News Article: Hextall Will Use Analytics to Evaluate Players

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
About time.

http://broadstreetbuzz.com/2014/05/22/ron-hextall-and-analytics

Like it or not, analytics are here to stay in the NHL and Ron Hextall is bringing them to the Philadelphia Flyers. Hextall is a smart executive and plans on building from within, a deviation from the normal course of action the Flyers have taken.

Part of his vision is using analytics to determine the worth of current and future players.

Hextall on analytics: “That’s where we’re going. It’s going to be a huge part of what we do going forward"

-DNFlyers

Seems like From Hexy's quote, Homer didnt use statistics as much as Hexy will. I think this is a great step in the right direction.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I hope so, because it is getting hard to defend 40 years of failing.

Lol, never change.

This is good though, even if they only use them as a secondary tool for evaluating players.

What will be annoying is when HF starts destroying Hextall for not immediately trading a guy because he went through a two week stretch of poor Corsi numbers.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Meh, I doubt we see any noticeable difference in the players we are targeting based solely on advanced metrics.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Meh, I doubt we see any noticeable difference in the players we are targeting based solely on advanced metrics.

Seriously? I 100% disagree with this... The guys Homer used to sign were (most likely) based off the eye test. You dont think instead of signing the guy who statistically did well against good competition will get signed over the guy who statistically showed he did not against similar competition. Really hope your wrong about that.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006

The possession numbers will almost certainly get better if Hextall starts using advanced stats as part of the player selection process.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Seriously? I 100% disagree with this... The guys Homer used to sign were (most likely) based off the eye test. You dont think instead of signing the guy who statistically did well against good competition will get signed over the guy who statistically showed he did not against similar competition. Really hope your wrong about that.

We'll see. I know people around here love these advanced stats, but at the end of the day they only can tell you so much. Not to mention that short of Hextall specifically stating it, when a guy is signed/drafted/otherwise acquired it will be impossible to say that the guy was chosen based on advanced metrics and that if those stats were not involved they would have taken someone else.

I'm sure decisions will be made based on these stats or at least factor into decisions, but it won't be something where you can point and say, "Damn, good thing he read those CORSI stats and picked PLAYER X instead of PLAYER Y."

The possession numbers will almost certainly get better if Hextall starts using advanced stats as part of the player selection process.

Perhaps. I'm not saying it won't help or it won't improve the way the team scouts and acquires players, I'm just saying it isn't going to be some crazy change where the team is signing no-name guys because of a high CORSI number rather than signing someone else on a regular basis. It may happen from time to time, but I don't think we are going to see some huge shift in what players the Flyers are going to pursue.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Well, duh. They're not going to build a team based soley on advanced stats. It'll be just part of the player evaluation process. If Homer wasn't using them in even a supplemental role, then he's pretty foolish.

DrHamburg

Mar 12, 2009
New York

You are spot on. Why do you think Shelley was signed to the Flyers? He played well against them and scored 2 goals in 1 game vs the Flyers. And homer had to have certain things on his team, such as goons (see Rosehill, Rinaldo, drafting goons). If he can get rid of Vinny and the rest of the negative 4th liners Berube got to roll out every game I would be so happy.

Also, this probably means saying goodbye to Grossmann. I think he gets shipped out well before Luke. You can almost get similar play from Lauridsen as grossmann at 3 million cheaper.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Well, duh. They're not going to build a team based soley on advanced stats. It'll be just part of the player evaluation process. If Homer wasn't using them in even a supplemental role, then he's pretty foolish.

You're right. And he sure did.

But at the moment everything Hextall says is like the invention of the wheel.

Codith

Aug 31, 2010
Hopefully this means that Hexy starts the process of trimming the fat off the roster, and stops the need for signing washed up players. If that is the case then it can only be a positive transition.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
On the press conference day, Hex said it was another tool. He might use it more than Homer, but the difference might be marginal. Flyers have said before they keep their own stats. Those are probably the ones they use for analytics rather than those Johnny fan uses to try and justify their opinion being better than a professional.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
On the press conference day, Hex said it was another tool. He might use it more than Homer, but the difference might be marginal. Flyers have said before they keep their own stats. Those are probably the ones they use for analytics rather than those Johnny fan uses to try and justify their opinion being better than a professional.

I'd be super curious what these "professional" stats were. There are GMs out there that do use "Johnny fan" stats. I cant remember which teams but the past year a few GMs and coaches came out saying they use it.

I do hope it's more than marginal. As it has been saying statistics is starting become more of a common in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad