• Play him at C for a bit and see how he does

• No no no no

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
How is Domi crippled with injuries? He had a broken hand in 2016-2017. Gallagher broke his hand twice and just had a career year last seaosn. Meanwhile he's being compared to a guy who isn't a good skater and has already had 3 knee injuries in his career.
When you don't like a particular player and they suffer any sort of injury, you immediately label them "injury-prone" and whine about how their bodies have "broken down". This despite the fact that practically no one playing NHL hockey for any length of time will cruise through the entirety of their careers without getting banged up at some point.

Back when we liked Pacioretty he was "Wolverine", who would rehab from injuries in half the time it took mere mortals. Now that we've soured on him he's "one hit away from forced retirement". In truth, every player in the league is "one hit away" from the same fate, if you want to get technical about it.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Perhaps Domi will improve with the Habs. However, the five even strength goals that he got last year are a catastrophic failure for a forward playing 17 minutes a game. It reminds me of Brian Gionta, who was a decent goal scorer prior to his bicep injuries.

Galchenyuk, however, is much better than his point totals so far. If he stays healthy, then he'll do great in Arizona.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Maybe but I doubt that the Coyotes are the team on which Galchenyuk will be able to prove his detractors wrong. They're as poorly run as the Habs. And let's not forget that Galchenyuk has some real baggage that goes beyond Subban-level philosophical differences between player and coach. We know he's been in rehab and we know that he has a domineering hockey dad who has his own ideas about how his son should play the game. These are not the kind of problems that will magically disappear just because he's been traded.

Galchenyuk could put up a very big number in Arizona depending on his linemates. Moreover, he'll be a PP weapon for them as their trigger man, and they've got two really good playmakers to find him for his one timer with both cross-crease, and cross-seam passes. If he plays more or less a full season, I think he'll score 30.

And won't that be embarrassing with the tire fire we're in for next year.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Perhaps Domi will improve with the Habs. However, the five even strength goals that he got last year are a catastrophic failure for a forward playing 17 minutes a game. It reminds me of Brian Gionta, who was a decent goal scorer prior to his bicep injuries.

Galchenyuk, however, is much better than his point totals so far. If he stays healthy, then he'll do great in Arizona.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Do you really think that Domi will shoot to the net and have a 3.4% of success for the rest of his career?

Look at this highlight and then tell me with a straight face that this guy doesn't have a decent shot:

I don’t think his shooting percentage will be that bad. My projection for him is between 10-15 goals next year, which is still better then he’s had the past two seasons but that’s still not great.

Last edited:

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal

Did you know that the catastrophic Domi got more 5on5 primary assists than Kucherov, Barkov, Giroux, Kopitar, Duchene, Ehlers, Hall, Point, Marchand and a bunch of other elite players in this league while playing on a brutal Arizona team?

What can you tell me about Golden Boy?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Did you know that the catastrophic Domi got more 5on5 primary assists than Kucherov, Barkov, Giroux, Kopitar, Duchene, Ehlers, Hall, Point, Marchand and a bunch of other elite players in this league while playing on a brutal Arizona team?

LMFAO.

Yes. We're the ones grasping at straws.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

He scored more than 5 goals, which is Jordie Benn goal scoring numbers.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

Alex "one dimensional goal-scorer" Galchenyuk had 32 assists last year.
Max "Better playmaker than Kucherov, Barkov, Giroux, Kopitar, Duchene, Ehlers, Hall, Point, Marchand" had 4 more assists, but needed more ice time and better linemates to do so.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Perhaps we're biased against Domi due to the fact that we're Habs fans and our GM is unpopular.

I don't think that this is the case, but it's possible.

What did the main boards think about the trade?

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Alex "one dimensional goal-scorer" Galchenyuk had 32 assists last year.
Max "Better playmaker than Kucherov, Barkov, Giroux, Kopitar, Duchene, Ehlers, Hall, Point, Marchand" had 4 more assists, but needed more ice time and better linemates to do so.
Yeah, the PP master...

Send me a message when he'll finally be useful when it matters and not only when the team is on the PP.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
This board always had an unhealthy attachment to Galchneyuk. I guess being a top 3 pick will do that on messageboard called
hockey's future".

Reactions: Laurentide

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Yeah, the PP master...

Send me a message when he'll finally be useful when it matters and not only when the team is on the PP.

Power play scoring might be less valuable than ES scoring, but it's still valuable.

People will be discussing Galchenyuk's performance throughout the season.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Yeah, the PP master...

Well, we sent that email in 2015-16 and he had MOAR 5V5 GOALZ THAN TAYLOR HALL OMG GAIZ but for some reason it never got through to you.

Oh, and Max Domi still sucks dick at shooting.

Reactions: Peanut

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Galchenyuk could put up a very big number in Arizona depending on his linemates. Moreover, he'll be a PP weapon for them as their trigger man, and they've got two really good playmakers to find him for his one timer with both cross-crease, and cross-seam passes. If he plays more or less a full season, I think he'll score 30.

And won't that be embarrassing with the tire fire we're in for next year.
Players who rely heavily on getting open looks for one-timers aren't going to score as much as you think. Galchenyuk is too easy to defend against because everyone knows that's his thing. But I've never seen him beat a guy with speed to create space for himself and when he's carrying the puck he tends to slow down even more. Anyone can dangle at slow speed. It's being able to do it at top speed which separates the elite from the average. If he gets enough first unit power-play time Galchenyuk might be able to put up decent numbers depending on who he plays with but there won't be any embarrassment about it in Montreal. We didn't trade him because he can't play hockey. We traded him for a guy who plays hockey in a different way. The way Galchenyuk plays the game wasn't getting us anywhere, even when he produced.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
This board always had an unhealthy attachment to Galchneyuk. I guess being a top 3 pick will do that on messageboard called
hockey's future".
Drouin was a top 3 pick and was selected by an organization that posters here have much more respect for as evaluators of talent than the Habs yet as soon as he became a Hab he got cut zero slack. It's the Iron Law of Disgruntled Habs Fans: any player on another team is de facto better than the players on our own team simply by virtue of the fact that they play for those other teams. As soon as a player from another team is acquired by the Habs they instantly begin to suck and any Habs player who leaves town instantly morphs into a better player simply by putting on another team's jersey.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Yeah, the PP master...

Alex Galchenyuk 24 PP-27 ES
Jonathan Drouin 22 PP-26 ES

You’re blasting Galchenyuk when the player you hype up the most has almost identical splits while putting up less points. It makes no sense.

Reactions: Peanut

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Players who rely heavily on getting open looks for one-timers aren't going to score as much as you think. Galchenyuk is too easy to defend against because everyone knows that's his thing. But I've never seen him beat a guy with speed to create space for himself and when he's carrying the puck he tends to slow down even more. Anyone can dangle at slow speed. It's being able to do it at top speed which separates the elite from the average. If he gets enough first unit power-play time Galchenyuk might be able to put up decent numbers depending on who he plays with but there won't be any embarrassment about it in Montreal. We didn't trade him because he can't play hockey. We traded him for a guy who plays hockey in a different way. The way Galchenyuk plays the game wasn't getting us anywhere, even when he produced.

Yes, and it's my position that this different way isn't a particularly good way. There isn't always some grand reason behind every trade. It's very possible that Bergevin just made a mistake. I'm betting that he did. Again.

As for Montrealers not being embarrassed when we trade away the better player, well, that's more of a survival reflex at this point than anything else. People are already revving up the excuse machine: ''he wouldn't have done it here!'' should Galchenyuk go on to have success with Arizona.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Yes, and it's my position that this different way isn't a particularly good way. There isn't always some grand reason behind every trade. It's very possible that Bergevin just made a mistake. I'm betting that he did. Again.

As for Montrealers not being embarrassed when we trade away the better player, well, that's more of a survival reflex at this point than anything else. People are already revving up the excuse machine: ''he wouldn't have done it here!'' should Galchenyuk go on to have success with Arizona.
If Galchenyuk goes on to have a great year at C for Arizona it will definitively show that I and MB were wrong. And I'll eat that crow.

But if he goes there and does more of the same, I don't want to hear the "we ruined him" excuse. Just own it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad