Post-Game Talk: Hemming and Hawing: Oilers win 3-2 over Senators

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
The way he's talking and the team is talking, it's as if he was already traded. Wouldn't it be something if he didn't end up moving at all? I doubt that will be the case though. There's been a lot of interest in him this year.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Why is everyone suddenly gushing over Hemsky? This is the same guy that has played inconsistent for us on a nightly basis, since forever.

Need I remind everyone he has nine goals in 55 games this season ? Boyd Gordon and Ryan Smyth each have one less goal than Hemsky.

:shakehead

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Came here to comment on the Hemsky reception, found it somewhat heartwarming, even to a closet oiler fan. Him signing the glass was a nice touch. Thought he played great.

Its funny because the Sens are not a playoff team or anything, and in huge danger of entering the Calgary Flames "not horrible but not playoff good" zone for the next 10 years

That being said, the Oilers deserve all the hate they get

Can't leave without laughing at this.

Oiler11

Oct 6, 2006
Why is everyone suddenly gushing over Hemsky? This is the same guy that has played inconsistent for us on a nightly basis, since forever.

Need I remind everyone he has nine goals in 55 games this season ? Boyd Gordon and Ryan Smyth each have one less goal than Hemsky.

What have you done for me lately, eh? Never mind that he scored some of the most awe-inspiring goals in Oilers history.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton

Because we like him.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond

The gushing has nothing to do with what he is now, but for his service to the team over his 11 years as an Oiler, itself an uncommon feat for this franchise. It wasn't always spotless and he'll always be dogged by the "what could have been" tag, but for a lot of fans he created some fond memories.

I don't think anyone's saying he was a superstar or anything like that. He had the talent to be in that echelon, but not quite the drive to be that player. In that regard he reminded me a bit of Kent Nilsson...although Kenta was even more talented.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
We'll see how much people like when, if he's not even traded.

I think they should definitely trade him, I'd be a bit perturbed if they didn't. That doesn't mean I can't look back fondly at his career as an Oiler. One of the only exciting players the Oilers had for the last fifteen years.

n7

Oct 15, 2011
Edmonton
Was at the game tonight.

What an end to a great career here in Edmonton for Hemsky!

Hope he finds a good new home tomorrow :handclap:

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
I think they should definitely trade him, I'd be a bit perturbed if they didn't. That doesn't mean I can't look back fondly at his career as an Oiler. One of the only exciting players the Oilers had for the last fifteen years.

I guess I see where you guys are coming from.

I just found it strange to see so many people praising Hemsky, when I'm so used to seeing the opposite on here.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Hemsky showed he's a great player when fully invested. It's a shame he hasn't gotten to play more playoff games cause I do believe those are the games where he shines the most. He'llbbe a great addition to whatever team gets him.

Entertaining game, in no way flawless but our team seemed like they gave a rats behind tonight and that's nice for a change.

Scrivens looked amazing as per usual.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Hopefully when Ales goes it's the end of the "free ride" era.

The Oilers will be tougher to play against no matter who takes his spot, and the Oilers win % over the next ten years will be double what it was with Hemsky here.

Yep. What a coaster. The same Ales Hemsky that played excited last night went the 7 games before that without a point. The same Hemsky only scored 3 goals in the past 30GP.

I kept hearing the announcers say "how many times have the Oilers seen that play" after the first goal. My immediate thought was not bloody often and especially not anytime lately.

The new improved Hemsky, now with 2 more career goals that Raffi torres:p:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The gushing has nothing to do with what he is now, but for his service to the team over his 11 years as an Oiler, itself an uncommon feat for this franchise. It wasn't always spotless and he'll always be dogged by the "what could have been" tag, but for a lot of fans he created some fond memories.

I don't think anyone's saying he was a superstar or anything like that. He had the talent to be in that echelon, but not quite the drive to be that player. In that regard he reminded me a bit of Kent Nilsson...although Kenta was even more talented.

The gushing is odd. Funny that when Smyth was traded the most frequent comment here was "fake tears" and basically driving Smyth to the airport type comments. Didn't Smyth deserve better? A player with 3 times the career goals scored than Hemsky.

For me Hemsky was always an enigma, and usually frustrating. A guy that disappears entirely for multiple games at a time where you wonder why he's even in the lineup and who is a winger, and doesn't bring anything else to the table.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Been said, but I'm gonna miss Hemsky when he is inevitably traded today. He did the Oil one last favour by putting up a strong last game and hopefully upping his price today.

Nultz had a decent game as well, again hopefully the scouts saw that and we get all we can for him when he goes today as well.

Overall the Oilers looked like the better of the 2 teams even though they were outshot. Sens are just plain garbage team. Oilers had better scoring chances overall but the amount of giveaways was pathetic. The fact that the sens couldn't capitalize on those shows how bad of a team they really are. I really hope Scrivens can play like this next year as well when it really counts. I'm really confident that we have a much much better year next year with the new goalie tandem.

Smyth - WTF were u doing on that call with 50s left, like seriously what were u thinking?

Goodbye Hemmer! Thanks for the memories. Don't destroy us in the future though please.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
What have you done for me lately, eh? Never mind that he scored some of the most awe-inspiring goals in Oilers history.

This is what I never get. Most awe inspiring in Oilers history? That's hyperbole for anybody over 30.

For those here that did see the greats play its hard to even read something like that without replying.

Next I'll remind that Hemsky actually scored rarely considering somebody that gets so much credit for his apparent goal scoring ability.

But its the kind of unabashed comment like the bolded that is just incomprehensible.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Hemsky was (still is until the end of the day I would think) a core piece of the team that I have followed since they entered the NHL, for over a decade. He scored one of the more recent memorable goals and had undeniable skill.

While far from a perfect player, he never once slammed the city, the team, or other players, despite being one of the only players to have to play through the worst stretch of Oilers hockey in the franchise's existence.

I hope he goes to a team I can cheer for, because I would love to cheer for that team to win a Cup.

There comes a point where maybe people can set their complaining aside, if even for a day, and appreciate some of the good things that Hemsky has done for the city, the team, and its fans - despite his flaws, like any player in the league.

We get it, he's not Wayne Gretzky, or even Doug Weight. He's Ales Hemsky, and while he's driven me crazy at times, I've enjoyed many parts of his time in Edmonton as well. So glad he had the game he did last night.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Granted there still was mistakes, I was quite impressed with the overall effort. Offensive I thought we were making smart moves. While in the offensive zone without the puck we seemed to be in the right place. Defense wasn't the greatest and allowed that first shot a lot more than they should've, but we had a goalie making the first save and then the players were clearing the puck away from the net.

Overall it was a decent game to watch.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
This is what I never get. Most awe inspiring in Oilers history? That's hyperbole for anybody over 30.

For those here that did see the greats play its hard to even read something like that without replying.

Can't you try a little harder?

For an entire generation of Oilers fans, Ales Hemsky was the only reason to watch the team on a lot of nights. Sorry that rankles your Baby Boomer entitlement, but thems the facts.

Next I'll remind that Hemsky actually scored rarely considering somebody that gets so much credit for his apparent goal scoring ability.

But its the kind of unabashed comment like the bolded that is just incomprehensible.

Well, unlike past Oilers greats, Hemsky played in an era where goaltending and defence existed. So there's that.

Pennertration

Oct 25, 2007
Calgary
One of those goals where you remember exactly where you were when it happened.

Tomorrow is going to suck when/if he gets dealt. :(

Anyone have a ticket stub from that game (Game 6 vs. Detroit in 06) they'd be willing to part with? That was the best Oiler game I ever saw live and I have a picture of Hemsky I'll soon be hanging in my mancave - would like to include that ticket stub and a hockey card with the photo. Will look nice all framed.

Anyway, yes, today will be sad when/if Hemsky goes. Despite his shortcomings he was a very important player to the Oilers and at times the face of the franchise. I, for one, will miss him and cheer him on in other markets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad