God that ending

That ending...

I never read or saw Harry Potter :amazed:

Am I a bad boy now?

Gotta love that nascar car :laugh:

Leave it to the German...

We're listening to Harry Potter audio books our entire road trip.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
A lot of people think that Harry defeating Voldemort with the power of love is ridiculous, and just a cheap cop out. But IMO, that's part of the magic. If she begins to try to explain exactly how it works, it's just a matter of time before we find out that Harry is just exploding with midi-chlorians.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
A lot of people think that Harry defeating Voldemort with the power of love is ridiculous, and just a cheap cop out. But IMO, that's part of the magic. If she begins to try to explain exactly how it works, it's just a matter of time before we find out that Harry is just exploding with midi-chlorians.

Death knell for a franchise right there. :pout:

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Here's a statement with no chance of looking silly any time soon.

:sarcasm:

It helps that Orpik isn't playing. He's terrible. The Pens are playing very well in front of him and it's boosted his confidence. His confidence then in turn boosts the teams confidence.

Also: Tanner ****ing Glass is a healthy scratch which also helps. Useless tit he is.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
It helps that Orpik isn't playing. He's terrible. The Pens are playing very well in front of him and it's boosted his confidence. His confidence then in turn boosts the teams confidence.

Right. Until next time is rains on a Tuesday and his (rational) fear of pucks returns :laugh:.

I like the Pens, I'd like to see them go far, I just haven't seen a non-ironic "MAF *****es" in a long time.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Right. Until next time is rains on a Tuesday and his (rational) fear of pucks returns :laugh:.

I like the Pens, I'd like to see them go far, I just haven't seen a non-ironic "MAF *****es" in a long time.

Or Brooks Orpik returns. MAF hasn't played this good in the playoffs since 2009.

I would have added :yo: but was on my phone and couldn't remember the name of the emoticon.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
:handclap:

It was a boring ass game though.

Here's a tip that will get many laughs: It's always funny when someone says something of the form "_______ ass _______" to add a hyphen between ass and the last word.

"It was a boring ass-game though."

"That's a big ass-fan."

:laugh:

I'm a 22 year old child. :help:

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Here's a tip that will get many laughs: It's always funny when someone says something of the form "_______ ass _______" to add a hyphen between ass and the last word.

"It was a boring ass-game though."

"That's a big ass-fan."

:laugh:

I'm a 22 year old child. :help:

I'm 22 as well. I recently reverted back into a Harry Potter stage.

I think I've got you beat there!

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Question -- does anyone have a copy handy of the gif of David Tennant standing in the rain with the MTS Center edited into the background?

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
I'm 22 as well. I recently reverted back into a Harry Potter stage.

I think I've got you beat there!

I'm 29 and regularly visit pottermore. We all have things like that. Still read teen books. Sometimes you just need an easy read. Also need a guy that actually wants me too but not the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad