Confirmed with Link: Henrik Tallinder inks PTO with Hartford (Update 12/16: Released from PTO)

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Well, we signed Rissmiller for three years and gave him two games. Adam Hall got half a season. Remember when we traded picked up Todd White? I think he got like 15 games. There are probably a dozen other guys that we acquired through minor trades, and probably some others that we signed and never played. If there's one thing you can say about Sather, it's that he won't hesitate to try to get rid of someone he sees as a mistake or no longer part of the plan.

We signed Kostka for one year at the minimum, right? Maybe they did it because they heard something good from a pro scout, and then soon found that he wasn't what they thought they were getting. I'm not sold that that's what's going on here, but it wouldn't be at all surprising to me.
I wish I could explain what went on with Rissmiller. I think Sather just forget how many forwards they could dress in any one game. Todd White was acquired in order to get rid of two other terrible assets (Rissmiller being one). Adam Hall's 49 games played is still seven times seven.

I would find it very concerning if the Rangers didn't know what they were getting when they signed Kostka.

Also, Tallinder is a LD if memory serves. That wouldn't put him in front of Kostka on the depth chart.
He has a lot of experience playing the right side, as well. In the long-time pairing of he and Lydman he played his off-side.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I wish I could explain what went on with Rissmiller. I think Sather just forget how many forwards they could dress in any one game. Todd White was acquired in order to get rid of two other terrible assets (Rissmiller being one). Adam Hall's 49 games played is still seven times seven.

I would find it very concerning if the Rangers didn't know what they were getting when they signed Kostka.

Well, look, he's played in 7 games, but it's a quarter of the way through the season. I don't think it's completely unreasonable to evaluate your players at this point.

Maybe you signed a guy (again, to a minimum deal) because what you had seem from him previously indicated he'd be a serviceable #7 and good depth in the minors, but what you've seen from him since he signed has been disappointing. Teams make mistakes, it happens all the time. If what you're seeing at practice and during the games is cause for concern, it's better to start looking at other options now than waiting until later in the season when the picking might be more slim or the prices higher.

I mean, we're talking about a #7 defenseman here. Mike Kostka wouldn't be the first guy to look like a potential #7 one year and then AHL fodder the next. When you're at the absolute fringes of an NHL roster, even a tiny deterioration in your game can be the difference between keeping and losing your job.

I had no problem with the Kostka move in the summer. It sounded like he had been serviceable as a #7 in the past. It was a minimum deal for a guy with some experience that could compete with the other guys at the bottom of the roster. These moves are made every year. Then, Kostka looked like **** in the preseason and has looked like **** in the regular season. My limited viewing of him in the AHL this year confirm that, guess what, he looks pretty crappy there, too. It was a move that has not worked out thus far and I have no problem with the team kicking the tires on some alternatives.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Well whatever we think is an appropriate sample to write off a player, the Rangers signed both Hunwick and Kostka with Moore in the organization this summer, so I don't think they'd want to trade Moore without replacement regardless.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Well whatever we think is an appropriate sample to write off a player, the Rangers signed both Hunwick and Kostka with Moore in the organization this summer, so I don't think they'd want to trade Moore without replacement regardless.

I agree. We're not exactly deep on defense. Hard to imagine moving out NHL depth without first identifying and obtaining a sufficient replacement.

AHB*

Well, we signed Rissmiller for three years and gave him two games. Adam Hall got half a season. Remember when we traded picked up Todd White? I think he got like 15 games. There are probably a dozen other guys that we acquired through minor trades, and probably some others that we signed and never played. If there's one thing you can say about Sather, it's that he won't hesitate to try to get rid of someone he sees as a mistake or no longer part of the plan.

We signed Kostka for one year at the minimum, right? Maybe they did it because they heard something good from a pro scout, and then soon found that he wasn't what they thought they were getting. I'm not sold that that's what's going on here, but it wouldn't be at all surprising to me.

John Scott played 6 games for us.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I mean he was an olympian last year :sarcasm:
Not only that, he's better than Hedman. :laugh:

I don't know about this. Tallinder is very slow. I guess his puck game is/ was passable, but this is a desperation move. His deficiencies can be hidden alot easier on the Rangers than in Buffalo though. Tallinder is at least positionally responsible. It'll be an interesting experiment, but my guess is his career is about to be over.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

I don't know about this. Tallinder is very slow. I guess his puck game is/ was passable, but this is a desperation move. His deficiencies can be hidden alot easier on the Rangers than in Buffalo though. Tallinder is at least positionally responsible. It'll be an interesting experiment, but my guess is his career is about to be over.

I don't know if it's a "desperation move." A desperation move would be to trade a valuable asset for someone, or hand out a guaranteed contract to someone you haven't even thoroughly scouted. This move, like the Kaberle move before it, is simply a recognition that the organization could use some additional depth on the back end, and the due diligence that precedes an actual acquisition.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I mean he was an olympian last year :sarcasm:

He beat out Vic Hedman, Tobey Enström, Jonas Brodin, Hampus Lindholm and co to name a few! :yo:

Seriously though, we have 4 LDs who can play. We have depth on defense. I do not see a need for him.

With that said, if we didn't have Moore and Hunwick -- Tallinder admittedly is a very good fit in AVs system. He is an excellent man-man D (why he made the Swedish OG team). He is good defensively and in a No 6 role. And he makes a good first pass and can function very well on a puck moving D.

I think its odd that he don't have a job, but it just shows that nobody is looking for left Ds in this league right now. Neither are we as I understand...

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Yeah, and I just also want to add, I have no clue about what shape he is in November 2014 if you get what I mean.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Yeah, but OTOH, just because we had our fair shareof injuries on defense don't mean we are immune. What happen if Staal gets a concussion today? Would be awsome to be able to throw in Tallinder on the 3rd pairing the next game -- if -- he is in shape...

Last edited:

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
If Tallinder could still play...a #6 role might be perfect for him to still excel. Less minutes on a better team. Could eventually lead to a trade of John Moore.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
This is insuarance for the number 8D slot as Kostka, Mcilraith and Allen have not earned the coaches confidence for this.
Could slide up if injuries (re: McD) or trades occur
Not a big deal at all really, would have liked to have seen Salo on a PTO in HFD first though

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Injuries happen. This team went deep in the playoffs last year. Boyle is 38. Hunwick has been a revelation. However all that it takes is for a couple of guys to go down and we are back to Kostka. If he is cheap and he'll take a small contract, depth is a good idea

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
I'm surprised no one mentioned this, but does anyone believe this may be an indiciation the organization is nervous about Mcdonagh's injury?

Hunwich has been an ok filler for the time being and Mcdonagh should be returning from injury soon, right? Depth is always better but I'm suspicious.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I'm surprised no one mentioned this, but does anyone believe this may be an indiciation the organization is nervous about Mcdonagh's injury?

Hunwich has been an ok filler for the time being and Mcdonagh should be returning from injury soon, right? Depth is always better but I'm suspicious.

The report from a few days ago was that he was back at practice skating in some capacity. I don't know if there's any short-term cause for concern. They might be worried about the shoulder long term, but I don't think Tallinder would be a move to address that.

Jim Morrison

Aug 4, 2009
Can't really see why this wouldn't be a good idea. Cheap veteran extra-D that just played the olympics? Yeah, why not?

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY

If Henrik Tallinder is the guy we acquire to replace McD's minutes, then we are in very serious trouble.

Anyway, definitely think he can bring more than Kaberle/Kostka at this point. Hope he looks good in Hartford.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
It's like whenever there's minor news, there's a race to see who can read the most into it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad