Speculation: HF Hawks fan pulse: Fire JC?

Fire JC

• Total voters

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Chris Boden (Hawks radio pre and postgame host) on today’s podcast:

“They admitted they have made some tweaks since that San Jose game. Both in terms of being, trying to more consistently carry the puck out of their zone...and... rather than dump it in as frequently as they had been. Because they hadn’t been winning many of those battles or races when they dumped it in, they hadn’t put it in the right spots. And they’ve also made a couple of tweaks defensively, where it’s not so much a strict man-to-man, falling back into zone.”

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
Chris Boden (Hawks radio pre and postgame host) on today’s podcast:

“They admitted they have made some tweaks since that San Jose game. Both in terms of being, trying to more consistently carry the puck out of their zone...and... rather than dump it in as frequently as they had been. Because they hadn’t been winning many of those battles or races when they dumped it in, they hadn’t put it in the right spots. And they’ve also made a couple of tweaks defensively, where it’s not so much a strict man-to-man, falling back into zone.
love to hear this..coach to your players strengths.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Props to JC for adapting to the team he has and not trying to force them to play a different game anymore. A lot of coaches get fired because they are too stubborn to change things up when things aren't working. Time will tell and I'll gladly admit I was wrong if he can get this team back to the playoffs.

Fire Stan Bowman

May 28, 2019
still waiting for us to win a game when kane doesnt get on the score sheet. i know your stars lead the team but when kane doesnt have a big game we look like dick

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
So it was mostly our systems that had the whole team so constipated. I was convinced it was personnel but clearly I was wrong (not ignoring some effort issues and bad forms from Toews, Seabrook etc).

I agree with the above, really good job by JC and co to adjust it back, just like they did last year after those horrible games to begin his tenure. Always good to have a coach that can do this, it means he is a good coach.

I do wonder if this caps our rosters potential though. If we can only play one way, does that mean we can't adjust down the line to other teams in the playoffs for example?

Anyway the way JC talked about the changes it sounds like they still didn't put everything together. Ideally our defense can improve and our offense stays hot. I hope the team continues to improve and gets it complete by the second half of the season.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
So it was mostly our systems that had the whole team so constipated. I was convinced it was personnel but clearly I was wrong (not ignoring some effort issues and bad forms from Toews, Seabrook etc).

I agree with the above, really good job by JC and co to adjust it back, just like they did last year after those horrible games to begin his tenure. Always good to have a coach that can do this, it means he is a good coach.

I do wonder if this caps our rosters potential though. If we can only play one way, does that mean we can't adjust down the line to other teams in the playoffs for example?

Anyway the way JC talked about the changes it sounds like they still didn't put everything together. Ideally our defense can improve and our offense stays hot. I hope the team continues to improve and gets it complete by the second half of the season.

Ya, I’d say 57 shots tells you they didn’t put it all together. But at least this team hasn’t looked like it forgot how to generate offense in three games now.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Props to JC for adapting to the team he has and not trying to force them to play a different game anymore. A lot of coaches get fired because they are too stubborn to change things up when things aren't working. Time will tell and I'll gladly admit I was wrong if he can get this team back to the playoffs.

I don’t know if we were necessarily wrong in saying what he was doing was not working. But maybe we were wrong for saying (if someone said it) he was incapable of fixing it or adapting.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Systems have zero to do with stinky faceoff losses in the d-zone and especialky o n the pk...lose possession off tge drawand Hawks fail to re-gain possession...chase and tire or miss coverage because they cannot keep up with their checks and loose races and board battles...non of this has znythu g to do with systems...it is all personnel failing to do the job....

Systems has nothing to do with Seabrook not being able to keep up and firing by every third period as we blow leads ..

Systems have nothing to do with some of the worst checking and non-physical stick checks that fail to get us the pick back because we cannot separate puck carriers from the puck.

Systems have nothing g to do with late checks as our guys react way too slow to the opps parked at our net...how many times have Toews and Saad watched from behind (as they face our net se real steps behind their checks who have left theft easily to get to our net?

This is not systems...lacking hustlecand wNtvin checking is the reL problem especialky in our forwards who do not give what is required for successful defense in our own zone.

JC cannot fix this...need better defensi eve players...simple as that.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
The fire Colliton chants are dwindling now that we won a few games. Lets wee what happens after the next two games at Vegas and Nashville. If they get spanked both games my guess is the chants will pick up again.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Systems have zero to do with stinky faceoff losses in the d-zone and especialky o n the pk...lose possession off tge drawand Hawks fail to re-gain possession...chase and tire or miss coverage because they cannot keep up with their checks and loose races and board battles...non of this has znythu g to do with systems...it is all personnel failing to do the job....

Systems has nothing to do with Seabrook not being able to keep up and firing by every third period as we blow leads ..

Systems have nothing to do with some of the worst checking and non-physical stick checks that fail to get us the pick back because we cannot separate puck carriers from the puck.

Systems have nothing g to do with late checks as our guys react way too slow to the opps parked at our net...how many times have Toews and Saad watched from behind (as they face our net se real steps behind their checks who have left theft easily to get to our net?

This is not systems...lacking hustlecand wNtvin checking is the reL problem especialky in our forwards who do not give what is required for successful defense in our own zone.

JC cannot fix this...need better defensi eve players...simple as that.

It is part of the coaching staff's job to instill a lot of what you are saying is wrong. If the players can't do it then it's up to the GM to do some major reshuffling and bring in the guys who are willing and able.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
The fire Colliton chants are dwindling now that we won a few games. Lets wee what happens after the next two games at Vegas and Nashville. If they get spanked both games my guess is the chants will pick up again.

Which is kind of funny to me. Last nights game could easily have been a Leafs win, even a blow-out... yet some act like Hawks have turned some imaginery corner. That's a helluva stretch ..... brought on because Hawks potted 4 goals in a period then hung on for dear life.

Reactions: Salvaged Ship

LDF

Sep 28, 2016

Anyway the way JC talked about the changes it sounds like they still didn't put everything together
. Ideally our defense can improve and our offense stays hot. I hope the team continues to improve and gets it complete by the second half of the season.

the thing is, a good coach, a great coach will always tweak his overall game plan/system plan. they are never satisfied with the current results.

so this is my opinion, JC will tweak his game plan esp if he is not interfered with....... (outside influence)

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Which is kind of funny to me. Last nights game could easily have been a Leafs win, even a blow-out... yet some act like Hawks have turned some imaginery corner. That's a helluva stretch ..... brought on because Hawks potted 4 goals in a period then hung on for dear life.
i like it to loyalty the fans have for their team..... even though we have to endure the worst so far.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Shots were pretty even after 40 and one team had a good size lead for most of that time and didn't need to push.

It got ugly in the 3rd, but most of the shots Toronto were generating were coming from outside the 'house'. They didn't get a ton of quality chances and Charlie Roumeliotis (or whatever the hell his last name is) tweeted out that the Hawks had a 12-5 high danger scoring chances at even strength. So while it's never a good thing to give up 50+ shots on goal in the game, it is a bit deceiving.

In the last three games, the Hawks have beaten two good teams in Vancouver and Toronto in regulation, and made it to a shootout against a good Pens team. 5 out of 6 points. That's a positive.

There is a clear difference with the way the team has played over the last week and I honestly trust that this team has a chance every night if they stick to playing like that (and we continue to have great goaltending).

I'm just a little peeved that JC decided to try to go back to a man-on-man defense to start the year after he tried, and failed, at doing so last year. If we miss a playoff spot by a few points, I know exactly who I'm going to place the blame on. But for now, I'm just happy that it's been changed.

swerdnase

Jan 27, 2013
I'm just a little peeved that JC decided to try to go back to a man-on-man defense to start the year after he tried, and failed, at doing so last year. If we miss a playoff spot by a few points, I know exactly who I'm going to place the blame on. But for now, I'm just happy that it's been changed.

I see your point but at the same time, we improved our personnel on defense so it's not unreasonable to think that Colliton wanted to try out his preferred system with the new guys. I'm just glad, as everyone else is, that he can see and admit when something isn't working.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I see your point but at the same time, we improved our personnel on defense so it's not unreasonable to think that Colliton wanted to try out his preferred system with the new guys. I'm just glad, as everyone else is, that he can see and admit when something isn't working.
I just never thought this team would do well with a man-on-man defense. Hell, Seabrook seems like the worst type of player I could imagine when it comes to that defensive structure. Keith also struggled big time with it last year, and looked worlds better when we made the switch.

I think back to when the Blues fired Yeo last year and all of their fanbase here (HF) celebrated that Yeo's crappy man-on-man systems were going away. That's kinda what I was thinking about Colliton, but at least he eventually reversed his decison, so I guess he's better than Mike Yeo was.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
I think de Haan is a picture perfect player for this hybrid system. No coincidence his play really picked up the last few games (he was good before too but I though the last few games he played exceptionally well). For zone he has heads up smarts, a really good stick and generally good positioning and support, and for man to man he can very effectively take the body and handle any forward physically.

Just something I noticed, and him being one of my favorite guys in the league I'm still so happy each game to see him play for us.

I think Murphy, Keith and Maatta are pretty well suited too. Gus looks rejuvenated and obviously did wonders last year so offensively there is a lot of room for the guys. Bodes well for Boqvist and Mitchell.

Reactions: bwana63

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Shots were pretty even after 40 and one team had a good size lead for most of that time and didn't need to push.

It got ugly in the 3rd, but most of the shots Toronto were generating were coming from outside the 'house'. They didn't get a ton of quality chances and Charlie Roumeliotis (or whatever the hell his last name is) tweeted out that the Hawks had a 12-5 high danger scoring chances at even strength. So while it's never a good thing to give up 50+ shots on goal in the game, it is a bit deceiving.

In the last three games, the Hawks have beaten two good teams in Vancouver and Toronto in regulation, and made it to a shootout against a good Pens team. 5 out of 6 points. That's a positive.

There is a clear difference with the way the team has played over the last week and I honestly trust that this team has a chance every night if they stick to playing like that (and we continue to have great goaltending).

Yep, but I’m glad he decided to pull the plug on the failed experiment. It may be enough to spare him an in-season firing, and I really hope it’s in time to climb back into the playoff picture.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
I think de Haan is a picture perfect player for this hybrid system. No coincidence his play really picked up the last few games (he was good before too but I though the last few games he played exceptionally well). For zone he has heads up smarts, a really good stick and generally good positioning and support, and for man to man he can very effectively take the body and handle any forward physically.

Just something I noticed, and him being one of my favorite guys in the league I'm still so happy each game to see him play for us.

I think Murphy, Keith and Maatta are pretty well suited too. Gus looks rejuvenated and obviously did wonders last year so offensively there is a lot of room for the guys. Bodes well for Boqvist and Mitchell.

CDH has been VG lately. Really liking that add.

Murphy returning should help quite a bit. I know Maatta has detractors, but he's been solid so far, IMO. The big question is will Seabs be put out to pasture soon? (i.e., be relegated to #7D)

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
CDH has been VG lately. Really liking that add.

Murphy returning should help quite a bit. I know Maatta has detractors, but he's been solid so far, IMO. The big question is will Seabs be put out to pasture soon? (i.e., be relegated to #7D)

I wonder how CDH and Murphy would look as the longterm shutdown second pair with Gus or Boqvist playing next to Keith on the top pair.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Bumping this back up. Fire this clown now. I feel he’s just a f***ing clown who is doing nothing but throwing shit at the wall as he’s trying to learn on the job.

Fire him. Fire Bowman.

This franchise is becoming laughable.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Bumping this back up. Fire this clown now. I feel he’s just a ****ing clown who is doing nothing but throwing **** at the wall as he’s trying to learn on the job.

Fire him. Fire Bowman.

This franchise is becoming laughable.

Getting rid of JC and Stan ain't gonna fix this team

Reactions: d rake

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad