Confirmed with Link: Henrik Tallinder inks PTO with Hartford (Update 12/16: Released from PTO)

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
The conspiracy theorist in me thinks:

1. NYR FO doesn't think Kostka is good enough to be a 7D in the NHL
2. NYR FO and coaching staff believe Hunwick is capable of playing a top-6 role every night
3. NYR FO will be trading John Moore when McDonagh is healthy
4. Because of 3, NYR need a 7D on the roster.

mind_blown.gif

tinfoil.jpg

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
Didn't see this coming, just hope for his sake he will be able to play at this level again here or not and Kostka won't.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
Talinder is actually not total garbage as a 6th/7th dman. I'm sort of okay with this. Especially if it means never seeing kostka again and possibly trading J.Moore when mcdonaugh is healthy.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
no risk here, might as well give him a look and give him the chance to play himself into shape.

Is there a limit to games a player can play while on PTO before the team has to sign him?

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
My initial thought was they must really hate the idea of Kostka ever playing for this team again.

So do I. I'm happy the front office agrees.

Talinder is actually not total garbage as a 6th/7th dman. I'm sort of okay with this. Especially if it means never seeing kostka again and possibly trading J.Moore when mcdonaugh is healthy.

Agree with all or this. Kostka should never be on the NHL club again. I think Moore is very expendable as he's shown very little progress in the two seasons he's been here. I actually was advocating for Tallinder last season for defensive depth at the deadline, but went with Diaz instead. Unlike Kaberle, I think Tallinder has some gas left in the tank.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida

2. NYR FO and coaching staff believe Hunwick is capable of playing a top-6 role every night

mind_blown.gif

tinfoil.jpg

This is to believeable to be written off as a conspiracy theory

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
How did he go from being a Olympian to not being on a team?

Maybe teams that have been interested were offering a substantial pay cut from the $3.5 million he was making last season. He was also a -21 last year, albeit on a bad sabres team but still.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
How many of these will there be this season?

Kaberle, Tallinder, and counting.

As far as big plans go, Hartford needs some help on D it seems. Occam's Razor.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

I seriously doubt the Rangers would have signed Kostka if they didn't think he was good enough to be a #7.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I think the point is what they think now, not what they thought in the offseason.
He played 7 games.

I really hope the Rangers' front office has an attention span longer than this board, who collectively decided Glass was great after 3 preseason games, and then terrible after 4 regular season games.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He played 7 games.

I really hope the Rangers' front office has an attention span longer than this board, who collectively decided Glass was great after 3 preseason games, and then terrible after 4 regular season games.

Well, we signed Rissmiller for three years and gave him two games. Adam Hall got half a season. Remember when we traded picked up Todd White? I think he got like 15 games. There are probably a dozen other guys that we acquired through minor trades, and probably some others that we signed and never played. If there's one thing you can say about Sather, it's that he won't hesitate to try to get rid of someone he sees as a mistake or no longer part of the plan.

We signed Kostka for one year at the minimum, right? Maybe they did it because they heard something good from a pro scout, and then soon found that he wasn't what they thought they were getting. I'm not sold that that's what's going on here, but it wouldn't be at all surprising to me.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Leafs fans seemed somewhat happy with him in the preseason. Some even wanted to offer him a contract even with his shoulder injury.

Also, Tallinder is a LD if memory serves. That wouldn't put him in front of Kostka on the depth chart.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

Methinks you are right!

All depends on who they acquire of course. If they get another DMan via trade, then this isn't needed.

The Rangers got to see what their defensive "depth" has to offer and its not a marginal playoff team, let alone contender.

See I look at each game this season that Moore's played and I don't see improvement. I see the good that's in his game, but I still see mistakes he's making. Basically he's been the same player since he was traded for.

The team has had success with him in the line up, but in a sheltered role.

A team that can ice a full 6 d without any sheltering is a D that is stacked.

No holes.

Kostka presents a big, gaping giant hole.

Hunwick was solid for stretches, and then its like wtf man bad for stretches. Moronic play.

Allen takes a lot of uncessary risks, bad positioning on rushes. McIlrath does too much.

So yeah your post has a lot of merit.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

mind_blown.gif

tinfoil.jpg

gunna go with this one too...

not that Kostka is horrible (though he's had horrible games), I just think the Rangers were hoping for a Pouliot-esque journeyman project that could spring back up under AV... Kostka was not one of those... Hunwick however seems to have fit in nicely.

I do wonder what happened with those rumors regarding Sami Salo... could be a servicable dman, though he is old and injury prone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad