HF Fantasy Draft Talk pt3

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
No, he's just trying to recover from hip injuries.

You should still have him.

As funny as it would be for the game's commish to be DQed because his own team went over the cap, I might be tempted to let him have a mulligan there (if he makes it worth it...)

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
As funny as it would be for the game's commish to be DQed because his own team went over the cap, I might be tempted to let him have that one (if he makes it worth it...)
I was ab to pm you offering Wilson for your 20th

And I can make room other ways cause I only need 400k, but I'll just switch it since I made Llama drop Johns so there's precedent

BeLeafing

Jun 5, 2017
As funny as it would be for the game's commish to be DQed because his own team went over the cap, I might be tempted to let him have a mulligan there (if he makes it worth it...)

If he made 700k I doubt he really would've cared about the injured part which is why it's a tad more sketchy than the Johns pick since this is more money motivated, but I don't really care personally and can let it slide

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I'm watching peoples cap so you cannot pick a guy who makes you bust

remember I need cap/roster info posted by the end of the draft

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
If he made 700k I doubt he really would've cared about the injured part which is why it's a tad more sketchy than the Johns pick since this is more money motivated, but I don't really care personally and can let it slide
I can take him back idc, your call, I'll dump Kubel to fit it

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
I was ab to pm you offering Wilson for your 20th

And I can make room other ways cause I only need 400k, but I'll just switch it since I made Llama drop Johns so there's precedent

This is all just an argument for the next game a) having an $81.5M cap b) allowing for 3 extra skaters. Then a guy like Wilson maybe ends up being a stealth good move in hindsight since you can just dress someone else ahead of him.

BeLeafing

Jun 5, 2017
This is all just an argument for the next game a) having an $81.5M cap b) allowing for 3 extra skaters. Then a guy like Wilson maybe ends up being a stealth good move in hindsight since you can just dress someone else ahead of him.

We started with an 81.5M cap in previous games but it's just too much and teams end up pursuing those terrible Lucic-like contracts for fun. This is a little bit more of a challenge, but honestly I liked when we did 70M the most. With 75M I still didn't need to really take money into account until these last few rounds.

Also having spares that nobody cares about and wouldn't factor into voting (and needlessly extend the draft process) just doesn't make much sense

Reactions: hockeynorth

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Is Wilson ruled injured or not cause I have a deal if he isn't injured

edit: thanks panda, I did

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
I literally didn't pay attention to cap until about 2 rounds ago cause I had to with one of my teams.

Yet the other team cap didn't play a factor in it at all and I will be 10m+ under the cap.

I think 75m is the sweet spot, but 70m for a challenge is good too. Definitely think higher than 75m in these games doesn't work well.

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016

- 81.5 is basically playing with no cap
- the later rounds are painful enough as it is

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
We started with an 81.5M cap in previous games but it's just too much and teams end up pursuing those terrible Lucic-like contracts for fun. This is a little bit more of a challenge, but honestly I liked when we did 70M the most. With 75M I still didn't need to really take money into account until these last few rounds.

Also having spares that nobody cares about and wouldn't factor into voting (and needlessly extend the draft process) just doesn't make much sense

I wasn't around for $70M but I feel that going the other way helps with the realism of it. A guy like Lucic has a shit contract sure, but he also plays a role in the actual league and probably deserves to go somewhere. The spares I think are even more important than cap since who plays if there's an injury or whatever? We're assuming when voting that all 20 skaters play 100% of games, and I personally would find it more challenging (in a good way) to have to take into account that kind of stuff when voting/weighing rosters. Also in the end if you decided to be way under the cap, good for you, maybe some people would take a smart build like that into account when voting.

If in your example a team decides to be dumb with Lucic and Okposo and whoever and has to have three $700K skaters to round out their 23-man roster, I'd be harsher on them than a team that was smart and still had quality replacements in case of injury. The chances of snipes would also probably increase as teams fight over extras and those are always hilarious.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I wasn't around for $70M but I feel that going the other way helps with the realism of it. A guy like Lucic has a shit contract sure, but he also plays a role in the actual league and probably deserves to go somewhere. The spares I think are even more important than cap since who plays if there's an injury or whatever? We're assuming when voting that all 20 skaters play 100% of games, and I personally would find it more challenging (in a good way) to have to take into account that kind of stuff when voting/weighing rosters. Also in the end if you decided to be way under the cap, good for you, maybe some people would take a smart build like that into account when voting.

If in your example a team decides to be dumb with Lucic and Okposo and whoever and has to have three $700K skaters to round out their 23-man roster, I'd be harsher on them than a team that was smart and still had quality replacements in case of injury. The chances of snipes would also probably increase as teams fight over extras and those are always hilarious.
I tried to get extras in a while back, no one wanted it

@Panda Bear up

BeLeafing

Jun 5, 2017

If in your example a team decides to be dumb with Lucic and Okposo and whoever and has to have three $700K skaters to round out their 23-man roster, I'd be harsher on them than a team that was smart and still had quality replacements in case of injury. Snipes would also probably increase and those are always hilarious.

Sure but we have to balance the realism with functionality in these games, as well as it's nice to be challenged. I can't see spares factoring into voting enough to be worth adding an extra day or more to the lifespan of the draft (and honestly I would be more concerned if they did factor in that much..). More of a challenge comes from managing the cap than finding random 13th/14th forwards and 7th/8th defensemen.

And as Kent mentioned, the cap basically doesn't exist when you give everyone 81.5 and a clean slate.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
Just moving this into this thread so it's easier for the Lightning to quote it:

To Tampa- Alex Nylander, pick 603
To Boston- Zach Bogosian, pick 561

@CanadianHawkz to confirm.

BeLeafing

Jun 5, 2017
Sure but we have to balance the realism with functionality in these games, as well as it's nice to be challenged. I can't see spares factoring into voting enough to be worth adding an extra day or more to the lifespan of the draft (and honestly I would be more concerned if they did factor in that much..). More of a challenge comes from managing the cap than finding random 13th/14th forwards and 7th/8th defensemen.

And as Kent mentioned, the cap basically doesn't exist when you give everyone 81.5 and a clean slate.

To give an idea without naming names, for draft #1 this year with an 81.5M cap, I spent 19 million combined between my 4LW, 4RW, 3LD, and 3LW, and had 5M left over. Just cause why not.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
Sure but we have to balance the realism with functionality in these games, as well as it's nice to be challenged. I can't see spares factoring into voting enough to be worth adding an extra day or more to the lifespan of the draft (and honestly I would be more concerned if they did factor in that much..)

I think the pace is pretty darn fast myself. At this rate we'll be done drafting by Friday and I would guess regular season voting can start on the weekend. That's exactly two weeks from when the game actually started.

I'm also guessing participation lags/dies down when hockey is being played and this is more a time waster, but even if we're assuming the new season starts Jan 1 like is being talked about, you could run three more of these by then. I think the extra day or two it might take to expand rosters wouldn't be a huge deal, but that's just me.

BeLeafing

Jun 5, 2017
I think the pace is pretty darn fast myself. At this rate we'll be done drafting by Friday and I would guess regular season voting can start on the weekend. That's exactly two weeks from when the game actually started.

I'm also guessing participation lags/dies down when hockey is being played and this is more a time waster, but even if we're assuming the new season starts Jan 1 like is being talked about, you could run three more of these by then. I think the extra day or two it might take to expand rosters wouldn't be a huge deal, but that's just me.

It's not that it would be a huge deal, just unnecessary. At maximum a handful of people would take spares into account for voting and even for them it's probably just 2% of the equation still.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I quite like both my blue lines, they're both pretty solid.

Mattias Ekholm - Jeff Petry
Adam Pelech - Adam Boqvist
Jon Merrill
- Justin Schultz

Jake Muzzin - John Klingberg
Alexander Edler - Tyler Myers
Bowen Byram - Justin Braun

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad