Here is my mock 2011 draft

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
1. Edmonton Oilers - Adam Larsson - D – Skelleftea
Edmonton has all the young offensive weapons in the world, perfect time for them to add a future number 1 d-man who I think is the top talent in the draft anyway, with his size and skill I think this guy has higher upside than Hedman, too see him play despite the points this year, he is great on the back end and light years ahead of a guy his age, too see him play live you see just how skilled the guy is, it is hard these days to find a guy with size and skill like this and it would be hard to let such a player fall.

2. Ottawa Senators – Sean Couturier - C – Drummondville
People have this guy sliding too far from limited views just on tv, this guy is a major talent he is a great shooter and dominates in the offensive end, he has extremely good hands and is very smart with a great shot and he has great character too and all around game, for Ottawa he is the guy they need and would work well with a guy like Spezza.

3. Colorado Avalanche – Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - C - Red Deer
This guy is a great offensive weapon, he might need another year in the WHL to get stronger, but he is a great fit for Colorado, he is a great playmaker and Duchene a great scorer could be a future tandom in the making.

4. Florida Panthers – Gabriel Landeskog - LW – Kitchener
How can you pass this guy up at 4th he is tough, gritty, great character, he is a good shooter, this talent you can not pass up, he is a future Mike Richards type of player and those are hard to come by.

5. NY. Islanders - Jonathan Huberdeau - C - Saint-John
Very exciting player and with John Tavares, Niederreiter, Petrov, Okposo and Bailey the Islanders could add a very strong offense for the future. I think this guy has the potential to be a star in the NHL with the ability to bring fans out of their seats.

6. New Jersey Devils – Dougie Hamilton - D – Niagara
Hamilton is a Jersey player, hits, great at both ends of the rink and very positional on the ice, this guy could start helping bring Jersey defense to a wall again in the future, because I think he is that good actually, they need a replacement for Scott Stevens, and Hamilton plays an all around game and is physical, leads to a great start.

7. Atlanta Trashers – Ryan Murphy - D – Kitchener
This guy is an offensive dynamo from the backend and is just the type of guy Atlanta is going to need to help create with Kane, Burmistrov, Little, and other good young forwards, also he will help with Bogosaine on the back end.

8. Boston Bruins - Duncan Siemens - D – Saskatoon
Boston has a lot of good young forwards, and at this point they could take Strome and have a log jam or trade bate for the future, but I think they go for Siemens, he is what Boston needs, gritty, good two way defender with a high skill level, with a lot of top forwards already you should take the best player available and boston has a chance to decide at this point with Strome or Siemens IMO.

9. St.Louis Blues – Ryan Strome - C – Niagara
How could the Blues watch this guy fall even more and for no reason really, Strome could get taken before this but any of the guys ahead of him could go anywhere after the top 4 guys in the draft, Blues get a guy who is beyond extremely offensively gifted.

10. Columbus Blue Jackets – David Musil – D – Vancouver
I think this guy is going to be a great defensive d-man, and someone Columbus needs in the future, already with a strong young offensive team, Musil is a guy who will help keep the puck out of the net and be a leader for the team.

11. Carolina Hurricanes – Mika Zibanejad - C – Djurgarden
With Skinner, Zibanejad could be the next great young player in the system, his abilities are under the rader and in my opinion he is one of the best talents in the draft, he is such a fast skater, has good size, amazing shooter and is a great worker, he is very exciting to watch and shows a great passion for the game, he could be a great future player.

12. NY. Rangers – Matthew Puempel - LW – Peterborough
The Rangers need some good young forwards, and Puempel I am a big fan of, and I think he will still go pretty high though he had injury season. This guy if he played the whole year might have been a top 8 overall pick and I think the Rangers could take a chance on a guy like this because his scoring is elite.

13. Buffalo Sabres – Tyler Biggs - RW – USNTDP
This guy fits the mold of players Buffalo likes, he has good size, excellent hands, gritty, good shot, responsible player he has it all and is going to be a solid 2nd line player in the future.

14. Minnesota Wild - Joel Armia - RW – Assat
This guy brings size, shooting and good offensive skills, he will be a great player down the road for any team who picks him and Minnesota is good with Finish players with Granlund, Haula and Koivu already in the mix it could make Armia makea good transition.

15. Ottawa Senators - Mark Mcneill - C - Prince Albert
This guy is a guy Ottawa could really use, he is big and super strong, physical, able to fight with the best of them, he is good with and without the puck, goes to the net, gritty, this guy does it all, his skating is getting a lot better and when he adds more speed and strength he is going to be a Monster on the ice.

16. Anaheim Ducks – Brandon Saad - C – Saginaw
He is an Anaheim player, he is falling on some teams list, but I know Anaheim has been watching this guy, he is strong, physical, he has all the tools and imo it is like the old saying, all the tools but no toolbox yet, this guy has the talent of a Keith Primeau but he does not use his assets to his advantage yet.

17. Calgary Flames – Michael St. Croix – F – Edmonton
I like this player a lot, and I think he is what Calgary needs, St Croix is exciting, excellent playmaker, good scorer, he is doing it all in Edmonton and does not get the recognition he deserves for the draft, this guy could really help Calgary in the future with his offensive ability.

18. Phoenix Coyotes – Ty Rattie – F – Portland
Phoenix needs more offensive prospects, Rattie could be that guy, a explosive puck handler and deadly scorer this guy is exciting and skilled and could be a great player in the future for any team.

19. Edmonton Oilers – Dmitrij Jaskin - RW – Slavia
Edmonton is going to pick a player who is best fit for this spot, they have suck a prospect rich system and bright future they can take chances and Jaskin has the talent to be a star in the making, when all is said and done he could very well turn out to be a better player than most ahead of him and with Edmontons rich system they can bring him along slow and get him use to the NA style game and work with him which could be great for him in the future.

20. Chicago Blackhawks - Maxim Shalunov—Forward—Traktor MHL
They usually do not take Russians but IMO with all the young talent they have they have the ability to make a gamble pick and if it worked out this guy could be a ticket for them, he is super skilled, exciting, does everything in the offensive zone, he could be a star in the making.

21. Montreal Canadiens - Seth Ambroz – F – Omaha
Montreal needs a strong physical, mean player with some skill, and it would be hard to get a player like that in the 2nd round because I think if Montreal does not get this guy here Pittsburgh would take him at 26, Montreal I think would benefit from a guy like this and he has the ability to be a good strong mean player in the future.

22. Dallas Stars – Matt Nieto – F – Boston
Dallas needs to fill there system with good exciting young players and Nieto is ultra fast and very skilled in the offensive end, he is doing very well in NCAA and proving he is able to do it against older guys, he is a very good prospect.

23. Tampa Bay Lightning – Robbie Russo – D – NTDP
Russo is a good defenseman who is underrated in this years draft, he is average size and needs to improve his skating a little bit more but he is an unbelievable passer from the back end, he is great working the puck out of the zone, running a power play and he is able to shut down the other teams opposing d-men, Tampa needs more defense and here is a chance to get an underrated one.

24. San Jose Sharks – Adam Clendening – D – Boston
This guy is a very good puck rushing d-man, average speed and size but his ability with the puck and IQ on the ice are just something to see, he has an ability to be a good QB in the NHL.

25. Toronto Maple Leafs – Daniel Catenacci – F – Soo
I think Toronto needs a guy who has high end skill who has good hockey sense and Catenacci has been up and down on many list but I think he is a decent player who if he adds muscel and strength he could be a star player, Toronto could have a home run in this guy if he gets the right training.

26. Pittsburgh Penguins – J.T. Miller – F – NTDP
I think this guy is a great two way player, who has excellent ability in all three zones, Pittsburgh needs a guy like this who can play on any line, I saw someone throw around this guy as a potential Ryan Kesler and I like that comparison a bit they play the same style game.

27. Washington Capitals - Alexander Khokhlachev - LW – Windsor
Russians are iffy in drafts these days, but Washington has some pull with ovechkin and semin on the team and Khokhlachev is oozing talent and is a great offensive dynamo player who could turn out to be steal.

28. Detroit Red Wings – Victor Berglind – D – Brynas
This guy is overlooked a lot, and Detroit loves underrated Swedish or Finish prospects and I see this guy being a very good two way defender in the making with a very high cealing in talent, he could be a steal this low in the draft.

29. Toronto Maple Leafs - Stephen Noesen - F - Plymouth
A very good player, not flashy but very solid player who is able to add offense while doing everything right, I like this guy as a player who could turn out to be a Jaret Stoll type of player and he is someone Toronto could do well with.

30. Vancouver Canucks – Shane Prince – F – Ottawa
A decent player who could very well have gone a bit higher, but he is a good playmaker with very good vision and IQ on the ice, he moves well and controls the play.

Guys like Phillips, and Beaulieu I think they are a bit off of a 1st round player, Philips is good but not a standout player, Beaulieu has to become a bit smarter on the ice and stop getting caught out of position too much.

Other guys of HB are: Vladislav Namestnikov, Rocco Grimaldi (despite the size he is good), Nicklas Jensen (I have not seen him play in some time so he could have improved a lot since I saw him I heard good things in the 2nd half from him), Scott Mayfield, Victor Rask, Myles Bell, Lucas Lessio, Phillip Danault, Richard Rakell (this guy could very well go 1st round for sure, and I think Toronto could be a team to take him instead of Noesen).

Last edited:

RussianRifle27

Dec 3, 2007
This draft reminds much like the 2006 draft where there was about 4 or 5 guys who could go in different orders in the top 5.

MPStoEberletoHall*

After the Oilers pick Larson:handclap:
They will go after a top 15 pick and move up in the draft and choose one of Strome, Huberdeau, or Mcneil ... Just watch!

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
No Oleksiak?

I don't like Clendening over Mayfield, I think Mayfield has more upside and hes been a lot better than Clendening this year. And I think Colorado would take Landeskog over Nugent-Hopkins, logjam of centers if they took him and they'd have to move one of Duchene or Statnsy to the wing, and I don't think either of them is really suited for that.

Pretty good mock draft though, would have been nice to see you go out on a limb a little more. Risky mock drafts (Not bad ones, just risky) are always more interesting.

For Dallas at thet spot I'd rather have Oleksiak or Mayfield than another winger. Haven't had much luck with NCAA players and the only one I would want is Oleksiak, but who knows what Joe and the scouting staff will do.

Last edited:

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Not sure I understand the atlanta selection. They already have Byfuglien and Enstrom on the back end. Why do they need another offensive dman? Their problem is, and always has been, keeping the puck out of their own next. They're 28th in the league in goals against per game.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
No Oleksiak?

I don't like Clendening over Mayfield, I think Mayfield has more upside and hes been a lot better than Clendening this year. And I think Colorado would take Landeskog over Nugent-Hopkins, logjam of centers if they took him and they'd have to move one of Duchene or Statnsy to the wing, and I don't think either of them is really suited for that.

Pretty good mock draft though, would have been nice to see you go out on a limb a little more. Risky mock drafts (Not bad ones, just risky) are always more interesting.

For Dallas at thet spot I'd rather have Oleksiak or Mayfield than another winger. Haven't had much luck with NCAA players and the only one I would want is Oleksiak, but who knows what Joe and the scouting staff will do.

Myself Oleksiak to me is a good 2nd round pick but IMO better guys beside him, his size is his main draw....I like Clendening myself I think he is a very good player needs to improveskating though, but with the puck he is very good player...I would like to see Mayfield in a better league beside the USHL, Clendening to me is doing well in NCAA and that made the difference for me right now.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
You think Bartschi will fall out of the first round?

Like most of it, but with Atlanta having Enstrom and Bogosian, I don't see how Murphy is a good pick for them. Musil maybe.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
You think Bartschi will fall out of the first round?

Like most of it, but with Atlanta having Enstrom and Bogosian, I don't see how Murphy is a good pick for them. Musil maybe.

how could you take Musel at 6th??? In the draft as you as a moderater should know that you take the best player available Murphy at that pick is easy the top player. But you know what I thought I used Bartschi and forgot to include him in my first round...I would put him in my top 20 here, sorry about Bartschi but again I still support you take the best player available in teh draft not by need, as is the way we draft in the qmjhl and the way the NHL mostly drafts.

Last edited:

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Oilers will not take a Russian. If Larsson is not available, they will take RNH or Couturier. If they take a center with a 1st pick, they probably will go for a d-man with LA pick, and vice versa.

Larsson/Couturier and one of Murphy, McNeill, Zibanejad, Musil (if any of these guys fall to 15-20 range) would be heck of a 1st round.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Myself Oleksiak to me is a good 2nd round pick but IMO better guys beside him, his size is his main draw....I like Clendening myself I think he is a very good player needs to improveskating though, but with the puck he is very good player...I would like to see Mayfield in a better league beside the USHL, Clendening to me is doing well in NCAA and that made the difference for me right now.

And his skating. Oleksiak is a marvelous skater, maybe better than Myers at the same age. With that size upside is always huge, especially with that skating. Valabik was an awful skater, and even though hes been a slow development hes still got immense upside just because hes over 6'6.

Some team will definitely take him in the first round IMO. I wish Mayfield came to Kitchener, he'd be taken top 15 IMO.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
And his skating. Oleksiak is a marvelous skater, maybe better than Myers at the same age. With that size upside is always huge, especially with that skating. Valabik was an awful skater, and even though hes been a slow development hes still got immense upside just because hes over 6'6.

Some team will definitely take him in the first round IMO. I wish Mayfield came to Kitchener, he'd be taken top 15 IMO.

well in not saying a team won't take him 1st round, someone very well could...but size does not equal upside either.

arsmaster*

I dont see Clendening as a 1st rounder, even at the height of his hype we was a 28-35th type, but he has plateued this year.

About Beaulieu - WOuld you say he gets caught out of position because of lack of hockey sense or trying to do too much?

Interesting mock for sure, not sure I like it though, dont see Nieto, Clendening and Russo all being drafted in round 1....I dont have either in round 1, but I think its likely only 1 gets picked there.

Oleksiak and Bartschi are huge omissions IMO and I dont like Prince as a 1st rounder, especially to the Canucks.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well aprt from the likelihood CHI may be drafting worse than #20 ---WILL YOU GUYS NEVER LEARN? CHI is simply NOT a RUSSKIE shop ...NO first rounder-or any rounders on RUSKIES --they go to WASH or others-NOT to Chicago...

CHI needs: A BIG centre with top 2 line ability ...
GOALTENDING depth for the pipeline/development
BIG physical but mobile D-men..

No Ruskie skill guy fits any of those categories.

IF they cannot get MCNEILL or ZIBANEJAD in a move-up deal ---then EITHER take SAMU PERHONEN (1st and maybe only goalie to be taken in first round) OR in the scenario that started this thread the poster oes not have NATHAN BEAULIEU as a first rounder---THAT is simply looney...If we don't take Perhonen ,and if Beaulieu is there -you gotta grab him...for sure he is a 9-15 type talent for this draft -if he falls to a mid-20's for the Hawks--you grab him (unless we go for the goalie)..
At the top prospects game Beaulieu opened my eyes as to how good he really is--I cannot believe teams will let him fall to a 2nd rounder.

Also not in the poster's top 30 is D-man JAMIE OLEKSIAK Northeastearn U. --he would be my next target if all the others i mentioned above were not obtainable..

IF he is off the board too---then my 2 fallback targets anywhere in the last 8 of round one are : Stefan Noesen 6'1 193 LW (plays the off-wing ) Plymouth OHL or JOACHIM NERMARK (C) 6'1 187 Linkoping (SEL and J-20 teams).. Noesen though a winger takes a lot of face-offs for Plymouth..Nermark is also very good at face-offs..

CHICAGO will NOT take ANY RUSSKIES because they are -as CHI has sadly learned-really RISSKIES!

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
I dont see Clendening as a 1st rounder, even at the height of his hype we was a 28-35th type, but he has plateued this year.

About Beaulieu - WOuld you say he gets caught out of position because of lack of hockey sense or trying to do too much?

Interesting mock for sure, not sure I like it though, dont see Nieto, Clendening and Russo all being drafted in round 1....I dont have either in round 1, but I think its likely only 1 gets picked there.

Oleksiak and Bartschi are huge omissions IMO and I dont like Prince as a 1st rounder, especially to the Canucks.

I said about Bartschi should have been in my first if you read in other posts...Beaulieu everyone here seems to love the guy for 1st round but I see this guy play A LOT with me living maritimes, and I can say one thing he is out of position because he is always offense offense offense, his defensive awareness needs a lot of up grading before he is 1st round potential....

Nieto I will say he is one of the fastest players in the draft, I saw Boston and Nieto to me is a guy who could go 1st round for sure...

Sala90

Aug 20, 2009
Rimouski

9. St.Louis Blues – Ryan Strome - C – Niagara
How could the Blues watch this guy fall even more and for no reason really, Strome could get taken before this but any of the guys ahead of him could go anywhere after the top 4 guys in the draft, Blues get a guy who is beyond extremely offensively gifted.

This pick wasn't in a deal with Jay McClement, Erik Johnson for Kevin Shattenkirk, Chris Stewart and a 2nd ?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
This pick wasn't in a deal with Jay McClement, Erik Johnson for Kevin Shattenkirk, Chris Stewart and a 2nd ?

I thought the pick was conditional (IE: rolled over to the next season if St Louis picked at or below a certain slot), but I can't for the life of me remember what the pick range was.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com

ok I already said I copied and pasted the order from a different user because I did not have the time to look up the trades and order it out, so guess the person I copied the order from screwed up.

arsmaster*

I said about Bartschi should have been in my first if you read in other posts...Beaulieu everyone here seems to love the guy for 1st round but I see this guy play A LOT with me living maritimes, and I can say one thing he is out of position because he is always offense offense offense, his defensive awareness needs a lot of up grading before he is 1st round potential....

Nieto I will say he is one of the fastest players in the draft, I saw Boston and Nieto to me is a guy who could go 1st round for sure...

Thats why I was asking about Bealieu, because I knew you had more viewings than me.

I still dont think his skill set along with his physical tools are going to drop him out of round 1....it seems from what I've read that he is harnessing his 'offense offense offense" as of late, it should also change once the playoffs get into full swing.

To me he has waaay more potential than teammate Depres and former teammate Sauve, who were drafted 30th and 41st respecitvely....I just cant see Beaulieu dropping past 20th with the raw tools, and he definately wouldnt get by Vancouver.

arsmaster*

I thought the pick was conditional (IE: rolled over to the next season if St Louis picked at or below a certain slot), but I can't for the life of me remember what the pick range was.

They have the choice to send this years or next years if this years pick falls in the top 10.

They would have to weigh the options of a top 10 pick in 2011 vs. likely a 15-22 in 2012.

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California

McKenzie's panel of scouts had Clendening at #9 in the preseason rankings for this year. I don't think that was the consensus for everyone, but it definitely seems he was ranked higher than 28-35 at the height of his hype.

But you are right, I doubt he goes in the first round now. Mid-late second round is where I have him now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad