Player Discussion Henrik Lundqvist Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Some of you are just out of your minds. Epitome of hyperbolic and reactionary.

Hank had a .906 SV% through January of 2014.

Then he went .934 the rest of the way and was terrific in the playoffs getting to the cup.

Stop overreacting to literally a quarter of a season.

He's struggling but he will pick it up.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Still has had barely over a .900 sv% since last December.

Yeah because the second half of last season was the perfect environment to use to judge a goaltender, that defense was just fine.

Give me a break, that team was statistically bleeding scoring chances at a ridiculously difference to the rest of the league.

GOAT AINEC

Soon..
Jun 4, 2014
Yeah because the second half of last season was the perfect environment to use to judge a goaltender, that defense was just fine.

Give me a break, that team was statistically bleeding scoring chances at a ridiculously difference to the rest of the league.

What's point in making him the highest paid goalie in the league then?

A homeless guy behind Walmart could give us the same level of goaltending Hank has been giving us.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'm pretty sure he will bounce back from this current form which barley holds NHL standard. But for now I'm sick of him losing games on his own and I can't even think of the last one he won for his team, even been one this season? Play Raanta for this upcoming road trip don't care that it is back to back games. Hank should watch a ton of tapes and work on fundamental details which clearly isn't in his spine atm.

He won the Philly game. Was great against Vancouver but didn't win them the game.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
What's point in making him the highest paid goalie in the league then?

A homeless guy behind Walmart could give us the same level of goaltending Hank has been giving us.

It's a new contract where he is making the same % of the total salary cap as his previous deal was when signed.

In 2 years he won't be the highest paid goalie in the league anymore, Price will be.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I'll never understand the 5-on-4 argument AGAINST Hank last season. Led the league at 5v5, yet when we were on the powerplay, forwards and d would overcommit on the puck and literally leave guys wide open backdoor in the slot for a royal road one-timer.

The goal probability for a shot like that is insanely high. Among the worst in xGA/xGA60, SCA/SCA60, and high-danger CA and high-danger GA. Let's keep blaming Hank though for basically being hung out to dry.

Do people seriously not remember how bad the PK was last season?

Blueshirtforlife*

Dec 2, 2016
It's mental with him...he also needs a bit of an ego check imho.

An ego check is why I said in one of my posts in the post game thread that he should have been pulled after the first goal. That's unacceptable. He needs to be embarrassed so maybe he can get pissed off and that motivates him to improve. He's given up horrible goals to begin a game 7 times this season. He needs a kick in the ___.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
An ego check is why I said in one of my posts in the post game thread that he should have been pulled after the first goal. That's unacceptable. He needs to be embarrassed so maybe he can get pissed off and that motivates him to improve. He's given up horrible goals to begin a game 7 times this season. He needs a kick in the ___.
Ego check? What in the world are you talking about? Do you know him personally to give any insight to your statement?

And what was so horrible about the first goal that he should've been pulled?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Ego check? What in the world are you talking about? Do you know him personally to give any insight to your statement?

The first goal was poor. The second goal was bad. The third goal was an utter disgrace.

How's your horse? Blade sharpened?

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Look, I've been a Hank fan since his first year. Wondered why it was taking them so long to make him the starter over Weekes, and staunchly supported him ever since they finally made the call. (With good reason!) But he's been no better than your average backup all season, and much of last season as well.

When's the last time he won the team a game? Heck, when's the last time he made a save that was spectacular?

It's a problem. I hope he gets it sorted out sooner rather than later.

GOAT AINEC

Soon..
Jun 4, 2014

It more so has do with the fact he allows a goal on the first shot he faces every single game.

He does need an ego check.. No accountable at all from him. You will never hear him say he needs to be better, he just puts the blame on everyone else.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
If a goalie can't make a difference on those so-called high danger shots, the team needs to spend more money on defensemen who take away those high danger shots. Lundqvist at 8.5m is not doing enough to warrant that salary. He is a great goalie, but with the way this team is structured, we are not winning the Cup.

Depth on defense >>> Elite goalie

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
If a goalie can't make a difference on those so-called high danger shots, the team needs to spend more money on defensemen who take away those high danger shots. Lundqvist at 8.5m is not doing enough to warrant that salary. He is a great goalie, but with the way this team is structured, we are not winning the Cup.

Depth on defense >>> Elite goalie

Conceptually, That's fine. But when the Rangers already have 10M+ tied up in Staal and Girardi, I'm not quite sure that throwing more money at the problem is going to be a solution - at least not now.

As for Lundqvist, he's clearly not right. Is it mental/a focus issue? Maybe. For the people saying he deserves to be embarrassed/it's an ego thing, I hope you seek and find the help you deserve. My personal opinion is it's a two fold problem

1. He's just simply not doing a good job tracking the puck and interpreting the play in front of him. That can be more of a focus thing, but
2. I also think he's got some technical issues. What I'm not sure of is if a little time with Allaire and a couple games off would solve them or if the issue is centered around wear and tear at age 34. He is rarely "there and square" which was a hallmark of his game all these years. He seems to be slipping/sliding/flopping around the crease more than ever before - is it a sign that his body is beginning to break down?

Regardless of the reasons, These two things are interconnected. If Lundqvist has any doubts about the technical aspects of his game, it's got to make it that much more difficult to track the play and stay focused.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
He's definitely on his sides and stomach a lot more than I can ever remember.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Conceptually, That's fine. But when the Rangers already have 10M+ tied up in Staal and Girardi, I'm not quite sure that throwing more money at the problem is going to be a solution - at least not now.

As for Lundqvist, he's clearly not right. Is it mental/a focus issue? Maybe. For the people saying he deserves to be embarrassed/it's an ego thing, I hope you seek and find the help you deserve. My personal opinion is it's a two fold problem

1. He's just simply not doing a good job tracking the puck and interpreting the play in front of him. That can be more of a focus thing, but
2. I also think he's got some technical issues. What I'm not sure of is if a little time with Allaire and a couple games off would solve them or if the issue is centered around wear and tear at age 34. He is rarely "there and square" which was a hallmark of his game all these years. He seems to be slipping/sliding/flopping around the crease more than ever before - is it a sign that his body is beginning to break down?

Regardless of the reasons, These two things are interconnected. If Lundqvist has any doubts about the technical aspects of his game, it's got to make it that much more difficult to track the play and stay focused.

My problem is that if he cannot make a difference on those shots, it's not worth it to spend more money on him instead of going with someone else. Top-heavy teams never win Cups. It's all about depth. Having Skjei, Buchnevich, Vesey, Fast and Holden contributing at a low cost certainly helps, but it's not enough.

I feel a team has a better chance at winning it if there is more spent on defense and less on goaltending.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
He's basically turning into late 80s/early 90s Beezer who was a B+ streaky goalie that goes cold for a series of games or weeks.

Those saying he's done it's a little early for that. When goalies start to decline it's up to them to make adjustments and change something. Beezer had to or else he never has that run with Florida in 96, and even Brodeur had some really bad years when the NHL came back in 05-06 but his 11-12 season was very good.

He needs to change his training, technique, and also composure. It's fine he dresses well and is a NY socialite or whatever, but he needs that all in the background and to just go off the grid for a bit while he works on getting his game together.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Ego check because of his body language after every bad goal he gives up....and there are now a lot of them. He's always looking at his defense with his shoulders in the air in a ...wtf are you doing..type gesture.

Our defense has been atrocious for most of this year..but bar none no player is struggling more relative to where they should be than Henrik. He needs to sit and get his head back in the game. He also needs to take responsibility for his awful play in the press and to his teammates...let them know that hes got their backs rather than staring daggers into them when hes off his post.

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
I love Hank, probably my favorite Ranger since I became a fan, but man he's just not there these days. An early goal against and he loses his mind for the rest of the game.

I'd give Raanta a few in a row.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad