News Article: Hemsky gone?

M4TR1X

Dec 1, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
I think he would have to take a pay cut and might only get a 1 or 2 year deal on a elite team.

With the cap going up. I don't think his paycut would be too harsh.
This would benefit him in the long run when playing with elite players.
Statistics should be better which will produce a new lucrative contract than before.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
On a 1 yr deal? If it means making 2-3 million less 1 year to making 1-2 million more per year for the next 5 years? Yes.

Pretty risky considering you could get injured or slump, then be $10 million poorer than if you'd signed the bigger contract.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Pretty risky considering you could get injured or slump, then be $10 million poorer than if you'd signed the bigger contract.

I would take that risk. The chances of him upping his value riding shotgun to Crosby or Malkin are greater then the chances of his value decreasing.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Man, the amount of things you guys are pulling out of thin air is ridiculous.

Just hurriedly read through 6 pages waiting to see some sort of relevant post, but could never find it.

I'll wait for a Sens beat writer to say one way or another.

Sensored

May 20, 2004
Ottawa
I think i'm in the middle of the two arguments on here. We don't need to spend to the cap to be competitive but we also need to spend more than we are now if we expect to make the playoffs. You could make the Sens very competitive for around $58 million, if Eugene can't spend that much Sens are in trouble.

Hypothetically let's say we traded Cowen and Greening for a winger, resigned Hemsky and signed 1 UFA - Niskanen.

MacArthur (3.25) - Turris (3.5) - Ryan (5.5625)
TRADE (2.0) - Spezza (4.0) - Hemsky (5.0)
Hoffman (0.85) - Zibanejad (0.8325) - Stone (0.575)
Condra (1.3) - Smith (1.7) - Neil (2.1)
Pageau (0.66)

Niskanen (5.5) - Karlsson (6.5)
Methot (3.75) - Ceci (0.925)
Phillips (2.5) - Wiercioch (2.2)
Borowiecki (0.6)

Anderson (3.5)
Lehner (1.5)

Total = $58,305,000

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The Penguins could probably afford to let Niskanen go depending on how much money he wants: they are a cap team and depending on how they see the future they might not be able to afford Niskanen and do whatever else they want to do (get a bonafide top line winger for Crosby)

Pittsburgh has amazing depth on defense both in the NHL and in their prospect pools

All that isn't all that relevant to us though, the team isn't going to spend that much on the roster. Niskanen will go to team that is ready to compete, not waiting to be ready to start thinking about competing like Ottawa currently is

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Sure if I made 34 million dollars over the last 7Years

Hemsky which everyone knows has a reputation to be injury prone (true or not) and being 31 years old this summer, you would give him that much money as a GM?

Sens could match it.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
It doesn't take much to read between the lines RE: Hemsky's comments. There is no way he is back. He is not going to sign with a bubble team. A sure-fire playoff team will offer him comparable money, and he'll go there.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
It doesn't take much to read between the lines RE: Hemsky's comments. There is no way he is back. He is not going to sign with a bubble team. A sure-fire playoff team will offer him comparable money, and he'll go there.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but what comment specifically are you referring to?

Senafan

May 17, 2013
I'm not saying you're wrong, but what comment specifically are you referring to?

Wants to play with Spezza, but overall is fairly non-committal. Would not be the most surprising thing to see him leave for a better team / bigger contract. We'll see.

“We’re having meetings now (between his agent and Senators general manager Bryan Murray) and we’ll see what’s going on. I’ve got to know what’s the future here and what they’re thinking and I will go from there. It’s just a few talks, nothing really big. I’m not rushing anything. I will see my options.â€

“I want to play with a good centre,†said Hemsky, scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1. “That’s the most important for me. Jason been great to me. I had a blast to play with him. I would like to know what they want to do.â€

“It’s the first time I will be a free agent, if it comes to it. I just want to play for a good team, a winning team, because I’ve missed the playoffs for the last eight years. I just want to play i the playoffs. That’s my goal.â€

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
In a couple years?

Melnyk better get the Pocket book out now... A year from now Spezza, Ryan, Methot, MacArthur and Anderson hit UFA

That's 10 million in raises... And the team still has holes today

My guess is two of the five won't be in Ottawa when the dust settles.

MacArthur and Ryan are probably the only players Murray goes hard after intially, the others will be TBDs.

Based on all the reports I have to believe Spezza is gone.

Anderson will only be offered a contract if he is willing to be a 1B.

Methot will stay if he doesn't ask for too much money.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I would take that risk. The chances of him upping his value riding shotgun to Crosby or Malkin are greater then the chances of his value decreasing.

Not really. NHL GMs aren't that stupid. Everyone knows that any scrub put along side either of those guys will have a great year. Not saying Hemsky is a scrub, but he definitely wouldn't be the engine on that line.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
And if Spezza and perhaps Hemsky isn't back does Ryan re-sign, does Mac wanna be here long-term? Will Karlsson ask out? This off-season has the potential to be disastrous.

...and if they all decide they love Ottawa and want to stay here for the rest of their careers, will Eugene open up the pocketbook to build a contender?

...and if we build a contender, with the NHL even allow the Sens to compete on a level playing field against the darling teams in the league?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00