Player Discussion Henrik Lundqvist: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
The cap is flat for the next 3 years and one of the things that means is money for free agent deals is going to be tight and players looking for employment are going to end up knocking on the doors of those teams that still have cap space..

would it shock us if player opt for Europe?

Reactions: egelband

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It's the right thing to do. It'll preserve his legacy. The NYR have been so good to him....

...are those really the reasons that most fans want Lundqvist to retire?

I won't be intellectually dishonest. I hope he retires solely because it would save the Rangers money which they could then use on players to better their future which would likely result in me being a happier fan as they are set up to be more successful.
I am sure that we and management all hope for the same thing. But the"right thing to do" is solely up to Henrik and an internet message board

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
Putting aside the merits it is pretty clear that some fans will think the buyout is perfectly fine, or even an insult to the King. Others, like myself even if he is my favorite athlete of all time, will think a bit less of him since it will hurt the team going forward. This would be an unfortunate ending to the career of the greatest Ranger ever. But time will heal any such wounds and his uniform will be raised to the MSG rafters in a wonderful, emotional ceremony in any event.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
The more uncle Larry writes about it the more I get convinced the Rangers are possibly trying to strong arm him to retire by threatening the buy out.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
The more uncle Larry writes about it the more I get convinced the Rangers are possibly trying to strong arm him to retire by threatening the buy out.

I can't see why he would feel the need to. If the Rangers buy him out he gets paid, is a free agent, and the Rangers look like the bad guy. Nobody is going to look at Hank like they did Drury after he forced a buy out and then retired.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I can't see why he would feel the need to. If the Rangers buy him out he gets paid, is a free agent, and the Rangers look like the bad guy. Nobody is going to look at Hank like they did Drury after he forced a buy out and then retired.
Oh I don't disagree. I'm firmly in the keep him for the final year and trade Georgie camp.

Just pointing out that the team loves to use Larry to get their message out to players/the league, and this to me feels like one of those cases.

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
Larry is a good read but half his "reporting" is trying to drum up controversies and/or influence events. I've seen and heard enough from JD to believe the Rangers are going to take the high road here; pretty sure the last thing they intend to do is strong arm Hank.

Reactions: egelband

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Just pointing out that the team loves to use Larry to get their message out to players/the league, and this to me feels like one of those cases.

Do we know this to still be the case? I'm not necessarily disputing the assertion but I thought this was a Sather thing from when he was the GM and then President. Now that Gorton is the GM and JD is the president, I don't see them operating by putting out their message through Brooks. I dunno. Could be, but it just strikes me as decidedly not the way they would go about things.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Does this have any legs?

does what have legs? thats alot of words to basically say nothing...even if we go on the assumption that there is 1 team interested this still isn't anything to have legs. i'm sure lots of teams would 'take' lundqvist off our hands at 50% if we gave them the 1OA...so what are you paying to unload that salary? the price to move marleau was a 1st rounder.

I'm not suggesting that the rangers would do that and they will buy him out themselves before paying a premium to move him. just saying that 'interest' could mean a lot of different things in this situation.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
The Rangers aren’t trading him and adding value to make a trade happen. No reason to do it. They’ll buy him out worst case. Best case he retires. It’s one or the other. that blogger is dead wrong

Reactions: Leetch3

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Does this have any legs?

Historically, i believe multiple teams have wanted him. Guy wants to be in Ny. I doubt that has changed.

Now if has simply opted not to waive his clause despite interest and then goes to sign elsewhere when his contract is up, well, you draw your own conclusions.

Last edited:

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Said it a while back but I could see a team like Arizona being interested in trading for him to buy him out. Say they sent Goligoski back in the deal. He makes $4m in real salary. The Yotes buy out Hank and only owe him $3m in real salary and they get to spread it over two years as opposed to Gogo's $4m in one year. The cap hit after Hank's buyout is roughly the same as Goligoski's current hit.

Rangers would probably still have to throw in an asset but unless they're truly paying another team to take him I don't see anyone being interested.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Buyout period starts tomorrow. Not sure we see anything tomorrow there is a second buyout window but you’d think they’d want him to have the full free agency period to figure things out. i think it’s now certain hank waited to address the fans publicly until this is official. His silence has made it clear.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Said it a while back but I could see a team like Arizona being interested in trading for him to buy him out. Say they sent Goligoski back in the deal. He makes $4m in real salary. The Yotes buy out Hank and only owe him $3m in real salary and they get to spread it over two years as opposed to Gogo's $4m in one year. The cap hit after Hank's buyout is roughly the same as Goligoski's current hit.

Rangers would probably still have to throw in an asset but unless they're truly paying another team to take him I don't see anyone being interested.
Why Arizona?

They already have Raanta and Kuemper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad