Tribute Henrik Lundqvist Appreciation Thread

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Remember very early on his career Lundqvist had this thing where every 5-10 games or so he would just give up this batshit insane soft goal

dapowl

kaapo kakko.
Aug 22, 2017
Dresden
Thank you Henrik

No. 30 the first Jersey I got, then the first ranger player signature I got live from him. What moments and games I stayed up till 4 AM to see him and the team compete, waking up neighbours screaming in awe. Unfortunately I could never see you at the garden. You will be missed and not hearing sam call your saves will be weird.

Thank you Henrik for defining the franchise the last decade and for making me a true blue rangers hockey fan!

All the best from the bottom of our hearts!

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
When I was 22 in 2005, after several years of having dropped out of college, living with my parents, and otherwise not having much going for me besides my band, I moved to North Carolina for a fresh start. When I got here, it was hard to be away from home. I think it would have been quite a bit harder if I didn't have the special year the Rangers gave us in 2005-06. It gave me and my dad a lot to talk about in our twice-weekly conversations. It kept me connected to him and my brother. A ton of the credit for that goes to Lundqvist. The impact of Lundqvist goes WAY beyond simply being a fan of the team. He's been the anchor of the team, and therefore the anchor of a big part of my reality, for the entirety of my adult life. Yeah, yeah, I know... I was 22, not 18. In a lot of ways, my adult life didn't start until then.

Today is an extremely sad day. Being a sports fan in this day and age, and having been a Rangers fan for over 30 years, you get used to players coming and going. The team will continue on, and our future looks f***ing amazing from where I sit. But it's still sad and it still hurts.

The one consolation is that it sounds like this was as much his choice as it was the team's.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
When I was 22 in 2005, after several years of having dropped out of college, living with my parents, and otherwise not having much going for me besides my band, I moved to North Carolina for a fresh start. When I got here, it was hard to be away from home. I think it would have been quite a bit harder if I didn't have the special year the Rangers gave us in 2005-06. It gave me and my dad a lot to talk about in our twice-weekly conversations. It kept me connected to him and my brother. A ton of the credit for that goes to Lundqvist. The impact of Lundqvist goes WAY beyond simply being a fan of the team. He's been the anchor of the team, and therefore the anchor of a big part of my reality, for the entirety of my adult life. Yeah, yeah, I know... I was 22, not 18. In a lot of ways, my adult life didn't start until then.

Today is an extremely sad day. Being a sports fan in this day and age, and having been a Rangers fan for over 30 years, you get used to players coming and going. The team will continue on, and our future looks f***ing amazing from where I sit. But it's still sad and it still hurts.

The one consolation is that it sounds like this was as much his choice as it was the team's.
Can't say it much better than this. Henrik came to the forefront of my sports fandom at a time in my life where stability and positive distractions were extremely important in my personal life. The impact of his career on me goes well beyond just stats, games won, etc.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Best Rangers goaltender of my lifetime by a comfortable margin and Giacomin was an HOF'er and Richter won us a Cup. Until the letter came out any game the Rangers against anybody that Henrik played we had at least a decent chance of winning.

The two best homegrown players of my lifetime were Henrik and Leetch and I could go back and forth on who was the better but it's really about a tie. Time is something that catches up with everyone and we can't turn back the clock--what's left is to look forward and we have a lot to look forward to.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Much more emotional today than I thought I would be.

You were at your best when it mattered the most. Lived and died with each game like we did.

As fans, what more could we ever have asked for?

Forever our King.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
One of the things about Lundqvist that made me respect him even more was the level of detail and thoughtfulness he would give in his answers in the post-game interviews this past season, even as he saw his playing time dwindle and was relegated to a backup role. Showed a lot of class like he always did throughout his career and it couldn't have been easy for him. Most NHL players give dull, canned cliche answers but Lundqvist was better than that. Even in the end he was still a class act off the ice as well. And I think the people around him notice that professionalism and dignity--the reporters, his teammates, his coaches and the fans. I know the nickname "The Perfect Human" is Bergeron's but it applies to Lundqvist as well.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I'm only slightly bitter that all the player-homages will be for both Staal and Hank. I mean, nothing against Staal - he deserves the respect and messages - but Hank is on a different tier. Don't group them together...

Governor

Nov 8, 2019
End of an era for sure. Lundqvist is what made me a hockey fan, and a Rangers fan. While it is a shame he never won a cup here with the Rangers, it does not diminish the pleasure and privilege it has been to watch him play (so far) his whole career here.

I don't know anything about the sport (am a casual viewer) but I believe Henrik Lundqvist was the best goalie I've seen in my 15 years watching the sport. I have no doubt he will find himself in the Hall of Fame once he is eligible.

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. I feel like hockey fans, and especially Rangers fans have been blessed to watch this man for all these years playing at such a high level.

Baby Duck Homme

Still waiting to catch a puck from Fotiu...
Sep 14, 2005
Jersey City NJ
Some teams seem to be blessed historically in certain positions. For The Mets it’s starting pitching. For The Rangers it’s goaltending. Giacomin, Vanbiesbrook, Richter... Hank stands above them all. It was a pleasure to have Hank to root for. The coolest, handsomest and best goalie in the league for a decade plus.

He deserves all the coming accolades. The jersey number retirement, the HOF and spot as the best goalie of his generation.

Change can be bittersweet. The Henrik chapter with this team is over. I enjoyed it.

KennyWu

Oct 14, 2010
Man, knew this day was coming soon, but it still hurts...

Absolute legend. Had the pleasure of meeting him outside of MSG once and he was as nice as could be. Can't believe he won't be a part of the team, but look forward to a packed MSG one day when they put #30 in the rafters..

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
So many memories, so many great moments, but I thought I would share something very personal.

On May 18, 2012 I flew to New York to attend the Rangers playoff game the next day in New Jersey. My daughter was due any minute and sure enough soon after I landed, I got the phone call that she had delivered.

While we had discussions about what she would name the baby, I was stunned to hear his exact name was “Henrik Bob”. I cry pretty easily but that sure put me over the top. What a great name to carry through life. The next day The King pitched a 2-0 shutout at the pebble and (I thought) it put the Rangers in a great position to win the series.

True to his name, our Henrik has become a big fan of the “Hockey Rangers” as he still calls them. His room has all kinds of Lundqvist memorabilia. Our favorite is the picture below which was taken while he was holding a sign saying “ Hi, Henrik, my name is Henrik too!

Coincidentally, Henrik and my daughter were at The Garden on March 7, when Henrik appeared for the last time in New York as a Ranger.

There are so many emotions, so many memories, so many things I’d like to say but it all can be summed up like this...

Thank You Henrik, you were truly “The King”

Last edited:

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Thank you for all the amazing memories, Hank. From watching you take the reigns in 05, so many incredible playoff runs, nearly carrying this team to the pinnacle of the sport, and being the cornerstone of this franchise for 15 years. He goes down as my favorite that I watched and cheered for thus far in my short life, and I expect it will take something truly magical to supplant him.

I remember back in 05 near the end of the lockout and reading up on a few of the young kids the Rangers had coming, there was this swedish goalie who had incredible numbers in the SHL the year prior, I hoped he could come here and make a difference. He sure as shit did.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad