• Yes play him at C permanently!

• Play him at C for a bit and see how he does

• No no no no

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Is this the player discussion thread? Put these thoughts to the trade thread already but here's some more elaboration:

Watched my share of Coyotes games last season and have to say Domi was extremely frustrating to watch. He struggled most of the season and these things were very apparent in his game: can't score to save his life, tunnelvisions so hard by forcing plays that aren't there and by constantly skating into traffic, and in general just looks like a headless chicken running around. Tries to do so much at such high speed and is simply not skilled/strong/smart enough to pull it off. The amount of times he turns the puck over, gives it away or just the play dies in his stick is astronomical. Can be described as turnover machine on many nights. He's a definition of a "waterbug" whose hands and brain can't keep up with his quick feet. It's actually very reminiscent of Yakupov, if you just replace the mindless shooting with mindless passing (and better skating).

When he's on though (like he was at the very end of last season), when he plays more calm and controlled and is not forcing things, going 100 miles an hour or being too fancy, he can be a good playmaker. He does have skill, quickness, vision and compete. He can gain the zone and make nice east-west plays, finding the second wave or a defender on the blueline. But even when he's on and playing well, he is not a threat to score. In his first 106 games in the NHL, he scored 20 non-EN goals. Then he broke his hand and had a major surgery. After that he has 9 non-EN goals in 115 games. That's AWFUL and a big concern, because it's a lot easier to defend you if you are not a threat at all in terms of shooting the puck, but only a pint-sized playmaker. It's a big reason why his PP numbers are so poor.

He does have snarl and compete, and he plays bigger than he is, but he is SO freaking tiny. Ultimately he ends up getting pushed around, losing a lot of battles and in general being softer on the puck than you would like to see.

The thing I don't understand is that, assuming the best case scenario of Bergevin finding centers somehow and can start putting players in their proper positions, the Habs now have two 23 year old LWers in Drouin and Domi. This is the top 6 left side future. This is extremely one dimensional. Two small, soft and weak playmakers. Add in Gallgher and the winger position is just smurf-sized. It's going to get overwhelmed by bigger players even if two of those guys are hard competitors.

Even if you argue that this trade itself isn't bad, because Galchenyuk clearly had some issues too, how does this trade make any sense from a team building perspective? Not to mention that the assets used for Drouin and Domi could've and should've been used to something more crucial than a couple of small playmaking wingers with a lot of flaws in their games. And lastly, if (when?) these guys will actually be the go-to options to play center in the near future, it could easily be the 31st place offense in the league.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Forgetting the deal, and just focusing on Domi, I'm excited to watch the kid play for us. Some here are acting like we traded for Tie Domi lol, Max is actually a highly skilled player. And while he's smaller than Galchenyuk he plays bigger and that's what counts. We lost ourselves a sniper but we gained a talented player.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Is this the player discussion thread? Put these thoughts to the trade thread already but here's some more elaboration:

Watched my share of Coyotes games last season and have to say Domi was extremely frustrating to watch. He struggled most of the season and these things were very apparent in his game: can't score to save his life, tunnelvisions so hard by forcing plays that aren't there and by constantly skating into traffic, and in general just looks like a headless chicken running around. Tries to do so much at such high speed and is simply not skilled/strong/smart enough to pull it off. The amount of times he turns the puck over, gives it away or just the play dies in his stick is astronomical. Can be described as turnover machine on many nights. He's a definition of a "waterbug" whose hands and brain can't keep up with his quick feet. It's actually very reminiscent of Yakupov, if you just replace the mindless shooting with mindless passing (and better skating).

When he's on though, like he was at the very end of last season, when he plays more calm and controlled and is not forcing things, going 100 miles an hour or being too fancy, he can be a good playmaker. He does have skill, quickness, vision and compete. He can gain the zone and make nice east-west plays, finding the second wave or a defender on the blueline. But even when he's on and playing well, he is not a threat to score. In his first 106 games in the NHL, he scored 20 non-EN goals. Then he broke his hand and had a major surgery. After that he has 9 non-EN goals in 115 games. That's AWFUL and a big concern, because it's a lot easier to defend you if you are not a threat at all in terms of shooting the puck, but only a pint-sized playmaker. It's a big reason why his PP numbers are so poor.

He does have snarl and compete, and he plays bigger than he is, but he is SO freaking tiny. Ultimately he ends up getting pushed around, losing a lot of battles and in general being softer on the puck than you would like to see.

The thing I don't understand is that, assuming the best case scenario of Bergevin finding centers somehow and can start putting players in their proper positions, the Habs now have two 23 year old LWers in Drouin and Domi. This is the top 6 left side future. This is extremely one dimensional. Two small, soft and weak playmakers. Add in Gallgher and the winger position is just smurf-sized. It's going to get overwhelmed by bigger players even if two of those guys are hard competitors.

Even if you argue that this trade itself isn't bad, because Galchenyuk clearly had some issues too, how does this trade make any sense from a team building perspective? Not to mention that the assets used for Drouin and Domi could've and should've been used to something more crucial than a couple of small playmaking wingers with a lot of flaws in their games. And lastly, if (when?) these guys will actually be the go-to options to play center in the near future, it could easily be the 31st place offense in the league.
Both Drouin and Domi can shoot though. These aren't 2 DDs, both can beat goalies with their shot, they both just look to pass first.

As well, on paper Domi is smaller than Galchenyuk but he plays bigger on the ice.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Both Drouin and Domi can shoot though. These aren't 2 DDs, both can beat goalies with their shot, they both just look to pass first.

As well, on paper Domi is smaller than Galchenyuk but he plays bigger on the ice.

Domi plays bigger than McDavid too, doesn’t make him a better player.

Great, we’ll have a guy playing “bigger” than the superior player we just traded away. This logic is exactly why Bergevin made this trade. Worked out great with Subban v. Weber, btw.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
In a vacuum, ok. But here, it IS actually problem, Domi's just more of the same. And illustrates just how visionless MB is on a team-building standpoint.

How many perimeter 2nd line wingers "who play dey right way" and aren't shooting threats does one team need? Trop c'est comme pas assez.

But that's also my point. Domi, in itself, is not a problem. The trade is. And the composition of the team is. Let say we would have a DG with a vision, so you acquire Domi and you do major changes everywhere else....at one point Domi would be part of a solution. But we all know it won't happen. Johnson and Stastny are coming. At least, we will have a top 5 pick. With a shot at Jack Hughes. Though...maybe he's too talented for us to be interested.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Domi plays bigger than McDavid too, doesn’t make him a better player.

Great, we’ll have a guy playing “bigger” than the superior player we just traded away. This logic is exactly why Bergevin made this trade. Worked out great with Subban v. Weber, btw.
Domi is a better skater, competes harder, and is a better playmaker than Galchenyuk. His hands even play up higher because he has actual quickness and shiftiness to get around defenders consistantly.

Where Galchenyuk has him beat is as a sniper, because that's who Galchenyuk is.

As a habs fan, I'm hoping the move to Montreal is just what Domi needed.

Reactions: Habs Icing

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Forgetting the deal, and just focusing on Domi, I'm excited to watch the kid play for us. Some here are acting like we traded for Tie Domi lol, Max is actually a highly skilled player. And while he's smaller than Galchenyuk he plays bigger and that's what counts. We lost ourselves a sniper but we gained a talented player.
Scoring is what counts first for skilled players.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Domi is a better skater, competes harder, and is a better playmaker than Galchenyuk. His hands even play up higher because he has actual quickness and shiftiness to get around defenders consistantly.

Where Galchenyuk has him beat is as a sniper, because that's who Galchenyuk is.

As a habs fan, I'm hoping the move to Montreal is just what Domi needed.

That’s all fine and dandy.

But Domi is a playmaker. Drouin is a playmaker. Pacioretty is a strong candidate to be traded.

Who are these guys passing to, to actually score goals?

Had we traded a 2nd and and say Hudon/Lehkonen for Domi I would have applauded the move. He would have been a considerable upgrade. We didn’t upgrade by trading a superior player (and regardless of all the little things Domi might do better, Galchenyuk IS a superior player)

Galchenyuk was improperly used in Montreal for his whole career and I guarantee he scores 60+pts next season.

Reactions: lo striver

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I haven't seen much of Domi since his London days when he was teammates with McCarron and Mete. I know he was great in juniors, and looks to of had a good 1st year in the NHL, then was injured in the 2nd year where he was at least on pace for 53 pts and then this year his production dropped a bit but he still hit career highs in games, assists and pims while playing on a team that actually scored less then we did (though by just 1 goal)

I don't watch any non Hab games, I was fooled last year into thinking Drouin was going to come in and put up 60+ pts and be a real threat. Instead I saw more of a soft, lazy player that is skilled but can't carry the bulk of the offense. So with Domi I won't expect him to be as good as Galchenyuk, as long as he works hard consistently and isn't soft, I won't have a problem with him.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Good luck replacing the chosen one domi. Hopefully for you he dosent elevate into a 1C in Arizona. Hopefully for us he does and we get a step closer to the demise of MB as GM

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Funny enough, both Domi and Galchenyuk are averaging 0.61ppg in the NHL. Domi is a year younger and should be cheaper.

Domi also ended last year on a tear going over ppg over the last 15 games.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Funny enough, both Domi and Galchenyuk are averaging 0.61ppg in the NHL. Domi is a year younger and should be cheaper.

Domi also ended last year on a tear going over ppg over the last 15 games.

15 game sample sizes on a team with nothing to play for aren't very useful.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006

They both very much prefer to pass the puck. Neither of them are shooters. The numbers tell us they are not beating goalies in the NHL. They are similar lefty playmaking-winger types. You can't even entertain the idea of putting them on a same line.

Yes Domi does play bigger than he is. But he is still a tiny player who gets pushed around. Strength on the puck and ability to win battles is all that matters, and I don't see a Domi having an advantage there.

Reactions: Peanut
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad