Player Discussion Henrik Lundqvist Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Hank is a warrior, 55th playoff win, long live the King!

13012678_10154082681624076_4605204985250732368_n.jpg

:yo:

Kaapodonna

What me worry?
Dec 8, 2007
New Jersey
when is the last break away he stopped in a big game ? just asking 8.5 is a lot of money seeing more teams once again winning in the playoffs with no name goalies

I LOVE Hank as much as any one, but his cap it is hard to swallow. Especially if he keeps trending downward in the coming years. He is still one of the best, but there are definitely parts of his game that are starting to slip. I wish he was immune to age :( .

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Hank's 5v5 WAR this season was 3.

Take three wins away from the Rangers, and they don't make the playoffs.

Me in Hank Part II said:
According to hockey-reference, league average goaltending this year was a .915sv% http://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/stats.html

Lundqvist finished this season at .920. Let's do some extrapolating...

Lundqvist faced 1944 shots this season allowing 156 goals for that .920 sv%. A replacement level goalie (ie. league average) operating at a .915sv% would have allowed 165 goals. 9 more. Very basic and unproven WAR calculations suggest that 6 goals created or taken away is a win. So, Hank's WAR this season was 1.5. Take away three points in the standings, and the Rangers are WC1, and faceoff with the Panthers tonight.

However... if rather than taking into account all game time (PP, PK, 3v3 OT) and just look at 5v5 play [where majority of the game is played and majority of the analysis takes place], league average goaltending was a .925 sv%.

Lundqvist recorded a career best .937 sv% at 5v5 play this season facing 1532 shots and allowing 97 goals. A league average 5v5 goalie with that workload would have allowed 115 goals, 18 more. Lundqvist's WAR at 5v5 was 3. Take 3 wins away from the Rangers, and they don't make the playoffs.

Now, the reason for this post is because I saw a lot of talking in the GDT last night about how it is folly to build a team around the goalie... Part of me agrees and disagrees with this sentiment. It's easy to say, well, if the Rangers didn't have Lundqvist, they'd have better than just league average goaltending... but is that true? You have to figure that there are 15 teams in the league without league average goaltending... how are they all fairing? Hell, there are some teams in the league with league average goaltending that aren't fairing too well, either.

Of course there is the opportunity cost. The $4m you save on goalies could be used elsewhere in the ranks, improving the offense or the defense... but, this Rangers team, for all their faults, finished 7th in the league in goal scoring, and STILL if you replace Lundqvist with league average goaltending, they don't make the playoffs.

So, think about it. How much better can the offense get? How much worse can the goaltending get? Seems to me, there's a much bigger hole going down than there is opportunity going up.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
when is the last break away he stopped in a big game ? just asking 8.5 is a lot of money seeing more teams once again winning in the playoffs with no name goalies

How bad is your memory? It literally happened in the previous game when he stopped Rust on a breakaway just after we made it 2-1.

About 2.5 minutes after they scored the go ahead goal

Q2um6Gs.gif

There you go.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Lest we forget all of the great saves Hank's made in tight on guys like Kessel, Hornquist, etc.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I'd almost want to start Raanta for Game 5. I don't think Hank is mentally in it anymore this season.

I also don't want to have another "Sad Lundqvist after Elimination" picture to add to the collection...

Rangers2319

Jul 15, 2008
CT
You know what pisses me off here is fact that people are blaming hanks salary on crippling the team, you sound insane.

Go look at other goalies....

http://www.generalfanager.com/leagueleaders?position=G&shoots=Both&team=all

hank gets 2.5mil more than 10 other teams in the league which includes 7 mil rask (won a cup) a 6mil crawford (won a few cups) and 6 mil holtby. A lot of goalies are in the 6mil range, hell look at dallas they have 2 5mil goalies totaling over 10mil.

An extra 2.5mil isnt getting you much more especially since over time the cap is expected to rise.

I mean what the heck you waste 1.4mil on tanner ****in glass, 4.5 mil on boyle (who will be gone) and another 11 mil on 2 dmen who are past their prime, and 7.8 mil on a penalty killer

Tell me again how hanks salary is crippling the team?

It comes down to the fact that we need a coach who can properly use the players at his disposal and bringing in players that can actually play

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
You know what pisses me off here is fact that people are blaming hanks salary on crippling the team, you sound insane.

hank gets 2.5mil more than 10 other teams in the league which includes 7 mil rask (won a cup) a 6mil crawford (won a few cups) and 6 mil holtby. A lot of goalies are in the 6mil range, hell look at dallas they have 2 5mil goalies totaling over 10mil.

An extra 2.5mil isnt getting you much more especially since over time the cap is expected to rise.

I mean what the heck you waste 1.4mil on tanner ****in glass, 4.5 mil on boyle (who will be gone) and another 11 mil on 2 dmen who are past their prime, and 7.8 mil on a penalty killer

It comes down to the fact that we need a coach who can properly use the players at his disposal and bringing in players that can actually play

2.5M in savings plus spending other money more wisely on players would be a big deal.

I don't see any reason to pay a goalie more than 6M AAV.

Kaapodonna

What me worry?
Dec 8, 2007
New Jersey
2.5M in savings plus spending other money more wisely on players would be a big deal.

I don't see any reason to pay a goalie more than 6M AAV.

I was coming to post the exact same thing, but you beat me to it. An extra 2.5 million is HUGE in a cap world.

Edit, as I said before. I LOVE Hank, but I thought the contract was absurd for a goalie.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Just think. If we didn't have Boyle or Glass and had Hank or some other good goalie for 2.5M less, we'd have 8.5M to spend. Add in Nash, and bit over 16M.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

Great post. At least Hank works up to his pay rate. Look at those cap hits in bold...

Tanner Glass: $1.45M, 4th line grinder that should be paid $.7M
Dan Boyle: $4.5M, 3rd pairing defenseman that should be paid $2M AT MOST
Dan Girardi: $5.5M, 3rd pairing defenseman that should be paid $2M
Marc Staal: $5.7M, low end 2nd pairing defenseman that should be paid $4M
Rick Nash: $7.8M, declining goal scorer who is worth about $3.5M
Total Cap Space: $24.95M in cap space on ****** players. When you look at what these guys SHOULD be making, it comes out to $12.2M... That is less than HALF of what these idiots are currently paid.

But yes, let's quibble about the $1.5-2.5M we could have saved by getting Quick, Crawford, or Rask.

Oh, and by the way, Quick has a cap circumventing contract--His 10 year $58M contract would normally have not a $7M cap hit, but a $7.25M cap hit--a mere $1.25M less than Lundqvist. but wait, I forgot we could get an INSANE player for that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad