Speculation: HF Hawks fan pulse: Fire JC?

Fire JC

• Total voters

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I still think there's absolutely nothing to those. He was simply stating the differences, not criticizing. His play all season says to me that he's not having any issues with JC.

Okay, that's a difference in opinion. I think there is because hockey players are usually incredibly cautious with their comments, and he almost seemed to catch himself after he already said what he said.

But I don't think we need to debate that because it's how we each interpret what he said, and there's really no proving his intent one way or the other.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
I agree with that, but I'm saying the problem has been so much bigger than that, and Murphy's presence can't fix what caused the dog**** performances.

But firing the coach will solve the problem? Disagree. Too soon. If the team continues to underachieve, I'll pick up my pitchfork.

Despite major frustration, there are reasons for optimism: Lehner, Boqvist, the relegating of Seabs to #7 soon, CDH and Keith's very solid play, Carpenter, Kampf. If the big guns can get untracked...

Ooof, how did I forget my boy, Nylander.

Last edited:
Reactions: LDF

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
But firing the coach will solve the problem? Disagree. Too soon. If the team continues to underachieve, I'll pick up my pitchfork.

Despite major frustration, there are reasons for optimism: Lehner, Boqvist, the relegating of Seabs to #7 soon, CDH and Keith's very solid play, Carpenter, Kampf. If the big guns can get untracked...

Ya, I'm not saying you're wrong. I just think that whatever problems exist between Colliton and the core are not going to be easily fixed, and unfortunately, the coach is easier to change than the core guys.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I don't think he should get fired yet, but I also wouldn't be upset if he was. I do fault more than a few roster faults with this team's woes, but his line decisions and system also deserve their fair share of blame.

I still think that JC and Bowman are tied at the hip by this point. I have more faith in Bowman than JC and do think Stan should stay on, but I'm imagining that if JC goes then so goes Bowman. Moving from Q to JC was the definitive end of the previous era, so the accolades of that era no longer apply. Bowman brought JC into the organization and then promoted him immediately as the heir apparent to Q, it's either sink or swim for both in all likelihood.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I still think there's absolutely nothing to those. He was simply stating the differences, not criticizing. His play all season says to me that he's not having any issues with JC.

This is the problem with reading into what players say and why I try not to do it. Everyone comes with their own bias or preconceived notions. You can take one comment and make it seem one way or another depending on what you already believe. Was Keith taking a shot at JC? Or was he genuinely answering a question about what he liked about Q and any compliment of Q can be taken as a shot at JC if you want to read into it? I certainly think it's the former. Why wouldn't Keith (all the vets) have anything but great things to say about Q? What you (anyone) thought coming in probably effects what you make of the comments.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016

excellent break down of the problem.

so how to fix this problem....

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
This is the problem with reading into what players say and why I try not to do it. Everyone comes with their own bias or preconceived notions. You can take one comment and make it seem one way or another depending on what you already believe. Was Keith taking a shot at JC? Or was he genuinely answering a question about what he liked about Q and any compliment of Q can be taken as a shot at JC if you want to read into it? I certainly think it's the former. Why wouldn't Keith (all the vets) have anything but great things to say about Q? What you (anyone) thought coming in probably effects what you make of the comments.
the problem is dwelling on Q will screw up the team. Q time has come and gone..... time to start a new chapter.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I don't think he should get fired yet, but I also wouldn't be upset if he was. I do fault more than a few roster faults with this team's woes, but his line decisions and system also deserve their fair share of blame.

I still think that JC and Bowman are tied at the hip by this point. I have more faith in Bowman than JC and do think he should stay on, but I'm imagining that if JC goes then so goes Bowman. Moving from Q to JC was the definitive end of the previous era, so the accolades of that era no longer apply. Bowman brought JC into the organization and then promoted him immediately as the heir apparent to Q, it's either sink or swim for both in all likelihood.

Agreed. Bowman prevailed in the power struggle with Q and sold Colliton as the answer. However, if the Hawks miss the playoffs and the Panthers continue to excel, Rocky may believe he fired the wrong guy.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
the problem is dwelling on Q will screw up the team. Q time has come and gone..... time to start a new chapter.

I'm not sure if you are implying that Keith is dwelling on Q, but that certainly wasn't the case. He was doing a podcast where they were thy were telling stories and of course there were stories about the cups and all the success they had.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Agreed. Bowman prevailed in the power struggle with Q and sold Colliton as the answer. However, if the Hawks miss the playoffs and the Panthers continue to excel, Rocky may believe he fired the wrong guy.

It really depends on how it was sold. Hawks were a team going down while the Panthers were a team on the rise, so I don't view that as being a breaking point. Truth be told, I more imagine a timeline having been given for being good by a certain date. Whether that's by the end of this year or next, I don't know.

Last edited:

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I'm not sure if you are implying that Keith is dwelling on Q, but that certainly wasn't the case. He was doing a podcast where they were thy were telling stories and of course there were stories about the cups and all the success they had.
my bad on the overall statement.

but i still wonder as i mention before, dwelling on Q vs JC is and will always be a problem. no matter how one will look at it.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
It really depends on how it was sold. Hawks were a team going down while the Panthers were a team on the ride, so I don't view that as being a breaking point. Truth be told, I more imagine a timeline having been given for being good by a certain date. Whether that's by the end of this year or next, I don't know.

If that article that was put out last year is the timeline, Bowman promised they would be an elite team next season. That’s not even possible IMO and missing the playoffs would just cement it. This team doesn’t have enough top prospects gaining NHL experience and thriving to give any indication this can be an elite team next season. Couple that with the overpaid contracts and NMCs and there just isn’t much that can be done but rebuild the prospect pool and wait.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Telling quote from Kane (about JC) after last night's game:

“He’s a great coach,” Kane said. “He’s a smart mind. I think you saw last year when he came in we struggled a little bit at the start to get used to some things and then we really took off and it was fun games. I think we have a better team this year. We have a better defense. We have a better goaltending. There should be no reason why we shouldn’t be able to replicate that or do even better.”

Don't think that's player-speak.

Five observations from the Blackhawks' win over Vancouver

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

“He’s a great coach,” Kane said. “He’s a smart mind. I think you saw last year when he came in we struggled a little bit at the start to get used to some things and then we really took off and it was fun games. I think we have a better team this year. We have a better defense. We have a better goaltending. There should be no reason why we shouldn’t be able to replicate that or do even better.”

SHOOT THE f***ING PUCK KANER!!!!!

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

It's weird only for the fact he doesn't really touch on why they have been bad this season, just says there is no reason. If all of that is better, how come you aren't doing better?..would have been a question I would have liked to have seen asked.

plasmonresonance

Jul 28, 2015
I think the players are still getting used to each other. 6 of 13 forwards are new; four of them are 22 or younger and may struggle a bit getting used to the new teammates. Right now 3 of 7 defensemen are new along with a new goalie. I don't think they can become a cohesive unit merely from having three weeks of camp where you have 40+ players skating plus several weeks of regular season hockey to get to where they are all on the same page. All this leads to why I voted "no" and to give JC more time.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
what gets me is the possibilities of missing out a good coach.... if he is given a chance. we as fans do not know what will happen, but it just pisses me off that JC maybe that good coach and is being judge b/c he is following a great coach who help get this org 3 SC's.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Results just before game time

FC002B9F-C93E-418E-9CCC-99E8E145445A.jpeg

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
If that article that was put out last year is the timeline, Bowman promised they would be an elite team next season. That’s not even possible IMO and missing the playoffs would just cement it. This team doesn’t have enough top prospects gaining NHL experience and thriving to give any indication this can be an elite team next season. Couple that with the overpaid contracts and NMCs and there just isn’t much that can be done but rebuild the prospect pool and wait.

‘We’re not where we need to be to be an elite team,’’ Bowman told the Sun-Times before the Hawks faced the Bruins on Tuesday. ‘‘ . . . That’s where we want to get to. That’s our goal over the next 18 to 24 months — to build this thing up and be a team in that elite tier.’’

Promised? Promised???? :laugh: I'd hate to be married to you, if you interpreted that as a "promise". Holy shit dude.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Promised? Promised???? :laugh: I'd hate to be married to you, if you interpreted that as a "promise". Holy **** dude.

At least I’m not married to a GM of a hockey team. Go to other Hawks boards and see what the discussion is like. I’m honestly not even sure the people that keep perpetuating the lies about the state of the team even believe their own b.s. Maybe it’s just some twisted way of getting off on making people believe in it. Seeing how much stupidity you can get people to buy into. Maybe you need that to feel good about yourself.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
I do not like firing a coach this early in the season. Unless he is completely overwhelm moron, then firing him does not make sense. Fans who want him fired yesterday, want it done just to have it done. Patience is absolutely needed. Nobody actually thought this team would be a contender, more of a wild card. So give JC time to get the guys going.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I do not like firing a coach this early in the season. Unless he is completely overwhelm moron, then firing him does not make sense. Fans who want him fired yesterday, want it done just to have it done. Patience is absolutely needed. Nobody actually thought this team would be a contender, more of a wild card. So give JC time to get the guys going.
remember when all the fans made a prediction of where the team will end up ??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad