Canada
Don't think so.

Abs - Zeta - Gus
Mule - Brad - Tats
Jurco - Shea - Pulks
Mills - Glendy - Andy/Lando
(Cleary)

Need another injury, for a center.

Well I would assume he still has to earn it, as a spot on a Ken Holland managed team will never be given. If Larkin wants to be an NHL player he will need to beat out NHL players. That said, I believe he can draw into that lineup. Its reasonable to believe that after training camp Larkin has established himself as a better player than Cleary, Andersson, and Ferarro. Hell, he could have a better camp than Miller, Pulkinnen and Jurco. But obviously the biggest barrier to Larkin making the NHL is the numbers game. When we are healthy there is simply no room for Larkin.

However, if Helm is put on IR it opens up a roster spot. Cleary is not a top 15 FWD in the organization therefore he is destined to the AHL sooner than later. Why not do so right after camp? Deal with the inevitable and give the man his assignment before the season starts. Now there is room to have Larkin on the roster. He can play a few games to acclimate himself with the NHL and figure out what it takes to play at that level. He can even use it as motivation. Then when Pavel and Helm return to the lineup you send Larkin to Grand Rapids to work on his game in all situations.

I see no downside to giving Larkin a couple games if Helm can't start the season. It seams like a win-win.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
While I'm not wishing an injury on anybody, let's just say that I really hope guys like Helm and Franzen are as thorough as humanly possible for taking every single day off that they can to get completely healthy...and that all those missed games add up to not bringing back either player next year. One is already overpaid, and if the other has even a lukewarm season, he'll be next for Holland rewarding the past instead of the present. Averaging 27 points over the last five seasons (removing the year he was hurt), with no skill to go with that speed, just isn't my idea of a target to overpay when they hit free agency.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
While I'm not wishing an injury on anybody, let's just say that I really hope guys like Helm and Franzen are as thorough as humanly possible for taking every single day off that they can to get completely healthy...and that all those missed games add up to not bringing back either player next year. One is already overpaid, and if the other has even a lukewarm season, he'll be next for Holland rewarding the past instead of the present. Averaging 27 points over the last five seasons (removing the year he was hurt), with no skill to go with that speed, just isn't my idea of a target to overpay when they hit free agency.
Franzen is under contract, he'll be around as long as he's healthy.

And you are using some ridiculously flawed math on Helm's production. His career average is 30+ points and if anything he is trending upwards on the offensive side. No skill? I could show you 20+ goals that show otherwise. How impressive has he been on the PK over the years? And his speed and tenacity constantly creates problems for the other team even if he's never going to a point-per-game player. Along with that he really seems to be developing a decent net-front game.
Rewarding the past? Last season was probably Helm's best ever.

I honestly don't know if we have room to keep Helm but sad that he's so underappreciated. There are reasons you see so many fans of other teams making trade proposals involving Helm.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Franzen is under contract, he'll be around as long as he's healthy.
Which is why he needs to relax and enjoy LTIR. Having two great games per month, likely followed by an impending stretcher ride and memory loss, isn't worth $4M annually.

And you are using some ridiculously flawed math on Helm's production. His career average is 30+ points and if anything he is trending upwards on the offensive side. No skill? I could show you 20+ goals that show otherwise. How impressive has he been on the PK over the years? And his speed and tenacity constantly creates problems for the other team even if he's never going to a point-per-game player. Along with that he really seems to be developing a decent net-front game.
Rewarding the past? Last season was probably Helm's best ever.

I honestly don't know if we have room to keep Helm but sad that he's so underappreciated. There are reasons you see so many fans of other teams making trade proposals involving Helm.
Agree to disagree, I guess. I view Darren Helm as a poor man's Kris Draper, who will undoubtedly be overpaid if he sticks around. A fine guy to have for cheap, but definitely not worth shelling out $3-4M per year, which is what he will get if he scores 15 goals and 35 points this year, sad as that is.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Sadly, I secretly know that... but I like to think otherwise. The organization loves him. I don't hate him by any means, but I'm not going to like the 5x5 contract he'll probably get.

If he stays with the wings, I think it'll be cheaper than that, but that's just a hunch. Not way cheaper, maybe around $4-4.5m a year, but with an extra year.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
It's like the guy is made out of glass or something, which really sucks because he's amazing :banghead:

I get bad luck and all but this was the same case with Kronwall early in his career, here's a hope that Helm goes on the same path.

Are you suggesting that if it was a different Wing in the same collision he would not have been injured?

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Wtf is going on in this thread with the Helm hate

When he's healthy and in the groove he's probably the best (true) 3rd line center in the league.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Wtf is going on in this thread with the Helm hate

When he's healthy and in the groove he's probably the best (true) 3rd line center in the league.
Which is cool. My complaint will be when he gets 2nd line center money for it.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Which is cool. My complaint will be when he gets 2nd line center money for it.
3-4 million is not 2nd line C money. 6-7 million is what you pay for a good 2nd line C (O'Reilly, Kesler, Krejci, Stastny) these days. Maybe 4-6 for a decent one (Filppula, Weiss, Soderberg).

3-4 million is 3rd line C money.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
It's like the guy is made out of glass or something, which really sucks because he's amazing :banghead:

I get bad luck and all but this was the same case with Kronwall early in his career, here's a hope that Helm goes on the same path.

Combo of bad luck, his style of play and his injury history. For example, If you have been concussed before, you could become more vulnerable for new concussions.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
What kind of drill 10min into camp puts players in a position to allow this to happen

You guys realize this was a hold over drill right? They said it is a drill they have run a lot. Not Grand Rapids has run a lot, like the entire organization runs a lot. Accidents do happen, but lets stop thinking this was some exotic new drill. Now Verrier is new, though he has been to a couple of our camps, just an unfortunate accident.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Khan is speculating that when Helm returns, Joker could be the one waived.

Imagine most of you guys would like that.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Yeah, Andersson is a very average fourth liner on a team with too many quality forwards. There's no room for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad