Hexy or Homer?

Who would you rather have as GM today?

• Total voters

Flyers Faithful

Feb 12, 2016
Who would you rather have in charge with the current roster? Regardless of how you feel about how Hexy dragged us out of cap he’ll and how homer took us there, who would you rather have leading the team tomorrow?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
7LAL.gif

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I will place this here from another thread.....he was a mediocre GM. I wish I could find his interview after he was "promoted"...even he admitted his tenure was a mixed one.

Now is he better than Hextall…….well at this point given how boring this team has become and how we are still spinning our wheels....I will have to say yeah....pretty much. Which is kind of sad at this stage of the game

The dude ultimately left the cupboard bare with prospects until he finally wised up towards the end and stopped giving away picks like they were circulars. He left our farm team with barely any homegrown prospects to develop. The guy was a mediocre GM ultimately. Started off good.....went rogue trading youth and picks after saying he wouldn't do so, then gained back some sanity with the Carter and Richards trades which were necessary....then went nuts again with Bryz which lost us Bob, traded JVR for Schenn which he did to get stay at home D to protect Bryz and institute the extra wrinkle of D which was against Lavi's system and confused the players, then we lost Lavi as a result which was necessary but should have been done in the offseason, then we inherited Berube…..I mean the guy is just as big a reason we're still spinning our wheels and without a cup moving towards a half century.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
Holmgren would blow up the cap next off-season and wasting valuable assets on crap players like Steve Eminger.

No thanks

Hextall 100%

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I don't pine for Homer at all. Building with prospects through the draft is the way to go. But he has to make a coaching change and then we will see where we are. I'm not absolving him of responsibility - I'm just saying, this is the better way to be.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
Hextall.

The Hakstol situation is a disaster, but if that one thing gets rectified, we're in incredible shape with this roster, prospect pool, and cap situation.

Homer didn't know how to plan ahead at all and he also ****ed up in the coaching department (Berube).
Before you make this decision final. Only one of these dinosaurs acquired Jordan Weal.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
The Flyers were the worst team in the NHL when Holmgren took over. He had them in the SCF's three and a half years later, and over his first five seasons as GM the team had won SEVERAL playoff rounds. He was always making moves and trying to improve the team for better or worse too, which created excited as a fan.

Hextall, four years and going strong into year 5 without a single playoff series win.

I'll take a few years of being a legit contender and being able to get excited to be a fan of the team and watch them play then continue to hold out hope that they MIGHT become a contender by the time Hextall's 10 year plan POSSIBLY comes to fruition while I watch a stale, boring, and crap product.

Angry Hockey Dad

Eat up Johnny
May 30, 2013
Canada
Homer, only because Hakstol is a nigh unforgivable sin.

Also, last two Flyers games I've fallen asleep on for a cat-nap. Homer''s teams were more entertaining.

Honestly me too. I fell asleep when they were up 5-2 against Florida and woke up to it tied. Fell asleep tonight at 1-0 and woke up to 4-2 lumbus. I might just stay asleep next time

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Not a fair comparison because the CBA has completely changed ways to assemble an NHL roster. Being rich team has far less off-season advantage.

Reactions: wasup

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Voted Homer. Probably unfair because it's likely just Snider I want back in reality. I imagine it's really Snider that most people want back in reality. At least under Homer he wasn't afraid to fire coaches or make big trades and we competed most years. It's not hard to tank either, you just let the team suck for a year or two and make the obvious picks at the top of the draft and, if you're fortunate, you get a Matthews/McDavid/MacKinnon that year. Even when the teams were bad they displayed a lot more emotion and fight than what we're seeing now.

If Hextall had even an ounce of the balls Homer displayed in his tenure this would easily be Hextall for me. As is, he has and is currently undoing all the good he's done by being awfully stubborn in his approach to management and a pattern of absurdly bad decision-making when it comes to hiring or retaining coaches.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad