Here's why JC Lajoie is the worst Sports guy in Montréal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009
I'm a Canadian, Quebecer and a Montrealer (actually Lavalois)

what's wrong with calling your self all that?

In the end...

a05dcf3e391591a3c021210e9f17fce27d795f8c505d694018616774c0673265.jpg

Jack Bourdain

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 25, 2008
Racism stems from fear and misunderstanding of the "other". I've been victim of racism a few times in Montreal, but more often then not, the people were visibly ignorant and you could see their basis for saying/doing was misguided. I really don't get phased by that, as people like that will always be around and they have the misfortune of living life with such a sad state of mind.

Live free, and let live.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Well only by technicality. The same way the Quebecois are Canadian by viture of being born in Canada. That doesn't mean they feel or consider themselves Canadian. I would easily venture that this applies to a lot of people in Quebec. I don't see why the same can't apply to minorities living in Quebec. Yeah, we're Quebeckers by virtue of being born here, but that doesn't mean we feel Quebecois or identify with its national identity.

The anglo-saxon elite you speak of comprise barely 0.8% of the population and the vast majority of them are much much much older. I would stop while you are ahead since you keep digging yourself further into a hole.

You were born and raised in this very province man. What else are you if you're not a Québecois? ;)

From my perspective, over 60% of the population refer to themselves as Québécois before referring to themselves as Canadians. You can prefer not to be labeled as such Andy, but you are one of us my friend :)

I just say I'm a quebecer to any Quebecois and they usually laugh in my face. It breaks the ice and then I get taken out of the ''elitist anglo square head'' category.

That's the way to go to be honest. There's an awkwardness between the 'two solitudes' in Québec, and the only way to make it go away is to talk to each other. Most Francophones will go in awe if an Anglo inquires them in French, even for just a couple of words.

Last edited:

Hockey Joe

Dec 18, 2007
Montreal
I once saw a poll where about 70% (give or take 5-10) of quebecers admired to be racist. For one, that stat warmed my heart that they knew they were. And two, scared me a bit...

So I'm not surprised one bit...

I've seen a study that showed the opposite. Something like 24% in Quebec and 25% for the rest of Canada.

And pointing out the problems of Islam isn't racist. Religion is not race.

Capitaine Subban*

You telling me I'm one of you doesn't make it so.

:shakehead
Now i feel bad for u,living within the enemy... Ill pray for you that no barbarian quebecois dare to speak to u in french near Pointe aux Trembles. God bless ur soul my fellow non-quebecker.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Where do you take such an outrageous figure from.

I don't recall the most recent source. I believe it can be found in Annick Germain and Damaris Rose, Montréal: The Quest for a Metropolis. Great Book. I will get back to you on this one by tomorrow.

For 2001, only 73900 anglophones self identified as being of British origin. In 2001, the Quebec population was 7,2 million give or take. Anglos of british descent would be around 1.03% of Quebec's total population.

http://www.ocol-clo.gc.ca/html/stu_etu_evolution_112004_6_e.php

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Is Lajoie the franco Don Cherry, but more loathsome and less intelligent?

LajoieGrosPleinDeM.jpg

Peasoup

May 7, 2013
I don't recall the most recent source. I believe it can be found in Annick Germain and Damaris Rose, Montréal: The Quest for a Metropolis. Great Book. I will get back to you on this one by tomorrow.

For 2001, only 73900 anglophones self identified as being of British origin. In 2001, the Quebec population was 7,2 million give or take. Anglos of british descent would be around 1.03% of Quebec's total population.

http://www.ocol-clo.gc.ca/html/stu_etu_evolution_112004_6_e.php

I don't believe this could possibly be accurate. In fact, it's got to be very, very wrong. The real figure should be something at LEAST ten times that, I'd wager.. and I feel I'm being conservative here.

Your numbers are already massively inferior to what people have reported to Stats Canada in their censuses:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec#Demographics

As you can see, there should be at least 245k English folks, 200K Scottish. That doesn't mean 445k British however as people are allowed to select multiple ethnicities.

But add to this a necessarily significant part of those that likely only answered 'Canadian' (amongst the 4.5 millions that did...) and left out their British ancestry. If you don't think that is many people, just take a look at those that answered 'French'. I'm sure you don't think only 29% of the Quebec population has French ancestry. People simply prefered answering 'Canadian'. There's also a lot of people that just don't know what their ancestry is made of.

There certainly are way more than under 100k people with British ancestry in Quebec.

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
First, why wouldn't those numbers be accurate? They come directly from the office of the commissioner of language.

10 times as much? That's not conservative, that's an exaggeration. Ten times 73900 is 739,000. That would mean that 10% of Quebec's population would be of old-stock British orign, which makes 0 sense. The anglophone population is only between 8-13% depending on whether you use Mother Tongue (8%) or as First Language spoken (13%). Assuming that ethnic origin tells us about language spoken, your estimation would mean that there are more British anglophones than anglophones who speak English as their mother tongue. That makes 0 sense.

Those numbers come from stats cans website...http://www12.statcan.ca/census-rece...&StartRec=1&Sort=3&Display=All&CSDFilter=5000

You make the false assumption that the Scottish = the British anglophones that once controlled Montreal and Quebec economically. This is not the case, the anglophones that were the Elites of Quebec were of British Descent from England. The 200k Scottish has nothing to with them.

You make the false assumption that the English identification automatically = old-stock British. Another reason why your estimations are wonky is that if I take the population of those who identified as English, Scottish and Irish, that would give me 12.2% of Quebec's population. That number is almost as high as the total amount of Anglophones in the province! That makes no sense considering that we know that the anglophone population is much more diverse than that.

As for your claim that a significant portion of British anglos identified as Canadian, I don't know, what is significant? Anglophones only consitute around 8-13% depending on method, so I'm not sure Brits anglophones can be a significant amount of anything. I would be confident in saying that a significant amount of the Canadian identification probably comes from the francophone Quebecois population, considering that only 29% of the survey identified as french and another 2% as Quebecois. The French and Quebecois identification means that only 31% of the population would be francophones of French Canadian descent (maybe not even because you can still be French from France) which we know is much greater than that. The only other option for them is the Canadian option.

Lastly, there is final flaw where you are assuming that ethnic origin tells us anything about language spoken. For instance, many francophone Quebeckers have Irish roots, but no longer speak English and wouldn't identify as anglophone. To assume language identification in the province from ethnic origin is a flawed. My link from the language commissioner does the actual opposite by breaking down the anglophone community by ethnicity as opposed to assuming language from ethnicity.

Umm, i think I made it clear that I was speaking of old-stock british anglophones (that is what part of the anglophone population is still remnants of old-stock Brits from English) in the post you original had issues. Anglophone is not an ethnicity, it's a marker of language spoken and therefore can be composed of multiple ethnicities.

I don't want to go in the debate, but this statement is wrong. Scottish montrealers were definitely part of the anglophone elites. Examples such as James McGill, Simon MacTavish, John Redpath and Henry Morgan clearly illustrate the influence of scottish montrealers.

One of the biggest example is Donald Alexander Smith a fur trader, financier, railroad baron and politician. He was granted the tittle of Baron Strathcona and Mount Royal.

Here's the link :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scots-Quebecer

Last edited:

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I don't want to go in the debate, but this statement is wrong. Scottish montrealers were definitely part of the anglophone elites. Examples such as James McGill, Simon MacTavish, John Redpath and Henry Morgan clearly illustrate the influence of scottish montrealers.

One of the biggest example is Donald Alexander Smith a fur trader, financier, railroad baron and politician. He was granted the tittle of Baron Strathcona and Mount Royal.

Here's the link :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scots-Quebecer

Thanks for the correction. I never came across that in the literature which always refers to British Anglo Elites from England.

Thanks Forsead!

Newhabfan

Sep 3, 2008
Montreal
Let's cool down a bit all these talks about racism. I'm an immigrant in Quebec, work in French, post in English and so on. I was extremely well received by the french speaking population and they never did anything openly discriminating against me.

See, from a social cognition point of view, our brain is built with a racism inducing mechanism. We tend to build our self concept by the groups we belong, and start thinking that the "out group" is not as good as the "in group". Thinking that can lead you to acting it - like hiring people that belong to your group (be it race, country, gender, team you cheer for etc).

It's resource management for the brain to think in stereotypes. All blondes are stupid. All Russian players are floaters. All euro players are soft.

We all feel and think (deep inside) that our group is better. It takes conscious effort not to act based on those stereotypes and I find that people in Canada and in Quebec do a commendable effort not to let these thoughts and feelings translate into behaviors. I've been in many places around the world and I know what I'm talking about.

However, there are people (like this Lajoie) who try to make some profit from channeling those basic feelings and thoughts. But they don't last for long, since ultimately people are wise enough to realize the truth.

So ... we are all built with racism potential but most of us choose not to act racist.

RonFournier

Dec 17, 2006
Does this really surprise you?? Look at how nuts some people went just over hiring an interim anglo coach. A lot of people are racists.

Québécois are more open on these types of debates, because we openly reject the concept of multiculturalism and constantly have debates on the protection of our language and culture. On the other hand, there are way less hate crimes here than in the ROC, where being against multiculturalism is a synonym of being racist. So the fact that we constantly have debates on these issues gives us a racist image in the eyes of anglo-canadian medias who don't (want to) understand us, while the ROC seems more hypocritical on these questions: they don't want to talk about it but the police stats on hate crimes speak for themselves.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
Lol at all that political talk without even one mod coming in this one.

tumblr_inline_n80plnN1sl1r0zdkr.gif

I think the purpose of this thread has run its course. We are all in agreement that JC Lajoie is a poo-canoe and now the discussion has derailed into political talk, as Mrb1p so graciously pointed out. Time to shut 'er down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad