Hextall's job if we dont make the playoffs in 18-19?

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Flyers ownership seems to like having former players as GMs...with less than middling results. Yes Hextall's job should be on the line. Unfortunately in business, guys who hire, don't like to fire the who they hired. It shows you made a mistake.
That hiring of Hakstol was absolutely foolish. An NHL head coach, needs to know the league and/or his organization. Logic would say the best NHL has experience as NHL coach or in the AHL. Having an NCAA coach, as good as he might be, just doesn't make sense. Hakstol had to much to learn about the NHL, the different teams, and his own team. Impossible to do. He was hired as a development coach, a stint in the AHL would have been more appropriate.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Flyers ownership seems to like having former players as GMs...with less than middling results. Yes Hextall's job should be on the line. Unfortunately in business, guys who hire, don't like to fire the who they hired. It shows you made a mistake.
That hiring of Hakstol was absolutely foolish. An NHL head coach, needs to know the league and/or his organization. Logic would say the best NHL has experience as NHL coach or in the AHL. Having an NCAA coach, as good as he might be, just doesn't make sense. Hakstol had to much to learn about the NHL, the different teams, and his own team. Impossible to do. He was hired as a development coach, a stint in the AHL would have been more appropriate.
He wasn't going to leave UND for an AHL job. That was the problem. It is a little odd that the GM that preaches patience and development hired a college coach with no NHL experience to jump right into the league.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He wasn't going to leave UND for an AHL job. That was the problem. It is a little odd that the GM that preaches patience and development hired a college coach with no NHL experience to jump right into the league.

He felt he was too good for an AHL job. Didnt wanna work his way up. The arrogant f***.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He felt he was too good for an AHL job. Didnt wanna work his way up. The arrogant ****.
Hard to blame someone for not turning down a 5/6 year contract worth 2 million per. UND is probably the best coaching gig in the country. That's on Hextall.

Reactions: tucson83

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
It's tough to watch what Toronto or even to a lesser extent NJ are accomplishing with the same or even less talent on the roster.
Hextall must see that others are rebuilding quicker and better than the Flyers. Headcoach, special teams, team chemistry and leadership seem to be the difference makers in the given order.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I know NCAA coaching money is much higher in basketball and football. But the still relates to the Hakstol situation.
Control over unpaid kids compared to men making millions.
Tougher schedule
Control over who is on your teams compared what the GM wants and what professional contracts dictates.
A constant four year turnover makes the coach and his recruiting almost completely in charge. Just not that way in professional sports.

As we have seen, many college coaches, have been unsuccessful on the pro level. They can't or don't want to adjust their new duties and status. In college, you're" the man" in the program. In pro sports, you're secondary to many of the players.

Sorta of a side note. The Leafs did something different than most teams when they hired Babcock. First an unheard eight year contract, and they pay him abut 7 m a year, more than any player on the team (currently).
I thought it gave the young team, a sense of permanence. Almost like a college coach. When a player is drafted now, and may not be in the NHL for four years, he can be pretty sure Babcock will still be his coach. So any thing Babcock says to him in mini camp or leading up the NHL, has more importance because he is head coach and will be this players head coach in the future. Sorta like recruiting and signing a player out of high school and going to a college program. You probably well know who your head coach will be.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I don't think he's gone next year regardless of what happens. He was hired to change this team and he's doing that. It wouldn't make a lot of sense to hire someone else who is going to trade away the young guys for veterans and sign UFAs when Hextall was brought in to presumably do the opposite.

Reactions: Tripod

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
It's tough to watch what Toronto or even to a lesser extent NJ are accomplishing with the same or even less talent on the roster.
Hextall must see that others are rebuilding quicker and better than the Flyers. Headcoach, special teams, team chemistry and leadership seem to be the difference makers in the given order.

Toronto without Matthews isn't accomplishing squat even with Babcock. We don't have anyone even close to as good as him on the roster. They also have a much deeper forward group than we do.

I think Jersey changed their fortunes with the Hall/Larrson fleecing. Hall is an exceptional player. I watched several of their games and he looks renewed after getting over leaving McJesus. They also have an excellent goalie that constantly bails them out. Johansen and Vatanen were really good trades. Shero is an excellent GM but Jersey hasn't really drafted that well (dacha/Mcleod).

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Hall was always really ******** good. He’s had one year (2013-14) in 8 where he was anything short of dominant.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Hakstol is Hextall's pick - if it comes from above, they both go. Seems like Hextall might have too much of an ego to fire Hakstol since he's his "guy"
Hextall is not going to fire Hak without a replacement. Firing him now means replacing him with and equally inexperienced PP coach or an AHL coach that no one wants as our NHL coach.

Reactions: Striiker

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
Hextall is not going to fire Hak without a replacement. Firing him now means replacing him with and equally inexperienced PP coach or an AHL coach that no one wants as our NHL coach.

Keenan is available. Not saying he's MYYYY pick but there are certainly coaches out there with NHL experience to pick. He could get behind the bench too - like Lou used to do in his NJ days. There are options, he won't take them because of his ego.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don't think he's gone next year regardless of what happens. He was hired to change this team and he's doing that. It wouldn't make a lot of sense to hire someone else who is going to trade away the young guys for veterans and sign UFAs when Hextall was brought in to presumably do the opposite.

To change this team? Huh? How is he doing that other then making them worse.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Keenan is available. Not saying he's MYYYY pick but there are certainly coaches out there with NHL experience to pick. He could get behind the bench too - like Lou used to do in his NJ days. There are options, he won't take them because of his ego.
He won't make a change just to make a change. He will only do so if he thinks it's the right change and the right replacement. And that guy likely isn't unemployed right now.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Toronto without Matthews isn't accomplishing squat even with Babcock. We don't have anyone even close to as good as him on the roster. They also have a much deeper forward group than we do.

I think Jersey changed their fortunes with the Hall/Larrson fleecing. Hall is an exceptional player. I watched several of their games and he looks renewed after getting over leaving McJesus. They also have an excellent goalie that constantly bails them out. Johansen and Vatanen were really good trades. Shero is an excellent GM but Jersey hasn't really drafted that well (dacha/Mcleod).

They also drafted Jesper Bratt and signed Will Butcher. Both having huge impacts.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
People quickly forget the crap show that Hextall took over in talent through the pipeline and terrible contracts. He has built one of the best prospect groups in the entire league while also getting rid of bad contracts and in just a few more seasons the Flyers could be a true contender for years to come. Signing Hak I thought was a good idea because a winning college head coach I thought would be good with younger players but he is in fact the opposite. I would say, Hextall is looking to let Hak finish the season (if there is no meltdown) and then take the higher draft pick in a great draft and then he can sign whichever coach he wants in the off-season. You give this Flyers team a good coach and they are easily a playoff team and will be a contender soon.

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad