Here is my mock 2011 draft

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Not really a huge fan scoutfan, but I appreciate the list none the less.

I like St. Croix, but he is NOT a mid 1st rounder. He just doesn't compete hard enough night in and night out for my liking. Doesn't always go to the tough areas of the ice. I saw him live a few days ago and he was basically invisible.

I also don't see Russo or Clendening going that high.

And I understand your reasoning for Oleksiak, but that kid is absolutely going to go in the first round. His physical package is just too hard to pass up.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
What makes Rattie better than St. Croix. Other than the team he plays on I think St. Croix Is better.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
What makes Rattie better than St. Croix. Other than the team he plays on I think St. Croix Is better.

The two are similar, very similar, but to me Rattie is a much more in your face player while St. Croix sticks much more to the perimeter.

Rattie is also the better two way player.

Rattie is also slightly bigger.

Seanzie888

Aug 19, 2007
Waaaaaaaaay Up
Interesting picks on your mock draft.

I like some of the ballsy picks you've made but at the same time, some of them, IMO, are a little off.

Ottawa will not pass on RHN
Colorado needs a winger not a center so Landeskog is the logical pick for them
Florida will take Couturier and will be quite happy about it too.
Islanders need more defensive depth so I expect they'll take one of Hamilton or Siemens.
Devils won't pass on Strome/Huberdeu. Probably Strome for the leadership and high skill factors.
Atlanta doesn't need an offensive defenseman with Bogo, Byfuglien and Enstrom. They'll take Siemens if he's there or whomever is left of Strome/Huberdeu
Boston won't take a center so they might take a guy like Saad or Biggs.
Musil is far, far too high here. He's easily a 15+ guy. Don't expect to see him picked this high unless one of the teams really, really likes him (see NYR 2010). I expect Columbus to take Murphy assuming Boston doesn't.

After that it gets to be more of a crapshoot.

Zibanejad has made significant gains since the last ranking and so could be taken that high but I expect he'll settle around 13-17th.
Puempel is a bit high. I don't think he gets taken higher than 16th.
Saad will go higher than 16th.
St. Croix is a very low 1st - early 2nd rounder. Not this high.
Rattie could be a little higher but his stock is dropping so he may just drop or stay put.
Jaskin is a bit of a shot in the dark.
A bit high for Ambroz
Catenacci is about perfect for 25th-ish
Khokhlachev might go higher than that, who knows.

I'm surprised that Bartschi, Namestnikov, Beaulieu, Jensen, Jurco, Mayfield, Philips and Oleksiak are omitted. All could easily make the 1st round.

Anyways, that's my take. Still a good list. I now have a bunch of players that I need to read up on as a result.

Cheers.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Not really a huge fan scoutfan, but I appreciate the list none the less.

I like St. Croix, but he is NOT a mid 1st rounder. He just doesn't compete hard enough night in and night out for my liking. Doesn't always go to the tough areas of the ice. I saw him live a few days ago and he was basically invisible.

I also don't see Russo or Clendening going that high.

And I understand your reasoning for Oleksiak, but that kid is absolutely going to go in the first round. His physical package is just too hard to pass up.

Don't be surprised if Russo goes in the bottom of the 1st round 20-30. He has to be one of the most underrated prospects in this years draft.

HockeyGuy1975

May 22, 2009
Nieto I will say he is one of the fastest players in the draft, I saw Boston and Nieto to me is a guy who could go 1st round for sure...

Glad to see someone agree with me on Nieto. I've been following the American draft prospects all season and, especially, the BU players whom I've seen the most. In the beginning of the season, some went as far as consideing Nieto a top 10 talent, but he quickly started falling. I attributed this to his slow point production. But, each time I watched BU, I saw play after play of high IQ and superb puck moving skills. As the season progressed, his point production started to rise. He stepped up in big games and produced consistently. I've been scratching my head as scouting services and mock drafts continue to leave him out of the 1st round. I'm hoping the Red Wings pick him up late in the 1st because he needs a few years and plays Detroit hockey. I've said it before: I think he is the best American player in the draft.

Clendening has a ton of skill. He just needs to settle his game a bit. I'm not sure BU was the right fit for either of these guys. I love NCAA hockey but I don't think this guys should stay too long. Just one more season.

On another note, I'm glad to see you lovin the American prospects!

Last edited:

HockeyGuy1975

May 22, 2009
No thanks on Ambroz from a Habs POV.

The guy is going to drop like a stone.

Ramdom though: Ambroz is like a Tinordi at forward. I usually hate those kind of arguments, but, here, I think it works. Tinordi is a mean, big defender who has a long way to go before being able to play in the NHL. In fact, so long, I don't think it is a given that he ever becomes a regular. Same with Ambroz.

Sala90

Aug 20, 2009
Rimouski
Ramdom though: Ambroz is like a Tinordi at forward. I usually hate those kind of arguments, but, here, I think it works. Tinordi is a mean, big defender who has a long way to go before being able to play in the NHL. In fact, so long, I don't think it is a given that he ever becomes a regular. Same with Ambroz.

The Habs draft hard-working two-way player with speed.
Tinordi has a good speed and is good defensively.
It's not exactly the same situation with Seth Ambroz.
I understand your point that both, because they are big and mean, are overrated. Mika Zibanejad, Jamieson Oleksiak, David Musil and Mark McNeill are probably on the Habs short list. But this pick probably makes sense for the Habs because Trevor Timmins loves the USHL.

OilerOlli*

You want to tell me Beaulieu, Oleksiak and Bärtschi will still be there at 31 for the Oilers?
Awesome.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Wow does this ever differ from my mock. You have like 8-9 guys in your mock that I dont even think will be first rounders. Obviously you don't mind size though.

Michael St. Croix- 5'10.75"
Shane Prince- 5'10"
Matt Nieto- 5'10.5"
Robbie Russo- 5'11.5"
Adam Clendening- 5'11.25"
Daniel Catenacci- 5'9.5"
Victor Berglind- 5'11"

As far as Shalunov, Miller and Ambroz go.. I just think they are too big of risks to be first rounders.

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
This pick wasn't in a deal with Jay McClement, Erik Johnson for Kevin Shattenkirk, Chris Stewart and a 2nd ?
The pick is conditional if St. Louis pick is in the top ten then they can lay ti over to next year.

It's like new Jersey, they lose ONE pick in the first round betweeen 2011-2014, they choose when they want to lose it.

Anyway good list. Not a fan of a lot of the last 10 picks (20-30) but overall a nice list. I don't see Musil going 10. Maybe 3 months ago, but with more talent etc. I can see him going as high as 16th. However probably around 20th - 24th

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
If I were the Senators and their Nashville pick falls below Minnesota's pick, I would trade up to pass them, in order to pick Armia. IMO, he is someone who would look great for the Senators, especially if we got RNH instead of Landeskog.

IkeaMonkey*

The misconceptions about Ambroz being "big and mean" need to stop. Seriously.

"Big and mean" players don't get dominated by players 6+ inches and 30+ lbs smaller than they are. I wish whatever scouts who write up these scouting reports would have a better viewing of the kid, so that all our HFBoards posters who have never seen him play can get an accurate picture of the type of player he is.

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
Ambroz mean ? im not sure...at least when i saw Ambroz last 3 year in the ushl i never saw a mean player.

he remind me so much of Guillaume Latendresse. skill guy who has great size but doesnt play big (will finnish hit but not mean) and have LOTS of work to do with their skating

HockeyGuy1975

May 22, 2009
The misconceptions about Ambroz being "big and mean" need to stop. Seriously.

"Big and mean" players don't get dominated by players 6+ inches and 30+ lbs smaller than they are. I wish whatever scouts who write up these scouting reports would have a better viewing of the kid, so that all our HFBoards posters who have never seen him play can get an accurate picture of the type of player he is.

I could be wrong but I think most people that have seen Ambroz and use the word mean are projecting that on him. Maybe that is a mistake. I remember hearing about Rupp before he went to the OHL, and then seeing him in his draft year and he was just learning how to be "mean." I admit that I'm no authority because I've only seen the Lancers play one game. I wasn't impressed.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I hope you're right about Beaulieu because if we could get him in the 2nd round I'd be jumping for joy. Where do you see Kessy going scoutman?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad