Player Discussion Henrik Lundqvist: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I'm with you guys, but weirdly enough, for the same reason that you may not care as much, this is hitting me extra hard. Henrik is the last vestige of my childhood pro sports obsession. I idolized my favorite athletes growing up - Gretzky, Messier, Richter, Agassi, etc. Henrik came into my existence when I was a teenager and was basically the last athlete that I truly "looked up to" (well, him and Federer). These days, as I'm getting into my 30s with a wife, career aspirations, home responsibilities, practically no free time...it's not the same. That, and also so many of these athletes are young enough that I consider them "kids" - I don't idolize any of them or put all my emotional energy into sports or athletes anymore. Watching it finally end with Hank is kind of the nail-in-the-coffin of my childhood.
This describes perfectly what I'm feeling - exactly.

Gonna be 31 in a couple months, have a wife, just bought a house and have a baby on the way.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
132881FB-2485-417C-A9DE-E788DF23703B.jpeg
Subtle brag about getting laid

the pandemic relationship thread takes exception.

AKA Chief

Sep 29, 2017
Any word on how a buyout would impact the cap under the 35+ Recapture LTIR rule? :sarcasm:
I would still like to see the results of the goalie vote we did years ago regarding the best Rangers of all time. I don't need all the voting info, just the final rankings. Curious to see if Lundqvist or Richter wound up #1. Jussayin...

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Lundqvist is by far a better goalie than Richter

but Richter had the ability to go white hot when it really mattered and win. 94 Cup 96 World Cup really stand out.

Hank did not have that ability.

in a do or die championship game I’d take Richter. As a franchise goalie it’s a no brainer it’s Lundqvist

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

but Richter had the ability to go white hot when it really mattered and win. 94 Cup 96 World Cup really stand out.

in a do or die championship game I’d take Richter. As a franchise goalie it’s a no brainer it’s Lundqvist

Nah, I don't think so. Mike Richters "white hot" playoff run stats in '94 were roughly equivalent to Henrik's CAREER playoff stats. It's not hard to figure out which goalie had the best team(s) in front of him and it wasn't Lundqvist and it wasn't even close.

Just like the Islanders "system/team" play this year could only take the team so far. Eventually, a more talented will KO the "system" team - whether it's in the ECF's or the Final. Henrik did a lot with a lot less than Richter had.

I guess it's personal preference and one guy did win it all but he had quite the cast to get there and almost found a way to lose to NJ and letting Vancouver back in it.

I firmly believe Henrik would've won the Cup with that team, as well and might've been even more successful in that era than Richter was.

We'll never know, though, so it's moot.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I would still like to see the results of the goalie vote we did years ago regarding the best Rangers of all time. I don't need all the voting info, just the final rankings. Curious to see if Lundqvist or Richter wound up #1. Jussayin...

within two years fans will claim Shes is the better goalie. Two years ago fans felt Hank was, decades ago Richter was, before that Johnny Van was, we loved Hanlon, how about that Eddie Mio and we love John Davidson.

Fans are fans

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

I'm sorry, but the Rangers’ failure to ail to win a Cup wasn’t because Lundqvist couldn't "get hot." You put Richter on Hank's teams and Hank on Richter's teams and the Rangers still win in 1994 and still lose in 2014.

Last edited:

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004

I no longer have the ballots, but IIRC Lundqvist just edged out Richter for #1 at the time. This was summer of 2014 after the finals. I think I voted for Richter. Lundqvist went on to have three more 30 win seasons and another another deep playoff run. I would be comfortable putting Lundqvist #1 at this point ring or no ring.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Could you imagine this board after the Francis goal in the '92 playoffs...I shudder...

By far the worst moment of Rangers fandom I've ever witnessed. Pittsburgh was dead & buried before that goal. They didn't lose another game.

It's amazing how Richter was better on breakaways than he was on long, unscreened shots.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
By far the worst moment of Rangers fandom I've ever witnessed. Pittsburgh was dead & buried before that goal. They didn't lose another game.

It's amazing how Richter was better on breakaways than he was on long, unscreened shots.

that Pens was really awesome on paper. After that goal, the team on paper played on the ice. Talent wise it wasn’t even close

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
within two years fans will claim Shes is the better goalie. Two years ago fans felt Hank was, decades ago Richter was, before that Johnny Van was, we loved Hanlon, how about that Eddie Mio and we love John Davidson.

Fans are fans

People might've loved Mio and Davidson, and Hanlon, well, not so much, but I don't think anyone ever thought any of them were great goalies.

Lundqvist, Richter, and Giacomin and the conversation probably stops after that.

McSauer

Defense Wins Games
Feb 18, 2004
Jersey City, NJ
  • He's not being traded; no one would take him even at half salary (especially when they could get him after a potential buyout).
  • Buyout: possibility, no one (team, nor him) look great in that situation.
  • Retirement: would solve many, many problems, and lets Hank go out on his own.
Even with a buyout, what competitive team is taking him on after that happens? With his performance falling off a cliff the past year--not even being the team's starter since he lost the job in March '19--and the glut of goalies available?

Please, Hank; just retire. We love you, but it's time.

Reactions: eco's bones

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
  • He's not being traded; no one would take him even at half salary (especially when they could get him after a potential buyout).
Even with a buyout, what competitive team is taking him on after that happens? With his performance falling off a cliff the past year--not even being the team's starter since he lost the job in March '19--and the glut of goalies available?

I think there's a possibility he is traded, but it won't be for the purpose most people think

Reactions: egelband

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO

This hurts to think about in more ways than one. My mind immediately raced to the Tamer slapshot from center ice that gave Mike his first concussion...

Reactions: egelband

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO

I just don't understand this mindset. Practically no human on earth would walk away from a guaranteed $8.5 million. I love Hank enough to feel like he deserves to get paid and should only retire if he wants to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad