Henrik Lundqvist wins 400 games (fastest in history)

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Most losses ever!

Funny how once Brodeur leaves a trap system he has a sv% below .900.

Brodeur is the Favre of Hockey, and I'm a Packers fan.

:laugh:

Not sure what's funnier/more pathetic here.. the fact that you think the Devils played the trap up until the day Marty retired, the fact that you think 7 games defines a career or the fact that you seem unable to recognize that Marty broke the wins record in less GP than Roy needed to set the mark. No **** he was going to set the mark for all time losses when he obliterated the wins record.

Either way, just :laugh:

TheGuarantee

Jul 1, 2016
:laugh:

Not sure what's funnier/more pathetic here.. the fact that you think the Devils played the trap up until the day Marty retired, the fact that you think 7 games defines a career or the fact that you seem unable to recognize that Marty broke the wins record in less GP than Roy needed to set the mark. No **** he was going to set the mark for all time losses when he obliterated the wins record.

Either way, just :laugh:

Ah gotta love Devil fans who obsess over the Rangers :)

Most L's of all time playing behind Stevens and Niedermayer, gotta love it.

TheGuarantee

Jul 1, 2016
I tend to comment on factual claims, not on bombastic rhetoric.

Read into that what you will.

I tend to not take message board forums on hockey too seriously. Read into that what you will. :laugh:

What's wrong with Brett Favre though, some consider him the greatest ever, both tarnished their legacy by extending their playing time.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Still happened.

No comment on the rest of what I said though, cool.

552 wins in 988 NHL games
552 wins in 1029 NHL games

There are far more legitimate ways to bash Brodeur than the losses record.. that's probably the worst way to do it, truthfully. Hell, Luongo will likely end up claiming that record fairly soon anyways :laugh:

TheGuarantee

Jul 1, 2016
552 wins in 988 NHL games
552 wins in 1029 NHL games

There are far more legitimate ways to bash Brodeur than the losses record.. that's probably the worst way to do it, truthfully. Hell, Luongo will likely end up claiming that record fairly soon anyways :laugh:

Please share the more legitimate ways? I'd love to hear them

TheGuarantee

Jul 1, 2016
A Rangers goaltender.

So why are you calling Devils fans "obsessed" for commenting in it, but it's fair game for you to make things up about Brodeur?

You're really taking this "not taking things seriously" to a new level.

Says guy who has responded to one of my posts twice

I'm not sure you know what it's about considering you haven't mentioned the goalie it's about in any of your posts :laugh:

:laugh: fair enough, I am only kidding though. Back to the original post, I do think Lundqvist will make serious arguments for top 3 all time when his career is all said and done.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Says guy who has responded to one of my posts twice

:laugh: fair enough, I am only kidding though. Back to the original post, I do think Lundqvist will make serious arguments for top 3 all time when his career is all said and done.

Among Rangers fans, certainly. And that's not to be unexpected as any fanbase respects and loves their guy.. as they should.

Unless he has a legendary finish to his career, top 3 is far from attainable. He can potentially push for top 5 IMO but even that will be a stretch without the hardware to back it up. You can say those are team accomplishments or subjective voting all you want but end of the day, careers are often defined by the hardware.. and Lundqvist currently lacks the trophy case to compare to the guys at the top. Not to mention, placement in a top 3 or 5 is a subjective matter where subjective voting awards often play a role.

Even among the 'modern' top 3 (respectfully acknowledging that many out there don't have Brodeur in their top 3 of all time, let alone their top 5), he doesn't really have an angle in that conversation.

For playoff success, Roy has him covered.
For peak performance, Hasek has him covered.
For consistency and regular season success, Brodeur has him covered.

It will take an extraordinary finish to his career to dislodge one of those 3 IMO, let alone make an argument for top 3 of all time. Doesn't make him any less of a fantastic goaltender but realistically, top 3 will be a very, very, very difficult argument to make if his remaining career plays out on the same trajectory.

Blainer114*

Maverick
Jun 8, 2016
Toronto
A good point brought up on tsn... lundqvist made it that fast because of shoot out wins. They obv didn't have those with the rest of the goalies who made it even quicker without shoot outs

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
A good point brought up on tsn... lundqvist made it that fast because of shoot out wins. They obv didn't have those with the rest of the goalies who made it even quicker without shoot outs

This has been addressed in this thread and some Rangers fans brought up a good point that Lundqvist also had the relative disadvantage of playing in a league with more parity than in previous times. Both of these reasons are why it's hard to compare records like this across eras, hence why the "fastest in history" title is fairly meaningless.

It doesn't make it much less of an accomplishment. End of the day, you can only play the schedule that's laid out for you on the team that you are under contract for within the rules of the league you play in. I hate arguments like "he would have X more Cups if he was on Y team" or "he would have X less wins if he played with ties" and the such.. pure hypotheticals aren't really fair considering Lundqvist is not in control of the factors in play.

That's why context is necessary in threads like this. Not to take away but to help aid in the inevitable (yet largely unnecessary and inappropriate) comparisons. Point should be to celebrate the goalie, not immediately try to downplay (or up-play) his success. Let that stuff wait until all is spoken for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad