Here is my mock 2011 draft

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
Victor Berglind instead of Jonas Brodin in the first round? Doesn´t make sense to me, despite putting up good numbers in superelit, Berglind has been partially responsible for Brynäs j20-team leaky defense and has not really developed as you would expect. Brodin has been rocksolid in his first SEL-season, and is almost a year younger.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Not sure I understand the atlanta selection. They already have Byfuglien and Enstrom on the back end. Why do they need another offensive dman? Their problem is, and always has been, keeping the puck out of their own next. They're 28th in the league in goals against per game.

You think Bartschi will fall out of the first round?

Like most of it, but with Atlanta having Enstrom and Bogosian, I don't see how Murphy is a good pick for them. Musil maybe.

Beat me too it already. Even taking Musil would be a stretch. Bogosian is being morphed into a much better 2-way D-man, and with Enstrom and Buff, he won't have to be counted on for a lot of points.

At this point, i'm would expect Atlanta to take a big winger with their pick. We're weak at RW. Only good prospect is Klingberg, and he doesn't project to be a top 6 winger that we are lacking at that spot.

I've seen several different players for Atlanta in mocks. I think the guys that they will target will be Biggs, Saad, Armia, Strome, Zabanejad, and Courturier, Landeskog, or Huberdeau if they fall.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Thats why I was asking about Bealieu, because I knew you had more viewings than me.

I still dont think his skill set along with his physical tools are going to drop him out of round 1....it seems from what I've read that he is harnessing his 'offense offense offense" as of late, it should also change once the playoffs get into full swing.

To me he has waaay more potential than teammate Depres and former teammate Sauve, who were drafted 30th and 41st respecitvely....I just cant see Beaulieu dropping past 20th with the raw tools, and he definately wouldnt get by Vancouver.

he is far off from Despres trust me on that...Sauve also better than Beaulieu...Beaulieu has to improve like I said his awareness on the ice and that is a hard thing to work on because that is natural instinct.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
i could definitely see the Sharks taking Clendening, but not in round 1.

also Musil is a good player, but #10 is too high for him. i liked the rest of the top-10. though i can see Murphy slipping due to size concerns.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
McKenzie's panel of scouts had Clendening at #9 in the preseason rankings for this year. I don't think that was the consensus for everyone, but it definitely seems he was ranked higher than 28-35 at the height of his hype.

But you are right, I doubt he goes in the first round now. Mid-late second round is where I have him now.

yea, i saw Clendening in the top-15. he was even ahead of Murphy in one of Joyce's preseason rankings.. but that was preseason.

Analyzer*

I thought the pick was conditional (IE: rolled over to the next season if St Louis picked at or below a certain slot), but I can't for the life of me remember what the pick range was.

10th, or higher. In order for Colorado to get St. Louis' pick, it would have to be 11th.

If St. Louis' pick is 10th, or lower, then Colorado keeps their 2nd and then next year they're exchanged regardless.

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
10th, or higher. In order for Colorado to get St. Louis' pick, it would have to be 11th.

If St. Louis' pick is 10th, or lower, then Colorado keeps their 2nd and then next year they're exchanged regardless.

I don't think that's automatic, though. I think St. Louis gets to decide if the pick is in the top 10. If, in theory, they think they are going to somehow finish worse next year than this year, they can still send the pick to Colorado this year even if it is top 10.

If, however, the pick is out of the top 10, then it automatically goes to Colorado. That is my understanding of this particular conditional draft pick.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

Thanks, thought it was 10th, but thought it also could have been top 5.

IkeaMonkey*

Ambroz on the board, with Grimaldi and Mayfield both going after...

Hmmmm, watch USHL much?

Voga

Jun 1, 2010
Interesting mock which is a nice change to the others I have read, and the descriptions help. I dont see Scheifele dropping out of the first round given is compltete game and offensive upside. I also do not see St. Coix going in the first round but that my opinion which means nothing. Good discussion though.

Analyzer*

I don't think that's automatic, though. I think St. Louis gets to decide if the pick is in the top 10. If, in theory, they think they are going to somehow finish worse next year than this year, they can still send the pick to Colorado this year even if it is top 10.

If, however, the pick is out of the top 10, then it automatically goes to Colorado. That is my understanding of this particular conditional draft pick.

When it was reported, it was 10th, or higher and the Blues keep it.

I don't see how the Blues can think they'll do worse next year. Unless, they feel they'll be hit by the injury bug again.

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
Landeskog fills a need in colorado where RNH doesnt, although there is no doubt RNH is the most offensively gifted player in this draft

arsmaster*

When it was reported, it was 10th, or higher and the Blues keep it.

I don't see how the Blues can think they'll do worse next year. Unless, they feel they'll be hit by the injury bug again.

NOt to derail the thread, but the Blues have the CHOICE to defer the pick to next year if its a top 10 this year.

Could the players available from 11-25 next year have more upside than 9th this year?

Thats the decision the would have to make.....It all depends, but 2012 looks reallly, really stacked on paper.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
They'll take BPA, just like Boston did with Seguin last year despite center being their deepest position then. Plus, Colorado took Hishon at 17 last year despite having Duchene and Stastny down the middle then as well.

Landeskog would fit their needs much better.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site

For Dallas at thet spot I'd rather have Oleksiak or Mayfield than another winger. Haven't had much luck with NCAA players and the only one I would want is Oleksiak, but who knows what Joe and the scouting staff will do.
Yeah i will definitely not be happy if we draft a smallish forward with two huge and mobile dmen on the board.

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
Landeskog would fit their needs much better.

No argument there from me. That team is in dire need of some younger leadership, plus I think they're going to want someone who can play right away. These are possible reasons why they might opt for Landeskog.

But this isn't the NFL, teams don't draft on positional need this early in the draft. They'll take Landeskog if they think he is BPA at that spot, not because they're deep at center.

Pulkkinen

Elias Lindholm.
Apr 19, 2010
Barcelona.
twitter.com
10. Columbus Blue Jackets – David Musil – D – Vancouver

Happy to see Musil climbing on your charts. I saw him as a non-risk pick, and one of those players who has better chances to rise the previous days of the Draft. Defensive-minded, not afraid of being physical, a lot of security passing the puck and always well positioned. I don't see his lack of offensive as a major concern to drop him, even below the #30 at some ranks. If i have defensive needs, he would be one of the players at the top of my mind.

Maybe i have some different thoughts about some players. For example, i see Saad as another riser. I've read a lot about him and his lack of intensity and regularity, but he's making great numbers at Saginaw, he adapted pretty well to a more competitive league, and he was one of the best players at NTDP last year. Considering the last year, maybe i'll put in that list names like Oleksiak and Mayfield, specially the second. He's doing a great season, he played really well at WJAC, and he's improving a lot really fast. Big and gifted defenseman, with good movility and a lot of room to improve.

About Shalunov, i'm really intrigued because he dropped at the charts because his lack of icetime at KHL, but before that, he was a lock at the Top 30 and putting good numbers. Maybe one team with no inmediate needs can take a chance on him. Noesen is another player who i'm happy to see at the list. But that's the beauty of this year's Draft. Phillips, Jensen, Grimaldi, Rask, Lucia, Brodin, Namestnikov, Shore, Rieder, there's a lot of talented players who can drop out of the First Round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad