Henrik Lundqvist wins 400 games (fastest in history)

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I think he can reach 9th all-time by the end of the season. He only needs 8 more to take sole possession of it.

Getting to the Top 5 will take at least two seasons beyond this one.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
Wins are a team stat. Lundqvist is an excellent goalie, but he's not top 100 material. Just like Toews shouldn't be in there based on the fact that the Hawks won a bunch of cups.

Except lundqvist carried the teams for half a decade on his back right into the playoffs and even more so once jagr left to the KHL and lundqvist is on pace (and already has) shattered several goaltending records and will already be top 10 all time in wins by seasons end.

Toews was good on the hawks cup runs but was he the single reason why the hawks won? was he by far the determining factor? no
Did he play on stacked teams that certainly helped? yes
Will toews retire with historical statistical game stats? no ("he won X cups" is not a game stat)

You can complain about wins as team stats all you want but unless you've actually seen lundqvist play over the last decade, you won't get it.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
edit quoted wrong person

That said, even though I dislike him, congratulations are in order no matter the other stuff. An amazing accomplishment! He's a fantastic goalie.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
I really hate it when people say wins are a team stat. Nobody is actually evaluating him based on his wins. Wins is an accomplishment stat, not an evaluation one.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Side note, but kind of relevant: What website/resource do people use to show shootout wins? I've been trying to find it for a bit, but have had no luck. I can find ties.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Fastest in history ?

Let's not forget that for his whole career, games had to end with a win or a loss.

Pre-2005, games could end in ties.

Apples and oranges.

Let's not forget that today every game ends in a win. For much of the NHL's history there were tie games and games had no winner. Lundqvist plays in an era with more wins available. It is a given that a modern goalie should be the fastest to any significant win totals.
Never realized that, thanks for sharing.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Side note, but kind of relevant: What website/resource do people use to show shootout wins? I've been trying to find it for a bit, but have had no luck. I can find ties.

I can't find either. I was able to find team SOW but not individual.

I do remember he and Marty were battling it out for most career shootout wins.. which I remember was around 40 at the time.

Wikipedia has Ryan Miller as the all-time leader with 55. I imagine Lundqvist is around there.

edit: he had 45 at the end of the 2013 season https://www.nhl.com/news/a-look-at-the-first-eight-seasons-of-the-shootout/c-679031

May 27, 2012
Earth
I just really like this picture of him, lol.

72bd9d9ba64b.jpg

He's a stud now.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Cujo is 4th all time in wins yet isn't in the hof but should be

I don't know about Cujo, Lundqvist is a HOF'er in my mind though. I think Luongo is too, though he might not get in.

I think Lundqvist will though, he pretty much becomes a lock with 450-460 wins IMO. A gold medal as a starter and a Vezina will strengthen that.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Let's not forget that today every game ends in a win. For much of the NHL's history there were tie games and games had no winner. Lundqvist plays in an era with more wins available. It is a given that a modern goalie should be the fastest to any significant win totals.

Let's also not forget that Lundqvist has also played in an era with unprecedented league parity. So while more wins might be available, they're also harder to attain.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
brodeur has 105 ties when he won his 400th game

That's insane. I'd love to see a top 10 rank of the fastest goalies to 400, with how many ties they had at that point. What Henrik did is still great though and he's a future hall of fame player. Still curious to see how much the shootout playked a role. I know Ranger fans will take it as swipe a Henrik, but it was an undeniable factor.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
He has benefited from NHL having shootouts helping to get to 400 this fast. I wonder how things would of been different without shootouts to help goalies have more chances for W's.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
He plays for the Rangers :laugh:

It's not like he's playing for the Oilers. The Rags might not have won any cups in the past half century, but they've had tons of solid teams lately, and he's had a heavy workload on those teams in terms of games played.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
He has benefited from NHL having shootouts helping to get to 400 this fast. I wonder how things would of been different without shootouts to help goalies have more chances for W's.
FWIW he's also one of the best shootout goalies in history, possibly the best. A lot of his SO wins were completely deserved.

Still, everyone knows he's played with SO/OT for his entire career. It's not news. Lundqvist threads never go well anyway though so w/e.

Definitely my favourite goalie in the league, awesome accomplishment!
Makes me feel old, seems like he's been bailing the Rangers out forever.

Last edited:

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Fastest in history ?

Let's not forget that for his whole career, games had to end with a win or a loss.

Pre-2005, games could end in ties.

Apples and oranges.

Still impressive. Whether its done in regualtion/OT/SO, a goalie still has to allow less goals than the opposition for the W. Hank has done it 400 times.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
You have to put records into context, sure. All games today end in a win or a loss, but there has never been more artificial parity in the league either, with cap hits, etc.
Meanwhile a goalie from the earlier eras had to be really good at hockey and play on a dynasty team to reach longevity records.

Just as Orr and Gretzky should have their records put into context. There were light years between a 1st liner and a 4th liner in that age, defensemen didn't know how to defend - or skate - and goalies weren't that good at stopping pucks. Talent was a much more prevalent trait the earlier you look, which gave them an advantage that is much smaller for supreme talents in the game today.

Meanwhile the superstars today have to try to put up records in an era where even 4th liners are very good hockey players, know how to skate and defend and are a legitimate threat. While they don't have to worry about some lumberjack 4th liner swinging a stick at their head or driving their head through the glass, they still have to watch out for heavy hitters and cheap shots.

All in all, players from different eras shouldn't be compared that much, beause they're not comparable. Still, quite a feat from Lundqvist, he has played on a top salary cap team, sure, but the franchise hasn't exactly spent it well and hasn't been a powerhouse for a clear majority of the years Lundqvist has played for them.

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
It's not like he's playing for the Oilers. The Rags might not have won any cups in the past half century, but they've had tons of solid teams lately, and he's had a heavy workload on those teams in terms of games played.

The vast majority of those "solid teams" have been solid because of Lundqvist. There may have been 2-3 solid defensive lineups in front of him his whole career.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad