Price- 6.5 Million
Wins: 219
GAA: 2.43
Save Percentage: .920

Ward- 6.3 Million
Wins: 242
GAA: 2.73
Save Percentage: .910

Only Tukka Rask has a better GAA, and Save Percentage and he is making 7 Million.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Tuukka hasn't even played half as many games as Lundqvist. Sample size is such an underrated factor.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
If anyone needs them:

In Game 7's: 5GP, 1.00 GAA, .953 sv%

In games in which the Rangers are facing elimination: 17 GP, 1.71 GAA, .944 sv%

In games in which the Rangers are facing elimination since 2007: 15 GP, 1.33 GAA, .956 sv %

Jeez.

I'm absolutely a Hank homer and I didn't know his numbers in that scenario were THAT good.

Open Mind

Nov 14, 2014
Lundqvist coming back will be a detriment for this team, mark my words.

This is a great run for Talbot, but it's still a backup in a low expectation, fairly low pressure situation during the regular season. This means ZERO in the playoffs and is not remotely indicative Talbot can perform when the stakes and pressure are supremely high in the playoffs.

When the playoffs start, the game isn't just raw skill: it's largely mental constitution and experience. Lundqvist is the best goalie in NYR history, and he is proven and battle tested in the highest pressure settings imaginable. If Hank's healthy, he should start every playoff game. Period.

NYRangers84

President's Trophy
Nov 21, 2009
New York
Tuukka hasn't even played half as many games as Lundqvist. Sample size is such an underrated factor.

Sample size is subjective. How many games does a goalie have to play to get credit?
In your opinion, if Rask played as many games as Lundqvist why do you think his save % would suddenly drop below his? It doesn't make sense to me.

I evaluate goalies based on what team they've played for and their save %.
I like to make a judgement if a goalie faces at least 1000 shots at the NHL level.

Save % since last year (playoffs included), goalie's facing 1000+ shots:
1. Talbot = .9327
2. Price = .9309
3. Rask = .9258
4. Schneider = .9254
5. Varlamov = .9243
6. Luongo = .9228
7. Lundqvist = .9222
8. Elliott = .9217
9. Mason = .9212
10. Bishop = .9206

As you can see, these goalies are all very close and only 1.21% separates #1 from #10. That 1.21% difference could easily be due to team defense.
This tells you the goalie position is the most negligible of all positions in the NHL. That alone should be enough evidence to make you see why NHL goalies (especially Lundqvist) are overpaid.

Not to mention that Lundqvist and Talbot both play for the same team and Talbot's save % is 1.05% higher.

Last edited:

McD27

Jul 11, 2013
This tells you the goalie position is the most negligible of all positions in the NHL. That alone should be enough evidence to make you see why NHL goalies (especially Lundqvist) are overpaid.

:highclap: Agree. This is a point that most on this board don't get. Hank got his fan club (deservedly so) and stood out for many years because we did not have very good teams.

Hot goalies can carry a sub par team in the playoffs. Hank at times had done that but was not great enough to carry us all the way like a hasek had for example.

But if you have a very good team like Chicago (which I think our team is on par with) then you can do it with a decent rent-a-goalie which Talbot can be.

Nothin against Hank but this team can win it without him given what the TEAM had done while he's out.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
You love cherry picking statistics. When reviewing/comparing anything in life sample size is everything. You ask what number of games need to be played? Its not 54.

What about quality of competition? How many games last season were against poor competition?

Also I think everyone here us giving Talbot credit but thinking he is Lundqvist's replacement is incorrect.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
:highclap: Agree. This is a point that most on this board don't get. Hank got his fan club (deservedly so) and stood out for many years because we did not have very good teams.

Hot goalies can carry a sub par team in the playoffs. Hank at times had done that but was not great enough to carry us all the way like a hasek had for example.

But if you have a very good team like Chicago (which I think our team is on par with) then you can do it with a decent rent-a-goalie which Talbot can be.

Nothin against Hank but this team can win it without him given what the TEAM had done while he's out.

Yes let's put the Rangers best chance of winning a cup (preplayoffs) in the lap of a goalie with zero playoff experience.

Especially when you have a healthy future hall of fame goalie who has elite playoff statistics and was the main reason why the Rangers even got out of the second round last season.

NYRangers84

President's Trophy
Nov 21, 2009
New York
Yes let's put the Rangers best chance of winning a cup (preplayoffs) in the lap of a goalie with zero playoff experience.

Especially when you have a healthy future hall of fame goalie who has elite playoff statistics and was the main reason why the Rangers even got out of the second round last season.

Playoff experience is overrated. Yes goalies have more pressure but that is counteracted by the fact that teams tighten up defensively.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Playoff experience is overrated. Yes goalies have more pressure but that is counteracted by the fact that teams tighten up defensively.

Now that first sentence is subjective. There is less space in the playoffs but stating playoff experience is overrated is completely off base.

Listen to playoff broadcasts, all the commentators and "hockey expert analysts" always mention playoff experience.

McD27

Jul 11, 2013

Really? I believe Hank got pulled in game 6 in Philly. He had a good series vs the pens. We beat the habs because Price got hurt and after they beat the Bs they thought they won the cup already. We got to the SCF due to some breaks. Overall he played well but it was not all Hank. He would not have won the Conn Smyth. wake up.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Really? I believe Hank got pulled in game 6 in Philly. He had a good series vs the pens. We beat the habs because Price got hurt and after they beat the Bs they thought they won the cup already. We got to the SCF due to some breaks. Overall he played well but it was not all Hank. He would not have won the Conn Smyth. wake up.

Who on the Rangers wins the Conn Smythe other than him, Derek Dorsett, Brian Boyle?

This is a point that most on this board don't get.

I am just curious, is it this ridiculous, untrue, and erroneous point we also do not get:

I say his overall playoff performance is very average.

"His" is meaning Henrik Lundqvist just so we are clear....................

I can totally make stuff up about Hank too, like as a kid he hung out at the Neverland Ranch because he is related to the Elephant Man, it doesn't make it true.

If anyone needs them:

In Game 7's: 5GP, 1.00 GAA, .953 sv%

In games in which the Rangers are facing elimination: 17 GP, 1.71 GAA, .944 sv%

In games in which the Rangers are facing elimination since 2007: 15 GP, 1.33 GAA, .956 sv %

Apparently, MDwhatever needs them.

Last edited:

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol

Oh god so do you agree with these two and think that Tokarski is just as good as Price?

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA

I see your just as subjective as NYRangers84.

Rangers don't get the opportunity to play the Habs without Lundqvist!

Also just about every team that makes it to the SCF had a few breaks go there way to make it.

As for your last comment I think you need to take some of your own advice.

The bottom line to this is when Lundqvist and the team management think he's ready to play, Cam is back in the bench.

I thank him for his efforts and they have been excellent, but he will not remain the starter. In the off season Sather will see what trade options are out there for him and if the right deal comes along he pulls the trigger. If it doesn't we have one of the top backups in the league next season to lighten Lundqvists game load a bit.

hawthorne*

Honestly I'm just baffled by some people here. It's fantastic that Talbot is playing well, but are we really comparing his month-long hot stretch to Hank's career? He has been fantastic for a decade, won the Swedish championships and Olympics at 23, carried the Swedish team to a silver medal last year, and has consistently put up amazing numbers for 10 seasons. He definitely would have won the Conn Smythe had the Rangers won last year – he made 40 saves in 3 of the games in the SCF and almost 50 saves in the last game. He was unreal in the last game against the Pens and the last against the Habs.

He deserves the money. He deserves to get the start in the playoffs. He's the face of the franchise. He was putting up great numbers before he got injured. Unless he somehow is completely out of shape I don't see why a backup goalie with no playoff experience would get the start over the amazingly competitive guy who has put up great numbers in the playoffs for almost a decade and made 50 saves in the final game last year.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Sample size is subjective. How many games does a goalie have to play to get credit?
In your opinion, if Rask played as many games as Lundqvist why do you think his save % would suddenly drop below his? It doesn't make sense to me.

I evaluate goalies based on what team they've played for and their save %.
I like to make a judgement if a goalie faces at least 1000 shots at the NHL level.

Save % since last year (playoffs included), goalie's facing 1000+ shots:
1. Talbot = .9327
2. Price = .9309
3. Rask = .9258
4. Schneider = .9254
5. Varlamov = .9243
6. Luongo = .9228
7. Lundqvist = .9222
8. Elliott = .9217
9. Mason = .9212
10. Bishop = .9206

As you can see, these goalies are all very close and only 1.21% separates #1 from #10. That 1.21% difference could easily be due to team defense.

Not to mention that Lundqvist and Talbot both play for the same team and Talbot's save % is 1.05% higher.
Love how you pick facing 1000+ shots as your base line for determing how good a goalie...because it is convenient for your argument. Unfortunately that does not show anything whatsoever, especially the other intangibles that play into the other stats to consider such as the one Dactly pointed out, games played.

All of those goalies accept for 3 (Luongo, Schneider, and Talbot) played in the playoffs last year where the stakes are much higher and the pressure is at a different level. Human factors that can affect a goalies performance. Talbot's two short appearances in relief of Henrik are absolutely irrelevant and cannot be used as a measurement.

Machinehead posted Henrik's astounding game 7 statistics and elimination game statistics. He is a the king for a reason. That is who you go all in with no matter what Talbot has done during a stretch where the roster in front of him as been red hot.

But hey Henrik didn't face a 1000+ shots in those game 7's/elimination games so i guess those stats he posted arent worthy...

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
“@HartnettHockey: In less than an hour, #NYR goaltender Henrik Lundqvist is expected to skate at 10:30 with teammates for the first time since Feb. 2.”

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
Love how you pick facing 1000+ shots as your base line for determing how good a goalie...because it is convenient for your argument. Unfortunately that does not show anything whatsoever, especially the other intangibles that play into the other stats to consider such as the one Dactly pointed out, games played.

All of those goalies accept for 3 (Luongo, Schneider, and Talbot) played in the playoffs last year where the stakes are much higher and the pressure is at a different level. Human factors that can affect a goalies performance. Talbot's two short appearances in relief of Henrik are absolutely irrelevant and cannot be used as a measurement.

Machinehead posted Henrik's astounding game 7 statistics and elimination game statistics. He is a the king for a reason. That is who you go all in with no matter what Talbot has done during a stretch where the roster in front of him as been red hot.

But hey Henrik didn't face a 1000+ shots in those game 7's/elimination games so i guess those stats he posted arent worthy...

You know, playoff sample size I think we can use them. I think 10 shots are a good determinant of how you will be as a goalie in the playoffs...

Cam Talbot has a career .846% in the playoffs.

OnlyTruth

Objectivity&Justice
Dec 2, 2013

This! For years including this season many people had said that without Hank Rangers wouldn't even make the playoffs. I was so brain washed that for a moment I was even questioning how other teams play without Hank. This insane myth is now melted away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad