Hextall's job if we dont make the playoffs in 18-19?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
right now there is no available HC options. I think Hak should be gone, but I am not interested in a lateral move. ie. another HC with zero experience at the pro level.

I'd take Dave Tippett at this point. He had some really good years behind the bench in both Dallas and Arizona. His last few years in Arizona doesn't change that. Everyone doubted Tortorella when Columbus hired him because of his tenure in Vancouver.

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
That's based on his insistence to not move on from "his guy," which would be an admission that he made a mistake.

Which is a complete guess with no proof to back it up...

Who says he hasn't decided to move on?

Who says he doesn't just like Hakstol and agree with what he's doing?

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
I'd take Dave Tippett at this point. He had some really good years behind the bench in both Dallas and Arizona. His last few years in Arizona doesn't change that. Everyone doubted Tortorella when Columbus hired him because of his tenure in Vancouver.

Would he want to come mid season on the Flyers or wait till the off-season to implement his system and strategy? Coaches like Tippett or Sutter may want to wait for next season because that is more of a convenience for them. Both should be able to find a job if they want to coach next season.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Would he want to come mid season on the Flyers or wait till the off-season to implement his system and strategy? Coaches like Tippett or Sutter may want to wait for next season because that is more of a convenience for them. Both should be able to find a job if they want to coach next season.

I would imagine most coachs would want the summer.

Hextall probably wants to see which coachs that are currently employed are available this summer.

This is why I want Hak fired now and an internal interim coach to take over until summer. You don't want to bring in a guy like Tippett and then see a guy like Quenneville hit the open market in the summer..

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I'd take Dave Tippett at this point.

Hakstol with more experience.

E8Wk8.gif

Reactions: Striiker

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I would imagine most coachs would want the summer.

Hextall probably wants to see which coachs that are currently employed are available this summer.

This is why I want Hak fired now and an internal interim coach to take over until summer. You don't want to bring in a guy like Tippett and then see a guy like Quenneville hit the open market in the summer..
Why on earth would he hit open market? He has two years left on his deal. Also I don't think for a second flyers would even go after him. I would be more inclined to believe they'll just promote lappy.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Everyone on here would be on board with that...except that is not what is happening.

This year was supposed to be the year where the youth took over. You guys have been saying for years "just wait until they get rid of the trash...once guys like Streit, Del Zotto, and Shultz are replaced with Morin, Sanheim, and Hagg this team will be better". Problem is those guys havent been upgrades bc they dont play. Mandog and Amac have just been given bigger roles. So instead of being a young team who is inconsistent but getting better...we are still the team losing games because of trash vets playing big roles at the expence of our prospects developing. Thats not rebuilding.

Who said that?

I've been saying for two years that 2019-20 is when this team will emerge as a serious contender.
Hextall's first draft was 2014, it takes most players 4-5 years from draft day to solid NHL starter, even the top picks rarely star out of the gate, they often struggle for 2-3 years even if they enter the NHL at 19.

Had Hextall tanked the team, expectations would be more reasonable, instead he managed to keep the team competitive while dumping almost every veteran off the 2013-14 team (G, V, Couts, Simmonds, Raffl, MacDonald are the only players remaining).

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Why on earth would he hit open market? He has two years left on his deal. Also I don't think for a second flyers would even go after him. I would be more inclined to believe they'll just promote lappy.

There have been rumors dating back to last season that Chicago may be ready for a new voice. They are currently outside of the Playoffs with 2 teams to hurdle to even get into a Wild Card spot. Stan Bowman is their GM is notoriously incompetent. I can totally see them relieving Coach Q of his duties.

Lappy is not going to get promoted. Let's not get carried away.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
There have been rumors dating back to last season that Chicago may be ready for a new voice. They are currently outside of the Playoffs with 2 teams to hurdle to even get into a Wild Card spot. Stan Bowman is their GM is notoriously incompetent. I can totally see them relieving Coach Q of his duties.

Lappy is not going to get promoted. Let's not get carried away.
With our group of talent and resources it would be a nice fit, I just dont see it happening. With how things go around here probably fricking rangers hire him.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Hakstol with more experience.

E8Wk8.gif

Except he had success at the NHL level with 2 different franchises.

2002-03Dallas StarsNHLHead8246171540.677Lost in round 2
2003-04Dallas StarsNHLHead8241261320.591Lost in round 1
2005-06Dallas StarsNHLHead825323060.683Lost in round 1
2006-07Dallas StarsNHLHead825025070.652Lost in round 1
2007-08Dallas StarsNHLHead824530070.591Lost in round 3
2008-09Dallas StarsNHLHead8236350110.506Out of Playoffs
2009-10Phoenix CoyotesNHLHead825025070.652Lost in round 1
2010-11Phoenix CoyotesNHLHead8243260130.604Lost in round 1
2011-12Phoenix CoyotesNHLHead8242270130.591Lost in round 3
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Honestly, I can't see him lasting after this season if he keeps Hak around. I want him to stay but I want him to realize how he's being so stubborn that it's hurting everyone.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I have never been a Torts fan. He has had 2 great goaltenders in 2 of his last 3 stops in Hank and Bob.
Is he a better coach then Hak? obviously. Just not a fan. His whole act rubs me the wrong way. See many of his post game pressers this year.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Except he had success at the NHL level with 2 different franchises.

2002-03Dallas StarsNHLHead8246171540.677Lost in round 2
2003-04Dallas StarsNHLHead8241261320.591Lost in round 1
2005-06Dallas StarsNHLHead825323060.683Lost in round 1
2006-07Dallas StarsNHLHead825025070.652Lost in round 1
2007-08Dallas StarsNHLHead824530070.591Lost in round 3
2008-09Dallas StarsNHLHead8236350110.506Out of Playoffs
2009-10Phoenix CoyotesNHLHead825025070.652Lost in round 1
2010-11Phoenix CoyotesNHLHead8243260130.604Lost in round 1
2011-12Phoenix CoyotesNHLHead8242270130.591Lost in round 3
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I just don't know what your obsession with him or Sutter is, Reb. They are exactly like Hakstol, just more competent at this level. I don't want to piss away even more years with them just repeating the same mistakes with an air of more professionalism. They're incredibly defense first, love skull f***ingly bland and boring hockey, really don't like to play kids, and don't mesh well with the speed and skill of today's game. Ken Hitchcock is an immensely successful coach too, who is much the same. I wouldn't want his lard chugging ass near this team either. Therrien has been a successful coach for two franchises. Want him? Vigneault, if he got fired?

We all want Hakstol gone, but there has to be more to it than just getting rid of him for some has-been Not Hakstol. Now, Quenneville or someone becomes more intriguing if they do something rash.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I have never been a Torts fan. He has had 2 great goaltenders in 2 of his last 3 stops in Hank and Bob.
Is he a better coach then Hak? obviously. Just not a fan. His whole act rubs me the wrong way. See many of his post game pressers this year.
Anyone who says they expected Torts to suddenly become a modern NHL coach who "gets it" is a liar.

His most recent work was a disaster and there was nothing to suggest he would change.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I just don't know what your obsession with him or Sutter is, Reb. They are exactly like Hakstol, just more competent at this level. I don't want to piss away even more years with them just repeating the same mistakes with an air of more professionalism. They're incredibly defense first, love skull ****ingly bland and boring hockey, really don't like to play kids, and don't mesh well with the speed and skill of today's game. Ken Hitchcock is an immensely successful coach too, who is much the same. I wouldn't want his lard chugging ass near this team either. Therrien has been a successful coach for two franchises. Want him? Vigneault, if he got fired?

We all want Hakstol gone, but there has to be more to it than just getting rid of him for some has-been Not Hakstol. Now, Quenneville or someone becomes more intriguing if they do something rash.

I'm intrigued by the idea of a once highly successful coach being able to adapt to the modern game to be successful once again. My interest in those guys isn't based on the type of hockey their teams played the last time they coached. Coaching 2 different teams in a row to 50 win seasons is not a small feat. Arizona was really dysfunctional by the time he left and I know he played his part in it too by being too involved in the management side, but it's possible that some time away from the game and coming into an organization with a GM like Hextall that..who knows..it could work. We know for a fact that Hakstol is not working and never will. I'm down for better options. I am even down for rolling the dice on Knoblauch this summer. I just want Hakstol gone this summer.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I cant see Sutter wanting to come back. He has accomplished everything he can. But I agree with Magua. If you hate chip and chase boring hockey now, you would hate it even more under Sutter.
Julien is another guy I want nowhere near this team and the kids. He has a bad history of dealing with kids the wrong way.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
It's tough to watch what Toronto or even to a lesser extent NJ are accomplishing with the same or even less talent on the roster.
Hextall must see that others are rebuilding quicker and better than the Flyers. Headcoach, special teams, team chemistry and leadership seem to be the difference makers in the given order.

and looking at vegas as well, that just makes me more steamed at hextall because he wont adjust or make any changes, that's why this team is playing so bad, there's no accountability. if there's no accountability, then it's a downward spiral. hextall should be smart enough to look at the players and see if they are progressing, if they are not, you make changes, you dont say you are a playoff team, if there's no progression.

hextall is a stubborn/delusional gm and he's ruining the prospects.

there's no fire in this team, that's a big problem.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Anyone who says they expected Torts to suddenly become a modern NHL coach who "gets it" is a liar.

His most recent work was a disaster and there was nothing to suggest he would change.

I dont get the fascination with him honestly. I get most want Hak gone including myself. But I would not be a fan of Torts being the next coach.
Just because he is better than what we have doesnt make it the right one.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Vegas has nothing to do with the Flyers, if Hextall wanted to emulate Vegas he'd do what Shero has done in Jersey, trade 3 2nd rd picks and throw in a couple 3rd and 4th rd picks and sign a couple free agents and add a bunch of guys in their mid- to late 20s who are competent third line winger types and fill out the lines. It's a quick and dirty rebuild, but it only works for a couple years, then some of those players become the current version of Read.

The other model is Toronto, really suck for five years, accumulate a bunch of top 10 picks, then bring in a successful coach, sign a few older free agents to mentor your young stars and away we go.

A case could be made that Hextall should have blown it up, tanked for a few years, but despite being competitive he has landed Provorov and Patrick and has a bunch of prospects with a chance to develop into top players. So he's not far behind where he'd have been if he deliberately tanked (probably couldn't have gotten much more in trades), and I'm not sure the TPTB would have signed off on a total tank.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
To change this team? Huh? How is he doing that other then making them worse.
I love stuff like this. When Homer was here he was ruining the team by trading away youth for veterans. People desperately wanted him out and to bring in a guy that wanted to get younger and shed older players. What did you think was going to happen? We were going to get a GM that would snap his fingers and all the sudden the team would be all 19-22 year olds competing for a Cup immediately? Or did you maybe think it would take a few years to clear out what he was brought in to clear out and to allow the young guys he was brought in to hoard and let develop you know...actually develop? Good grief remember how many times people were freaking out about patience? Whatever happened to that? We have a blueline with four guys (FOUR) under 25, and a fifth that everyone had a boner for the last two years who is only 27, plus two more in the system who were untouchable superstars to be up until this year. We have the #2 pick from this year's draft in the NHL, plus German Rubstov (another guy that everyone was in love with but maybe we forgot about him), plus Oskar Linblom who is another guy that seems to be lost in all this, plus Vorovbyov who was on everyone's list leading in to this year, plus a thousand goalies that are high end prospects, plus all the cap space in the world. I feel like I am living in bizarro world right now. For five years or whatever it was meltdown after meltdown about how awful Homer was and how we needed to hoard young players and draft picks and not waste money on veterans or UFAs or trade anyone under the age of 25 and that was the model that would win us a Cup. Now people are mad that they have GM that is doing EXACTLY WHAT THEY WANTED.

We have a bad coach. No argument there. Hextall should (and probably will) fire him at some time in the near future. I understand that you guys only want a GM that only does every single move that you want him to do (or that your favorite hockey blog tweets about), but Hextall is doing exactly what he was brought in to do which is also exactly what everyone on this damn board wanted him to do. I know Philly fans love to complain but you guys are the worst.

/rant

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I love stuff like this. When Homer was here he was ruining the team by trading away youth for veterans. People desperately wanted him out and to bring in a guy that wanted to get younger and shed older players. What did you think was going to happen? We were going to get a GM that would snap his fingers and all the sudden the team would be all 19-22 year olds competing for a Cup immediately? Or did you maybe think it would take a few years to clear out what he was brought in to clear out and to allow the young guys he was brought in to hoard and let develop you know...actually develop? Good grief remember how many times people were freaking out about patience? Whatever happened to that? We have a blueline with four guys (FOUR) under 25, and a fifth that everyone had a ***** for the last two years who is only 27, plus two more in the system who were untouchable superstars to be up until this year. We have the #2 pick from this year's draft in the NHL, plus German Rubstov (another guy that everyone was in love with but maybe we forgot about him), plus Oskar Linblom who is another guy that seems to be lost in all this, plus Vorovbyov who was on everyone's list leading in to this year, plus a thousand goalies that are high end prospects, plus all the cap space in the world. I feel like I am living in bizarro world right now. For five years or whatever it was meltdown after meltdown about how awful Homer was and how we needed to hoard young players and draft picks and not waste money on veterans or UFAs or trade anyone under the age of 25 and that was the model that would win us a Cup. Now people are mad that they have GM that is doing EXACTLY WHAT THEY WANTED.

We have a bad coach. No argument there. Hextall should (and probably will) fire him at some time in the near future. I understand that you guys only want a GM that only does every single move that you want him to do (or that your favorite hockey blog tweets about), but Hextall is doing exactly what he was brought in to do which is also exactly what everyone on this damn board wanted him to do. I know Philly fans love to complain but you guys are the worst.

/rant

Lmao, I thought you were referring to Hakstol, not Hextall. Sorry that you typed that entire rant out based on my misunderstanding.

Reactions: DrinkFightFlyers

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Hextall detailed his plan when he was hired. Management won't fire him until they can evaluate that plan in its entirety. Next season may be still too early. Having said that, holding on the Hak isn't going to help.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad