Line Combos: Helm to start on wing with Datsyuk

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
poor pavel....dunno if babs would hamstring him that much.

helm-pav-mule
abby-Z-nyquist
tatar-sheahan-alfie/weiss
miller-LG-weiss/cleary

Helm AND Abdelkader in our top 6????

Please god no :(

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Mule-Z-Nyquist
Helm-Datsyuk-Mantha/Jurco/Alfredsson
Tatar-Sheahan-Abdelkader
Miller-Andersson-Glendening

Not my preferred choice, but I could live with that.

As long as Cleary isn't in the top 9, I will be ok.

Edit: I forgot Weiss! These are weird lines!

Let me try again.

Helm-Datsyuk-Franzen
Zetterberg-Weiss-Nyquist
Tatar-Franzen-Abdelkader
Miller-Sheahan-Glendening

Not going to lie. This is pretty weird trying to make lines with.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
Darren 'no hands' Helm?

Darren 'never-scored-more-than-12-goals-in-a-season' Helm?

If Helm were playing opposite Kane or Kessel it would be one thing but this makes our top six suck even worse.

Its either Darren 'never-scored-more-than-12-goals-in-a-season' Helm

or Justin "never scored more then 10 goals in a season" Abby

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Remember Draper on the top line? Yeah, this is going to be worse than that. we have the depth to have Helm center the fourth line and roll four good lines for the first time in four or five years. Instead, we may go out of our way to make sure our fourth line is mediocre as hell.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Remember Draper on the top line? Yeah, this is going to be worse than that. we have the depth to have Helm center the fourth line and roll four good lines for the first time in four or five years. Instead, we may go out of our way to make sure our fourth line is mediocre as hell.

That's Our Babcock!

Roy S

May 16, 2009
Zetterberg- Datsyuk- Helm
Nyquist- Weiss- Franzen
Tatar- Sheahan- Alfredsson
Miller- Glendening- Abdelkader
Cleary- Andersson

I think that's what he's planning assuming he still sees Weiss as a center. If not, Franzen would probably play alongside D and Z would center the 2nd line with Weiss either on his wing or swapping spots with Alfie on Sheahan's wing on the 3rd line.

It mostly just means they aren't using Helm on the 4th line and will try him on the wing.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Why is Babs putting someone he called one of the best 3C's in the game on wing in the top6? You should play people to their strengths... Helm is good on the dot, he's tenacious and plays the perfect style for a bottom6 forward.

I do not understand this move. It's not as though we lack for skilled wingers who can play with Datsyuk. Franzen, Z, Nyquist, Jurco, (Alfie?) maybe even Tatar or Pulkinnen. Why Helm?

I suspect it has more to do with him wanting Glendening to stick at 4C than anything else. If that's correct, Babs needs to be brought in line. Glendening is not a 4C on a contending team. He's got grit, hard work, and heart in spades. But he isn't good at faceoffs and he lacks even marginal offensive ability. He needs to put the best players in positions according to their abilities.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If the concern is the logjam at center, why not move Sheahan to the top 6?

He has demonstrated more offensive ability than both Abdelkader and Helm.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Unlike Abdelkader, At least Helm can put the puck in the net.

Really?

Helm might be a tad better, but that's not saying much.

Gator 38 goals in 337 games
Helm 44 goals in 291 games

Another player with almost zero offensive acumen being put on the top six.

I feel like the Wings are sponsoring one of their top six spots to the Make a Wish foundation.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It's not sabotage. I don't agree with it, but I think Babcock is trying to execute a specific strategy, to provide a specific structure.

@jtbourne
Will write this up down the road, but chatting w/ Babcock made me rethink the role of the winger in the D-zone. W/ biggers zones, and all

If Zetterberg, or someone like Mantha, is the off winger on the line, it could be a decent strategy. But I don't like the way it trickles down to the other lines.

Roy S

May 16, 2009
Helm generates lots of scoring chances and he scores well at even strength. His offense is being sold short. He also draws a lot of penalties. Its worth a shot.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Anyone know much about gifs that could educate me how to make the joker going "here we go" when my liver gets rewarded by babcocks out of this dimension lineups?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad