HF Census: How many of you have played hockey?

Have you ever played hockey?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I am sure the majority of HF members have played at one time, but I am curious as to how many.

It's ok if you've only done it for a few years, played shinny, made it to the Juniors, etc.

Road/Ball hockey doesn't count.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Wish I could, parents could never afford it as they came to Canada as immigrants. It's such an expensive and time consuming sport, driving here or there etc. But my kids are definitely going to be enrolled in hockey programs.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I played until I was 13. I did play a little shinny with friends after University.

I enjoyed playing hockey, but they changed the rules to no-contact after my first 3 years. I lost the enjoyment after that.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Played from 5 through college. Division 3 hockey. Joined the military after and continued to play when opportunities presented themselves; out in Spokane they had a base team, down in Texas ice was a 2 hour drive, overseas assignments I didn’t even bring my gear, deployments obviously there’s no chance. My last couple of years were down in Texas far away from ice and I separated last year. Now I live in Dallas where there is ice but I haven’t skated maybe twice in the past 18 months. Really want to get back into a rhythm.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Explain what you mean.

I think that’s pretty explanatory. Play rec league with no coach and no practices isn’t the same as being on a team that travels, has multiple practices each week, has a coaching staff behind the bench, specifically works on breakouts, PK, PP, etc. and has a system they expect their players to adhere to, rather than just freestyling in the weekly beer league game.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Wish I could, parents could never afford it as they came to Canada as immigrants. It's such an expensive and time consuming sport, driving here or there etc. But my kids are definitely going to be enrolled in hockey programs.

This is my story too. I wish I played but it was expensive and where we came from hockey wasn’t big. (Romania)

We have a 10 month old boy and he will be given a chance to skate next winter and onwards. Not going to be the crazy dad with nhl expectations.... but if he wants to continue competitive hockey later on- I’m all in!

2038 draft. :naughty:

Last edited:

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Nope, never played hockey, but have loved watching it from a young age. I played basketball, soccer, baseball, and track & field, but generally don't enjoy watching them.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Played roller as young kid but never played ice until a couple years ago . Was going strong until COVID hit can’t wait to get out there again

Played since I was young. Beer league right now before lockdowns.

Yeah, beer league closures suck. It’s not just the physical benefits but the camaraderie and mental health benefits of competitive (relative to ones skill level) mens rec hockey.

I was actually better at and played higher level football than I did hockey, but hockey I enjoy more now and you can play hockey well into being an old timer whether that’s beer leagues or outdoor rinks, I’m in my 30s now so still fairly athletic.

Living in Alberta, outdoor rinks are packed everywhere you go with people of all ages and skill levels out there. At night in my neighbourhood there’s usually a solid group of guys who are good athletes and a couple goalies that get a good game of shinny going.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
You can tell by the posts on here that very few have played competitive ice hockey.

Reactions: Voight

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Explain what you mean.

Edit

No one is arguing that they are the same thing. Nor is that the point of the poll.

Going to a "stick and puck" or playing on your neighborhood pond is different than playing in a league where your team practices multiple times a week, travels to different cities, and plays in tournaments.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
As much as I love hockey, and have been watching it since I was 4, I never played ice hockey. Played floor hockey as an adult, I know, not the same.

As a kid, my family wasn’t well off. It was too damn expensive. Also, while I liked skating, I was bullied because of the way I skated, by kids who played ice hockey of course. So I just gave up on that. I’ve tried to relearn as an adult though, and one day I’d like to play Rec hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad