GDT: HF Boards GDT: 11/14/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
That is an extreme and strange interpretation of a single data point. There have been several times a player has been slammed to the ice since the Matheson it.

That made the Matheson hit suspendable was how helpless Pettersson was throughout the hit and how it appeared to be retaliation for breaking his ankle earlier in the sequence.
If it was retaliation for earlier in the play, then I really feel 2 games wasn't enough.
I agree that the helplessness of Pettersson had some to do with it too. I just don't see what Morrisey did to Oshie as being substantially different.

And I can't say I've watched every game, but I haven't seen anyone slammed to the ice in the Matheson-esq manner until this one.

Villert

Dec 29, 2009
So you're saying Oshie fell and because he fell is why he was injured?
I dunno man, I'm clearly a Jets fan but I see a huge difference between them too. With the Petterson hit, you had a player intentionally skate out of his way to attack a guy and throw him down with no intention of a hockey play. With the Oshie hit, Morrissey was at least actually playing the puck when he hit Oshie, then they got tangled and it looked like they fell down together only Morrissey ended up on top. Did he throw him down? Maybe a bit, but I think that's also Morrissey trying to shake Oshie off - he was holding him for sure. Hate the result, but don't see how you can call the two "very similar".

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
DeBrusk with 2 goals on the night has 4 goals and 6 pts in his last 5 games.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
If it was retaliation for earlier in the play, then I really feel 2 games wasn't enough.
I agree that the helplessness of Pettersson had some to do with it too. I just don't see what Morrisey did to Oshie as being substantially different.

And I can't say I've watched every game, but I haven't seen anyone slammed to the ice in the Matheson-esq manner until this one.

Or rather, it is because it was retaliation that it was a suspension at all. Without Pettersson making Matheson look a fool earlier in the play, Matheson's slam may not have even gotten a review from NHL discipline.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
Chara injured now too.

Bruins are now down playing with only 2 regular defeseman, Krug and Moore.

Miller/Chara/McAvoy/Carlo all out.

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016

Justin Williams had a similar play on Malkin, though in happened in 2016. He doesn't throw him as violently as Matheson threw Pettersson, but he does throw him into the boards. It got a 2-minute roughing penalty.

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
I dunno man, I'm clearly a Jets fan but I see a huge difference between them too. With the Petterson hit, you had a player intentionally skate out of his way to attack a guy and throw him down with no intention of a hockey play. With the Oshie hit, Morrissey was at least actually playing the puck when he hit Oshie, then they got tangled and it looked like they fell down together only Morrissey ended up on top. Did he throw him down? Maybe a bit, but I think that's also Morrissey trying to shake Oshie off - he was holding him for sure. Hate the result, but don't see how you can call the two "very similar".
As I said, I can see that they are two different plays.
In the DoPS video on Matheson, the point of emphasis seemed to be the hockey stick between the legs, and the slamming of someone towards the ice.

They are easily tied up going into the corner, the puck then leaves, and the play is done (or should be), Morrissey and Oshie have their arms locked (I'm not going to say who was holding who), but his legs where in a position to throw Oshie off balance. Then Morrissey moves his left hand onto the chest of Oshie and slams him to the ice, and yes, I'm going to say slams, if they just "fell" then Oshies legs don't come up the way they do, Morrissey was exerting force on his chest. At least that's my opinion.

That's why I've decided to compare the two.

Reactions: Bizzare

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
Or rather, it is because it was retaliation that it was a suspension at all. Without Pettersson making Matheson look a fool earlier in the play, Matheson's slam may not have even gotten a review from NHL discipline.
That's a good point. But they do not bring that up in the DoPS video at all.

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
No he was playing basketball in Winnipeg in -0 temps.

Good thing it was our smallest D man. Whew.

If it was Buff that was near him and he got hurt, there would be a Own Thread!
It's clear you have no intention of actually discussing the play. You're being extremely immature. Therefore, I can only assume you're a child, and I no interest in seeing your posts. Enjoy being blocked.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
That's a good point. But they do not bring that up in the DoPS video at all.

Well, except they do show it. Which really wasn't necessary given the amount of time between Matheson falling and him eventually taking down Pettersson.

Which may be me reading too much into it. But on the other hand, they would never be able to outright say they factored that level of assumed intent into the decision.

Reactions: JerseyMike34

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
Well, except they do show it. Which really wasn't necessary given the amount of time between Matheson falling and him eventually taking down Pettersson.

Which may be me reading too much into it. But on the other hand, they would never be able to outright say they factored that level of assumed intent into the decision.
I agree with what you're saying, they didn't directly say that it factored in, but they really do imply that it is. It seems weird to bring it up at all, and then focus and highlight the stick and choke slam to the ice.

I hadn't thought of that angle from the League Office point of view, but it something to consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad