News Article: Hextall Will Use Analytics to Evaluate Players

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I'd be super curious what these "professional" stats were. There are GMs out there that do use "Johnny fan" stats. I cant remember which teams but the past year a few GMs and coaches came out saying they use it.

I do hope it's more than marginal. As it has been saying statistics is starting become more of a common in the NHL.

I would guess actual possession rather the bloggers' corsi (if soccer can do it, so can hockey) and scoring chances to start, possibly zone entries as well. I am pro stats, there is no arguing against things like offensive zone starts and finishes, so the more the merrier.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I would guess actual possession rather the bloggers' corsi (if soccer can do it, so can hockey) and scoring chances to start, possibly zone entries as well. I am pro stats, there is no arguing against things like offensive zone starts and finishes, so the more the merrier.

I bet they have pass completion/reception percentages as well.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I was actually reading the other day how the NHL is trying to implement a tracking system similar to the NBA to know where the player is at all times. However they're apparently having trouble with it because of the small puck, the faster game speed, & the frequency of players coming on & off the ice.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
So Vinny is gone? :laugh:

Seriously though...

Couturier, Schenn, Read and Simmonds were all ~even or + Corsi players without Vinny this year, but when they played with him Vinny dragged them all under par.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Time will tell. Given that Lecavalier, Grossmann, and MacDonald are all on terrible contracts, it's going to take some time and/or creativity to put a complete roster together based on whatever standards Hextall has.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
So MacDonald will be traded at the draft?

Time will tell. Given that Lecavalier, Grossmann, and MacDonald are all on terrible contracts, it's going to take some time and/or creativity to put a complete roster together based on whatever standards Hextall has.
Given that MacDonald's contract isn't the best and that he just got signed, I'm having a hard time believing he gets traded anytime soon.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Given that MacDonald's contract isn't the best and that he just got signed, I'm having a hard time believing he gets traded anytime soon.

Someone posted his thoughts on it when he was hired. He basically said he likes MacDonald as player but admitted the contract wasn't ideal but also said that's price you have to pay with the open market.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
It was obvious analytics was alien to Holmgren and so was basic math given some of his contract awards.

Flyers probably saw how the Sixers ownership and Hinkie emphasized its usefulness and finally realized that they had to get with the times...

39 years and hopefully not too much more counting...

Random Forest

May 12, 2010

Grossmann has two more years left at 3.5m. That is hardly terrible. Especially if his game rebounds.

MadFerIt95*

It was obvious analytics was alien to Holmgren and so was basic math given some of his contract awards.

Flyers probably saw how the Sixers ownership and Hinkie emphasized its usefulness and finally realized that they had to get with the times...

All Hinkie and the 76ers have done was tank to get high draft picks.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
All Hinkie and the 76ers have done was tank to get high draft picks.

Um..no. you neglect last year's draft and the shrewd moves/trades he made in that draft to position themselves with picks in this draft. Getting Noel and MCW had nothing to do with the tank. Give credit where it is due. Also..watch the draft. I'm sure he will continue to make some smart decisions.

kyuss

Wings make our ding-dings sing.
May 28, 2012

Please explain to me how the Sixers have utilized any statistic other than the draft lottery percentages to better their team. If you delude yourself into believing that you've made that explanation, please convert all your NBA stats to NHL stats, show all work, and most importantly show relevance to the other league.

If anyone could explain to me which statistic, advanced or not, tells you something about an NHL player you've watched that you couldn't observe by watching that player, I'd feel deeply indebted.

I feel the "Moneyball" approach doesn't work in the NHL. Hockey is far too fast and fluid to isolate one player inside a completely team game, but, wasn't the whole idea of using Sabremetrics to find players who were unattractive to other teams (cheap players) who would contribute to an innovative system (an old system called small ball) to win games for a cash-strapped teams? The Flyers can pay stars; they don't need tricks to win games with four lines of fourth round draft picks. Analytics, advanced stats, modern stats, any stats are only going to help if you know how to apply them.

If Hextall has some new approach, and stats get him there, great. If he's constructing a possession team based on the alternative stats we see here often, then, welcome back to "too many muckers and grinders" land.

kyuss

May 28, 2012
It's nice to hear about this direction for the Flyers. I love what the Sixers and Eagles are doing also. The Phillies still need to wake up though.

This line of thinking from fellow Philadelphia sports fans aggravates me more than an atomic hemorrhoid. The Sixers and and Eagles hit rock bottom after doing the wrong things for a decade. Digging yourself out of the bottom of a hole isn't the right direction--it's the only direction.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
This line of thinking from fellow Philadelphia sports fans aggravates me more than an atomic hemorrhoid.The Sixers and and Eagles hit rock bottom after doing the wrong things for a decade.

The Eagles had a lot of success the 10 years before that 4-12 season, so I'm not sure what the hell you're talking about there. I'll give you the Sixers though. Previous ownership was satisfied with mediocrity for a decade. Right now it's very early in the plan, but It's awesome what Harris, Hinkie, and Brown have done since 2013. They are committed to a long term plan to make the Sixers a consistently great team. Like I said earlier: they are not going to be satisfied with mediocrity, they will not take shortcuts.

Digging yourself out of the bottom of a hole isn't the right direction--it's the only direction.

Chip Kelly, Howie Roseman, Brett Brown, Josh Harris, and Sam Hinkie are getting out of holes that their predecessors dug, and the're doing a tremendous job so far.

kyuss

May 28, 2012
The Flyers had the same or better success over the past 40 years than either team.

The Eagles have a horrible track record over the past few years on and off the field. Call me when they do something other than win a weak division. BTW, Things could get real ugly real fast next season. Chip could get smacked around, and if there's an owner who should GTFO, it's Laurie.

If you don't understand the destruction Andy Reid caused the Eagles by hanging around too long at this point, no one will be able to explain it to you. The man oozed character flaw throughout the organization to the point that dead bodies with his DNA showed up at training camp with illegal PED's surrounding him.

None of this has anything to do with stats. Where's the stats behind stats?

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
Please explain to me how the Sixers have utilized any statistic other than the draft lottery percentages to better their team.

None of this has anything to do with stats. Where's the stats behind stats?

Advanced stats are used to improve decision making. They are not the be all end all of decision making.

Use this link. Click on Team/Player Evaluation Metics to see some of tools analytically driven NBA teams use.

http://www.nbastuffer.com/component/option,com_glossary/Itemid,90/

Last edited:

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Advanced stats are used to improve decision making. They are not the be all end all of decision making.

This ^

Hextall even said himself it is something that should be considered (an enhancement/tool) but it's not going to be replacement to the eye test especially considering the Flyers have done well eyeing talent and drafting but lousy at developing or keeping their talent...mainly at D and G.

Anyway..here is a pretty good article from the New Yorker

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/sportingscene/2013/05/sam-hinkie-advanced-stats-76ers.html

kyuss

May 28, 2012
That is a good read, FP, and that is a useful site MRxBlack, but my point was that the Sixers haven't improved yet, so they don't really illustrate the good use of analytics. If you like numbers, and that's why you think their FO is going in the right direction, then cheers. We just don't know if they're on a path to some winning seasons.

My other point regarding the Sixers was that, even if the use of analytics was essential to success in the NBA, it wouldn't translate to the NHL. I think its much easier to get good data in the other sports.

I certainly agree statistical analysis is a tool, I just don't see anything revolutionary happening in hockey. Some people are acting as if Hextall is introducing fire to a bunch of cavemen. I don't doubt the Flyers staff has analyzed their team and players in many ways including statistically.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Not awful, but the Flyers have way too much money tied up in the defense.

I find his contract pretty bad. I like the guy, but I'm on capgeek all the time -- I like seeing how other teams are handling the cap--and I can't believe what teams pay for what a guy like Grossmann brings (hint: a lot less.) I just like him, if he can rebound, at 1 million or 1.5 million per. He's about as 1-way as a defenseman can get.

Teams with FAR superior defenses pay so much less.

Granted, it is skewed a bit by overpaying Kimmo and Pronger's remaining dollars, but 4 for Mez? 3.5 for Grossman? 3.6 for Schenn? 5 for Mac and 5.25 for Streit -- both marginal overpayments.

The Schenn family motto should be "Consistently Inconsistent." Until either can prove they can put in a strong 82 game season, my pockets would be tight with them. They're both young, so it's a little expected, but they don't get the money consistent players get until they round out.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
Eagles, Sixers, and now Flyers have all moved towards statistical analysis, yet the guy that is in the one sport where this stuff indisputably works, and isn't even that complicated, refuses to acknowledge even the most basic of premises...like that getting on base is good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad