Player Discussion Henrik Lundqvist

Status
Not open for further replies.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Kind of how Hank feels after the weekend.
18341870_1650618718298852_8143651151687907867_n.jpg

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
I wish we could just give Lundqvist the rest of the season off. This process is obviously killing him. My heart breaks for Hank. Most competitive person I’ve ever seen.

Reactions: nevesis

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
I wish we could just give Lundqvist the rest of the season off. This process is obviously killing him. My heart breaks for Hank. Most competitive person I’ve ever seen.

Still a lot of games to be played, he’s going to try his hardest to make the playoffs.

The whole team should. They have nothing more to lose at this point.

I’d be nice to at least see him get his 30 wins.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Still a lot of games to be played, he’s going to try his hardest to make the playoffs.

The whole team should. They have nothing more to lose at this point.

I’d be nice to at least see him get his 30 wins.
I would too, but the window to do so is definitely closing on this. Getting down to the wire.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
So what's the matter with Lundqvist? Will he get his net back against Detroit or will they go with Georgiev again?

cpdthree

Sep 13, 2017
OK then. Lundqvist is the greatest Rangers goalie of all time. Lundqvist has been the best goalie in the NHL during his career. Lundqvist has carried inferior teams to heights that they should not have remotely achieved. Lots of people seem to want to be emotionally personal about it and say he 'deserves' to win a cup, here or elsewhere. Like he gives a rat's ass about you. The truth is, his game is starting to slip, as it should after 16 years and a million shots on goal against. Stop pretending it isn't. The glove is slowing down and there have been plenty of soft goals this year and last that are too easily ignored. When he's good he's Hasek, when he isn't, he's a victim. Please.....

The most important thing as a fan is watching the Rangers win the cup. Period. At this point the best thing for the organization's quest to win, as the team currently stands, was/is to trade him and reap the rewards while he still has value. I don't care what a great competitor he is. I don't care that he loves NY. So did Rick Nash and Ryan Callahan. I don't care that he wants to stick it out through the rebuild. That shouldn't be his decision. Few teams ever, and none in 15 years, have won the Stanley Cup with a goalie as their highest paid player, especially a 36, 37, 38 year-old one. It should have been his time to go, especially with a potential return that would help the rebuild, far more than him 'deserving' to stick around because of past achievements. Anyone can be traded. Work out the No Move Clause. Then find an elite scorer worthy of $9+ million/year.

The point is, he has been overall better than Quick, better than Murray, Fleury, Crawford, Thomas, JS Guiguere for gods sake. It's not his fault. But now his salary should be put to better use. I've been a fan since the '70s and a paying season ticket holder since 1986 and cheered my ass off for Hank. But I don't care if the man in the moon is the goalie and Billy Joel is the coach. It's still about the Rangers winning the Cup, nothing else.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/henrik-lundqvist-deserves-better-than-the-rangers/

I don't agree that Henrik deserves better. The organization did everything they could to build a winner. In the end, we weren't able to surround Hank with enough talent to win it all, but we came damn close. There are far worse places Hank could have ended up. And, as much as I love Hank, the team is and always will be bigger than any one player, so we have no reason to apologize for rebuilding. Hank could have asked for a trade. He wants to stay.

The article does point out what we've known all along though, which is that Hank has carried the team on his back more often than not. If nothing else, it shows just how good he was for a decade.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
OK then. Lundqvist is the greatest Rangers goalie of all time. Lundqvist has been the best goalie in the NHL during his career. Lundqvist has carried inferior teams to heights that they should not have remotely achieved. Lots of people seem to want to be emotionally personal about it and say he 'deserves' to win a cup, here or elsewhere. Like he gives a rat's ass about you. The truth is, his game is starting to slip, as it should after 16 years and a million shots on goal against. Stop pretending it isn't. The glove is slowing down and there have been plenty of soft goals this year and last that are too easily ignored. When he's good he's Hasek, when he isn't, he's a victim. Please.....

The most important thing as a fan is watching the Rangers win the cup. Period. At this point the best thing for the organization's quest to win, as the team currently stands, was/is to trade him and reap the rewards while he still has value. I don't care what a great competitor he is. I don't care that he loves NY. So did Rick Nash and Ryan Callahan. I don't care that he wants to stick it out through the rebuild. That shouldn't be his decision. Few teams ever, and none in 15 years, have won the Stanley Cup with a goalie as their highest paid player, especially a 36, 37, 38 year-old one. It should have been his time to go, especially with a potential return that would help the rebuild, far more than him 'deserving' to stick around because of past achievements. Anyone can be traded. Work out the No Move Clause. Then find an elite scorer worthy of $9+ million/year.

The point is, he has been overall better than Quick, better than Murray, Fleury, Crawford, Thomas, JS Guiguere for gods sake. It's not his fault. But now his salary should be put to better use. I've been a fan since the '70s and a paying season ticket holder since 1986 and cheered my ass off for Hank. But I don't care if the man in the moon is the goalie and Billy Joel is the coach. It's still about the Rangers winning the Cup, nothing else.
Trading him helps us in zero ways imo. He’s perfect for where the team is right now, not because of him being a legend and what not, but for normal hockey reasons

Blais to Win

Dec 16, 2009
I like that photo because the tanks represent two straight games making 50 saves, and Hank is alone.

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
Last night has gotta be one of his best ever right? The Dallas game as a rookie always stands out to me, a couple playoff games too, but last night was ridiculous.

Reactions: Slaydagnar

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY

This post didn’t age well.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
This post didn’t age well.

I love how you cherry-pick a post from September to prove your point after Lundqvist had a few good games. See, the issue with Lundqvist for a lot of people is his lack of consistency. And you pointing it out after he has had a few good games, is basically proving that point.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I love how you cherry-pick a post from September to prove your point after Lundqvist had a few good games. See, the issue with Lundqvist for a lot of people is his lack of consistency. And you pointing it out after he has had a few good games, is basically proving that point.

He's been the most consistent goalie in this generation. That pretty much can't be disputed. People that argue against that are "cherry picking" a few bad games or a bad stretch.

Show me a more consistent goalie over the last 10-13 years than Lundqvist to make your point.

And, let me edit this by adding that this year's team, and to a certain extent last year's team, are terrible defensively. Lundqvist was the only reason this team was even in the mix in mid January while masking his team's inefficiencies while the team never really masked his when he had an off night or two. Every goalie in the NHL gives up bad goals, but when you're giving up near the most shots in the league and relying on your 35/36 year old goalie to constantly save your bacon, it's not a formula for success. I don't think you can ask a lot more from Hank than what he's given you this year. He's not at his peak, but he's still going to win games for you by himself.

Shots against:

Andersen: 54 games 1854 SA
Lundqvist: 56 games 1800 SA

That's entirely too much for a 35-36 year old goalie. Games and shots. The Rangers have played 65 games this season.

Fire AV and get some structure in this place. I'm sick of this bleeding shots garbage.

Last edited:

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

People who knock Lundqvist for not being consistent after 13 years of the most consistent goaltending you'll ever see aren't exactly credible in the first place.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY

The issue with Lundqvist is his lack of consistency?!

Haha...this is quite possibly the worst take I have ever read on these forums.

Statistically, he’s far and above the most consistent goaltender in the NHL for the past 13 seasons.

Stunning. Just...no words.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
People who knock Lundqvist for not being consistent after 13 years of the most consistent goaltending you'll ever see aren't exactly credible in the first place.

It’s literally unbelievable that someone could post something so absurd.

Such is this place sometimes.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I think he means consistent from week to week rather than from season to season.

Henrik averages as very consistent, but he has had times of the season over his career where he has been much better, and others where he has been worse.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

You’re out to lunch with this post. You don’t watch other goalie game in and out as you do with Hank. There are goalie that could have good stretches of elite goaltending during a season. But doing it season, after season, after season? Take a look at other good goalies in the last half decade? I’m thinking Price, Bob, Flower, Quick. None of them were as consistently top notch as Hank.

Reactions: nevesis

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

Eh, that's not accurate. Lundqvist doesn't have wild swings. But he does have long stretches of mediocre play at times. He's not a guy who is going to go up and down, up and down, up and down on a game to game basis. But saying he's consistently excellent isn't true, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad