Prospect Info: HF Bruins Top 25 Prospects: #5

Who is Boston's #5 Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I personally would rank them 4 and 5 on our list but based on voting it looks like they will be 8-10 if lucky
They probably deserve to be higher than where they will fall, but because of their age vs. the shiny new toys you are likely right about them being 8-10.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
don`t discount the huge adjustment to not just coming to NA but landing in a spot where he (Lauko) is now exposed to another language that is new to him. I`ll disagree that the Q is becoming increasingly defensive unless something drastic has happened since I moved out West less than a year ago

Could’ve sworn i read something about the style of play being different than even just a few years ago but I can’t find it so I’ll just take your word on it since you were there recently.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Man this prospect pool needs another infusion of talent.

if they won the cup this year, we may have seen it with a few trades of guys like krug and krejci.
now they're in must win mode so the prospect pool will probably coast along for a while.

Reactions: wintersej

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
We agreed on #1 and #2, but that's it lol...

1.) Jack Studnicka
2.) Urho Vaakanainen
3.) Jakub Lauko
4.) Kyle Keyser*
5.) Trent Frederic

*Gave Keyser the edge since he's gone pro. Also can't see Swayman leaving college early.
I know it's really hard to predict with goalies, but I'm quite pleased we have two guys in the system who seem to have a good chance of making the jump to the NHL level. We've been kinda spoiled around here with goalies for the past ten years or so. Unlike the previous ten years... So it would be nice for at least one of these guys to make it.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I originally was going to vote for Axel (based on his position being on of the hardest to find talent) but decided to switch to Lauko. Like what he's been doing, seems like another Pastrnak who genuinely just loves the game and looks like he is always having fun. It's a great attitude for a player to have.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I know it's really hard to predict with goalies, but I'm quite pleased we have two guys in the system who seem to have a good chance of making the jump to the NHL level. We've been kinda spoiled around here with goalies for the past ten years or so. Unlike the previous ten years... So it would be nice for at least one of these guys to make it.
Hell, I'd argue Vladar also has at the very least a chance of being a solid backup - the other two seem like the better bet to be starters though.

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
This is my only quibble. You should compare him to fellow 2000s and late 1999s, not Q rookies, as many of them will be younger than Lauko. I like him, but his PPG wasn't all that great compared with the other Q forwards in his draft class.

What did it for me with Lauko was his performance in the Memorial Cup where he was the leading scorer in the entire tournament and led his team to the title. He really picked up his game the second half the year.

Reactions: BlackFrancis

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I actually thought about Kuhlman here to be honest. I know that is crazy talk. But, he is a good skater with a hard shot that isn't afraid of contact. We can question his offensive hockey IQ for sure... but how many times did you see him wheel out of the corner and think "wait, Marchand isn't right handed".

Went with Steen because there is hope for more upside there... but 8 even strength points in his first 19 professional games (including playoffs) is a pretty good look for Karson.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Couldn't you say this about any prospect, even Beecher?
For the guys who are already up there, I'd put it higher. Obviously Urho and Lauzon have already shown they can play in the NHL. Studicka is a bit of a darling but he's versatile enough to get a look at some point. Beecher is very similar to Frederic but a better skater so he will find a way.

But Lauko was 9th on his junior team in scoring. He can really skate but he has a long way to go. At least Steen has shown he can succeed in high-level pro hockey.

Reactions: PlayMakers

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I'd say there's a 50/50 shot that Lauko never plays the 15 NHL games that Frederic already has. This is nuts. Frederic was in the NHL at 20, guy still has a tonne of upside.

I'd say there is a 100% chance that Lauko plays 15 NHL games.

I'll also go on record to saying that Lauko will at least record a point in his first 15 NHL games.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I'd say there's a 50/50 shot that Lauko never plays the 15 NHL games that Frederic already has. This is nuts. Frederic was in the NHL at 20, guy still has a tonne of upside.

He drastically needs to improve his skating at the NHL level.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
For the guys who are already up there, I'd put it higher. Obviously Urho and Lauzon have already shown they can play in the NHL. Studicka is a bit of a darling but he's versatile enough to get a look at some point. Beecher is very similar to Frederic but a better skater so he will find a way.

But Lauko was 9th on his junior team in scoring. He can really skate but he has a long way to go. At least Steen has shown he can succeed in high-level pro hockey.

As a rookie playing his first year in NA hockey and in a bottom 6 role. He also had a monster playoff run and was a HUGE factor in their Championship success.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
As a rookie playing his first year in NA hockey and in a bottom 6 role. He also had a monster playoff run and was a HUGE factor in their Championship success.

Sure he was on a good team who won the championship but he had 13 points in 19 QMJHL playoff games, which was 8th on his team. Good on him for embracing whatever role he had, and he was good in the Memorial Cup but your comments don't line up with the facts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad